IGNORED

Room Correction: REW, REW+FabFilter ProEQ, Dirac or Other?

Okay, I've started experimenting with room correction. I'm using a Mac Mini with Audirvana and also have SoundSource to host system wide. It's just 2-channel, no subs. I've tried REW and my main issue with it is, altering the target curve is a pain, but even worse is trying different EQ renderings. Manually typing 48 data points into Apple Audio Units is no fun. If it was a once and done thing that would be okay, but we know that's not the case. I demoed FabFilter Pro-Q3 and think it could be wonderful sounding, but I'm an idiot savant (if that) and couldn't get a grasp of it before the demo expired. Now I'm demoing the Dirac Standalone beta for Mac. I love the way it let's me play with the Target curve, but I'm having a problem with female vocals. One track I've been focusing on is Stormy from Dave's True Story - Sex Without Bodies. Kelly's voice has been a problem for me previously. On my MartinLogan's her voice would make me tired of listening by the end of the album. On my new Revel's I don't have that problem, but her voice sounds a little canned, like she's singing in a bathroom. Maybe that is just the way it is with Chesky's mic & mastering and the new Revel's are bringing that out, as they are more revealing. Anyway, Dirac makes it worse. Plus, I don't think this beta versions is ready for prime-time, so I'm not willing to plop down $$ for it. Its' generated some tics & pops that are very disconcerting coming from my new speakers. So, now I'm not sure where to go from here? Try a different software, buy FabFilter and learn how to use it, wait for Dirac to get their stuff straight..? Any suggestions?

Server: Mac Mini 3.2GHz-i7, 512Gb - 16Gb macOS 13.x & Audirvana Origin  DAC: Benchmark DAC3B  Linestage: Benchmark LA4  Amp: Benchmark AHB2 x2  Speakers: Revel F328Be

When you're racing... it's Life. Anything that happens before or after, it's just waiting.
- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

For some reason, I didn't see the Mac "plug-in" option when I downloaded the Standalone beta. Still I'm not sure that will deal with the tonality issue I've encountered. The tics & pops I believe are buffer latency issues, just not sure which way to correct them, as the setting are what they suggest. That said, the plug-in would be more preferable to me, BUT more important  to me is getting the best sound from my system and in that regard I have no vendor preference/loyalty. 

Server: Mac Mini 3.2GHz-i7, 512Gb - 16Gb macOS 13.x & Audirvana Origin  DAC: Benchmark DAC3B  Linestage: Benchmark LA4  Amp: Benchmark AHB2 x2  Speakers: Revel F328Be

When you're racing... it's Life. Anything that happens before or after, it's just waiting.
- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Don’t download the beta version! The stable release will allow you to install the Dirac Audio Processor in which you install the filter(s) that you have created using the Dirac Live measurement tool. You then select the DAP as a AU plug-in from within Audirvana. It’s been working perfectly for me for quite a while now.

Okay, so I deleted the beta Standalone Processor and purchased the plug-in. I'm still getting the clicks & pops. There are no setting with the plug-in, that I can see and not much "help" available on the Dirac website. I've got no idea how to correct this or what's causing it. I've even logged into Dirac and then went to submit a Support request, it asks you to login again. I did that and it tells me my login information is incorrect 🙄. I'm close to asking for a refund. Very frustrating.

- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

How did you take your measurements? Have you created multiple filters? And have you enabled the real time DSD option in the plug-in ? I’m presuming that it pops up when you play a song (it should!) .Have you tried at that point to enable and disable the filter and does that make a difference?

On 7/3/2021 at 4:20 AM, Martini said:

Okay, I've started experimenting with room correction. I'm using a Mac Mini with Audirvana and also have SoundSource to host system wide. It's just 2-channel, no subs. I've tried REW and my main issue with it is, altering the target curve is a pain, but even worse is trying different EQ renderings. Manually typing 48 data points into Apple Audio Units is no fun. If it was a once and done thing that would be okay, but we know that's not the case. I demoed FabFilter Pro-Q3 and think it could be wonderful sounding, but I'm an idiot savant (if that) and couldn't get a grasp of it before the demo expired. Now I'm demoing the Dirac Standalone beta for Mac. I love the way it let's me play with the Target curve, but I'm having a problem with female vocals. One track I've been focusing on is Stormy from Dave's True Story - Sex Without Bodies. Kelly's voice has been a problem for me previously. On my MartinLogan's her voice would make me tired of listening by the end of the album. On my new Revel's I don't have that problem, but her voice sounds a little canned, like she's singing in a bathroom. Maybe that is just the way it is with Chesky's mic & mastering and the new Revel's are bringing that out, as they are more revealing. Anyway, Dirac makes it worse. Plus, I don't think this beta versions is ready for prime-time, so I'm not willing to plop down $$ for it. Its' generated some tics & pops that are very disconcerting coming from my new speakers. So, now I'm not sure where to go from here? Try a different software, buy FabFilter and learn how to use it, wait for Dirac to get their stuff straight..? Any suggestions?

I have several customers running Focus Fidelity (https://www.focusfidelity.com/) software on a windows via bootcamp on a Mac. Perhaps not ideal for a Mac user but the ease of use they find in the application itself tends to make up for that, you can still use the filters exported from the Focus Fidelity software in mac applications. You might also like to consider https://accuratesound.ca/products.html as a solution for playback.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 8:32 PM, Martini said:

Okay, so I deleted the beta Standalone Processor and purchased the plug-in. I'm still getting the clicks & pops. There are no setting with the plug-in, that I can see and not much "help" available on the Dirac website. I've got no idea how to correct this or what's causing it. I've even logged into Dirac and then went to submit a Support request, it asks you to login again. I did that and it tells me my login information is incorrect 🙄. I'm close to asking for a refund. Very frustrating.

Most probaly the reason why your credentials are not accepted is the fact that a dedicaated account needs to be created,

a bit confusing... I agree, but we'll be pleased to help if you'll contact us on our HelpDesk.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)