Jump to content
IGNORED

Article: You Can Take It With You


Recommended Posts

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, yahooboy said:

Well, I chose the easy way out and synced to Apple Music.

All of My own music synced to anywhere I have access to the internet (sort of lossless)

 

That's definitely one alternative. 🙂

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there an android app instead of AVSub?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

This seems like an awful lot of work to duplicate the Qobuz app...

 

I've got lots of stuff I like to listen to that isn't available on Qobuz. The reverse is also true, that there are infinite numbers of tracks in Qobuz I don't care for. So something like shuffle play over my collection is possible here, but wouldn't work in Qobuz. Both are great to have available.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, firedog said:

Is there an android app instead of AVSub?

 

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/apps.jsp

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jud said:

Sorry for being obtuse. I somehow totally missed that page.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest beta version of iPfire will allow you a even more simpler way. 

I need to test myself first.

 

IPfire will replace your router / DHCP server. 
 

In theory it should allow you Roon remotely. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Latest beta version of iPfire will allow you a even more simpler way. 

I need to test myself first.

 

IPfire will replace your router / DHCP server. 
 

In theory it should allow you Roon remotely. 

 

Roon has major issues if you aren’t on the same subnet. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites

……yes, usually.  When I used this some time ago with ipCop, (iPfire is a fork of ipCop), it was like sitting on my home network. 
I can browse my files on the remote computer as I was home, everything was as I was locally. Using RDT on my virtual PC (Hyper V), was using same ip as if local. So no other subnet. 
 

Anyway, I shouldn’t pollute this tread more 😀

 

I know you’re good at networking, so if time, you may check out iPfire. Here you can have even create subnets in order to have pure audiophile network as well at home. If I ever find time I write about it. I have the installation here with dual SFP’s.

 

SW is free. It cost you between $200 and maybe up to $400 in HW, depending of speed requirements combined with your personal firewall requirements. 
 

However you can test this on any old PC, as long as you have dual network interfaces. And this is how one should start. To familiarize yourself with this way of managing your network. 10 years old PC is fine. 
 

So actually I know for sure, those that have two locations, and like the network to look as you’re at home, use iPfire or similar, (not that I know any good options) and you don’t even use the road warrior function, but direct connection. 
 

Road warrior is more, as name indicates, when you’re one the move, and need access locally to your home network. (Still functioning is is equal). 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, firedog said:

Sorry for being obtuse. I somehow totally missed that page.

 

You're not, I miss stuff on the site all the time and have to Google to get there.  :-)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If Qobuz had all my Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions, and Three Blind Mice albums, I wouldn’t need this. 

 

5 hours ago, Jud said:

 

I've got lots of stuff I like to listen to that isn't available on Qobuz. The reverse is also true, that there are infinite numbers of tracks in Qobuz I don't care for. So something like shuffle play over my collection is possible here, but wouldn't work in Qobuz. Both are great to have available.

 

Different courses for different horses I guess.

No electron left behind...

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

……yes, usually.  When I used this some time ago with ipCop, (iPfire is a fork of ipCop), it was like sitting on my home network. 
I can browse my files on the remote computer as I was home, everything was as I was locally. Using RDT on my virtual PC (Hyper V), was using same ip as if local. So no other subnet. 
 

Anyway, I shouldn’t pollute this tread more 😀

 

I know you’re good at networking, so if time, you may check out iPfire. Here you can have even create subnets in order to have pure audiophile network as well at home. If I ever find time I write about it. I have the installation here with dual SFP’s.

 

SW is free. It cost you between $200 and maybe up to $400 in HW, depending of speed requirements combined with your personal firewall requirements. 
 

However you can test this on any old PC, as long as you have dual network interfaces. And this is how one should start. To familiarize yourself with this way of managing your network. 10 years old PC is fine. 
 

So actually I know for sure, those that have two locations, and like the network to look as you’re at home, use iPfire or similar, (not that I know any good options) and you don’t even use the road warrior function, but direct connection. 
 

Road warrior is more, as name indicates, when you’re one the move, and need access locally to your home network. 
 

 

I don't mind alternative ideas in the thread at all.  The way I've described is just the one I personally wound up preferring so far.

 

If one wanted really portable remote access to files kept at home on an IPFire installation, for example with a phone, would you do it through IPFire's VPN?  Is there a specific app, or simply the phone's web browser?  Would you be able, for example, to play 24/96 or 24/192 files without converting to 24/48?

