IGNORED

Best way to feed a Gungnir Multibit Gen V, for $450 or less

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Don't quote me on it, but I bet it happens at DSD rates.

Unfortunately I can't test, because the Pi is hooked up to a Schiit Modius, which does not decode DSD. The system does play 192/24 FLAC,  which has higher processing requirements than DSD. My recollection is that DSD and 2X DSD played just fine when I had the iFi iOne in that system.

CD-quality audio encodes using a bit depth of 16 and a sample rate of 44.1kHz (16/44.1kHz), whereas a standard DSD file, also known as DSD64, is roughly equivalent to a bit depth of 24 and a sample rate of 88.2kHz (24/88.2kHz).

https://www.off-the-beat.com/what-is-dsd/

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 10:26 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Don't quote me on it, but I bet it happens at DSD rates.

I had a chance to test the RP1 3B+ with the DSD-capable iOne. My memory may have been faulty. I played one 2X DSD song with no problem, using Volumio in DSD Direct mode. Subsequent DSD and 2X DSD files stuttered. Changing to DoP wouldn't play DSD files at all. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same DAC and am a little ahead of you on this exploration.

You should get a Pi4 and HiFiBerry DigiPro2 for an inexpensive and substantial upgrade to your current configuration, within your budget. Moving away from USB and to a clean streamer will make a substantial improvement.

Pi3 vs Pi4, coax vs BNC, variations in HAT, ... These are insignificant differences.

The iOne is currently connected via USB to an sMS-200 with linear power supply. It scaled very well, sound quality is better than I ever thought it could be, and plays 2X DSD, clean as a whistle.

The RPi 3B+ is in another system, connected by dual head USB cable to an iPurifier2 and Schiit Eitr, coax out to a Modius. The Modius doesn't play DSD, but I don't much care because I only have a few demonstration files.

I disagree that coax is superior. They can both be very good, but USB has technical advantages.

https://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/USB_SPDIF.htm

6 hours ago, Woland said:

No doubt there are situations where USB is equal or superior.

However the thread is asking about a specific DAC which has a bad USB implementation and a very good SPDIF (coax,BNC) implementation.

I see what happened now. I assumed you were responding to my post. You might try quoting the post you are replying to in future.

The iFi Zen Stream seems to be a decent solution for $399. It can output both USB and S/PDIF. It's based around VolumeIO. I have one in for testing at the moment and I feel that it's at least better than USB direct from one of my Mac Minis to my Yggdrasil.

I use one of these https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/accessories/products/ultradigital-usb-to-spdif-and-lvds-i2s-converter?variant=1238811639823

with an ifi power adapter, you should be within budget. 

i find it to sound quite a bit better than the gungnir’s USB input (gen 2). I would say, unless you want to do the unison upgrade, use a BNC source. A PI2AES would probably be great as well, tho ive never owned one.