IGNORED

Mediocre to Poor Classical Label DSD Offerings

Yesterday I praised a new release of Richter's classic Liszt concerti with Kirill Kondrashin and the LSO (1961) from HDTT (https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/products/liszt-piano-concerto-no-1-and-2-sviatoslav-richer-piano-kiril-kondrashin-lso?_pos=325&_sid=5169a9f9c&_ss=r), contrasting it with the recent DSD release from Tower Japan.  I'm starting another thread here so as not to detract from that excellent HDTT offering with my negative thoughts.  This was by no means the first dud I'd received recently from the "Tower Records Definition Series."  Among others, I thought the new Böhm/VPO Bruckner 3/4 SACD was also substandard.  I'd like to see the major classical labels called out more frequently for bad product, particularly the relatively prolific Tower Japan machine.  Perhaps they are and I just don't know about  it.  I never fully understand the marketing apparatus from Universal Classics Japan anyway, who regularly gets early to exclusive right for many remastered European classics.  The only answer I ever got from the chief at DG was "it's complicated."  Brilliant.

Here's one I had my eye on, but now have on hold:

アルバン・ベルク四重奏団/ベートーヴェン: 中期弦楽四重奏曲集(第7-9番「ラズモフスキー第1-3番」、第10番「ハープ」、第11番「セリオーソ」)<タワーレコード限定> (tower.jp)

I thought some of these Tower exclusives made their way into normal label releases later.  Maybe that's the "complicated" part.  If anyone knows the inner workings of the Euro-Japanese label relationships, please let us know.  I speak mostly with reference to Universal Classics.

To be fair, this Warner was terrific, the DSD here better than a later PCM download (#1 only):

ジョン・バルビローリ/エルガー: 交響曲第1番、第2番、序曲「フロワッサール」、エレジー、ため息、歌曲集「海の絵」<タワーレコード限定> (tower.jp)