 

Thanks for any information you may have.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

 

 

Different courses for different horses I guess.

 

Absolutely.  Note that it isn't either/or but both/and (I use the Qobuz app remotely on my phone also).

 

Edit: It's sort of a curated playlist idea, if the playlist was huge, you were the one who curated it over the course of many years, and Qobuz had all the music you wanted on your playlist.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jud said:

Thanks for any information you may have.

The only limitation is the speed available 😀

20 minutes ago, Jud said:

for example with a phone, would you do it through IPFire's VPN? 

Yes, from latest information from iPfire project:

https://blog.ipfire.org/post/ipfire-2-25-core-update-158-available-for-testing
 

(I only used OpenVPN before, so I don’t know about IPSec, but there shouldn’t be any difference). 
 

I want to comment on why you need a DNS service. Maybe not all readers understand why it’s needed. 
And actually it’s not if you know you have a fixed official IP address. (Which normally cost money). 
https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-dns/

 

So simple explanation is that you create a name unique to you on a service, and that service ensures whatever IP you have locally, you only use that name to access your home network. So it doesn’t matter if your local IP changes. You will always be able to access home.
 

(Hm, wonder if that ever will happen to phone numbers 😀….well WhatsApp and similarities is almost that).


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

……yes, usually.  When I used this some time ago with ipCop, (iPfire is a fork of ipCop), it was like sitting on my home network. 
I can browse my files on the remote computer as I was home, everything was as I was locally. Using RDT on my virtual PC (Hyper V), was using same ip as if local. So no other subnet. 
 

Anyway, I shouldn’t pollute this tread more 😀

 

I know you’re good at networking, so if time, you may check out iPfire. Here you can have even create subnets in order to have pure audiophile network as well at home. If I ever find time I write about it. I have the installation here with dual SFP’s.

 

SW is free. It cost you between $200 and maybe up to $400 in HW, depending of speed requirements combined with your personal firewall requirements. 
 

However you can test this on any old PC, as long as you have dual network interfaces. And this is how one should start. To familiarize yourself with this way of managing your network. 10 years old PC is fine. 
 

So actually I know for sure, those that have two locations, and like the network to look as you’re at home, use iPfire or similar, (not that I know any good options) and you don’t even use the road warrior function, but direct connection. 
 

Road warrior is more, as name indicates, when you’re one the move, and need access locally to your home network. (Still functioning is is equal). 
 


Be careful, just be cause you can access stuff directly, doesn’t mean your on the same subnet. I VPN into my house all the time and can access anything. But, Roon works 20% of the time because my router won’t hand out an ip on the same subnet. 
 

I’ll check out iPfire. Very interesting if it works. Thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps another article is coming :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only internet radio I listen to is Radio Paradise.  For my own music I use my qnap cloud and it works fairly well although slow to access.  I just pickup up an iPhone 12 and I use BT earbuds so not getting lossless.  I am contemplating repurposing my Pixel 2 XL as a music player (DAP) as it has reasonably up to date Android and good apps...USB Audio Player Pro.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear R7800 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBT->iFi xDSD->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: Squeeze Commander (DroidX) & iPeng (iPad Air); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: Sony NWZ_ZX1 & ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  Wish List: New DAC,  SBT replacement; Dream system: Linn EXACT or ATC Active or Big Tubes (KR or Nagra or Shindo or ...)

 

My goal is to use appliances and take home PC out of the chain...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2021 at 1:59 PM, R1200CL said:

I want to comment on why you need a DNS service. Maybe not all readers understand why it’s needed. 
And actually it’s not if you know you have a fixed official IP address. (Which normally cost money). 
https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-dns/

 

So simple explanation is that you create a name unique to you on a service, and that service ensures whatever IP you have locally, you only use that name to access your home network. So it doesn’t matter if your local IP changes. You will always be able to access home.

 

Just a note that this reminds me of:

 

These days ISPs in my experience won't change your IP address for months at a time, even if you supposedly have a dynamic IP address rather than a static one.  But if you find that suddenly your setup isn't working for no reason you can see, check to see if your ISP has changed your IP address.

 

On Windows type in a command prompt:

 

ipconfig

 

In Linux, type in a terminal:

 

ip addr

 

If your IP address for the outside world has changed, you'll need to go to the domain name service and change your IP there accordingly.  (There's no charge for this at iwantmyname.com; not sure about other services.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...