Jump to content
IGNORED

Audiowise Opto-USB, SRC-DX and early experiments with the Chord Qutest before moving to TT2


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, edwardsean said:

It seems like Audiowise and PGGB are partnering together in some ways, and I just think that's fantastic.

 

I'd say SRC.DX opens the doors to all software based solutions. HQPlayer certainly benefits from it as well. 

 

I like the fact I have ability to upgrade the software as@Miska keeps improving and adding to HQPlayer all the time. It feels like the whole system advances advances over time and doesn't stand still. I don't need to change/sell the hardware each time to gain these improvements.

 

PGGB adds to this in the sense I've used it for my favourite albums but as I listen to mainly streaming material, I'd say HQP is 90-95% of my listening.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that that there's always more to extract from your current setup....More rabbit holes than Watership down.. the director cut....

This one isn't...👍 a shame but this should come as standard for Chord's..

 

I've chased this EMI shielding into my LPS1.0s and into my HPA now. Like a crazy mixture of tomorrow's world and Blue Peter (sorry more Old brit pop culture)

 

But bugger me its worked wonders..

But it was the CHORD DAC shielding that did the most profound change...

 

Keep smiling gents

 

Dave🙂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Middy said:

I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that that there's always more to extract from your current setup....More rabbit holes than Watership down.. the director cut....

This one isn't...👍 a shame but this should come as standard for Chord's..

 

I've chased this EMI shielding into my LPS1.0s and into my HPA now. Like a crazy mixture of tomorrow's world and Blue Peter (sorry more Old brit pop culture)

 

But bugger me its worked wonders..

But it was the CHORD DAC shielding that did the most profound change...

 

Keep smiling gents

 

Dave🙂

 

😂😂😂More rabbit holes than Watership down

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can post this here I thinks 🤔

 

I broke into the SRC-DX...

Very nicely made clean board.. 1 FPGA think a HUB chip and x2 clocks..

 

Gents i can't overstate the gains I've accumulated doing these minor EMI mods... nothing wow singular but a forward step each time the Qutest the greatest in one step.

 

I did my DXP-1A5DSC regulators with case my second Ghent DC cable and now the internals of the SRC DX..

 

My main guide for gains has been a tiny part of Janis Ian's track at 17.

These a bell strike thats now a crystal clear ring that carries through.. female vocals just lovely.. Timpani razer sharp, bass deeper transients clear and cleaner....

I joked about comparing a TT2 now I want to compare a baseline Dave😁.

But you get the point,... its really worked one positive step at a time. 

But i am a 1 off case, so just a mad man with scissor's..

 

Same again FPGA clocks and ICs.  The USB shell and inner case for any reflections to be attenuated....

 

 I am one happy camper now... just my RCA cables and my Meanwell supplies in my HPA..

Something to read at least and see the inside of your new toy.....

 

Cheapest upgrade ever...

 

Take care

 

David😇👍

 

 

20210718_125719.jpg

20210718_125709.jpg

20210718_115736.jpg

20210718_114640.jpg

20210718_114033.jpg

20210718_113235.jpg

20210717_143359.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gavin1977  ....would you say from your experience that the SQ improvement from using the SRC-DX is more significant than upgrading the power supply from stock to LPS?  (cost is roughly the same).  And does the uplift in quality depend on using HQ Player to upsample? In my case, I use an OpticalRendu that's limited to Roon - so HQP is not an option.

 

Aside from from that....I'm wondering how the SRC-DX would compare with the similar cost Denafrips Iris DDC, converting USB into Toslink? 

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

I use an OpticalRendu that's limited to Roon - so HQP is not an option.

Hi. I use an OpticalRendu as an NAA with HQP embedded.

You probably meant that your Server can’t host HQP for some reason, but if it can, it’s a worthwhile investment IMHO. The developer releases regular updates, so it’s not standing still either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah.......maybe your OR is the ‘Roon Edition’........in which case, ignore the above. Personally speaking, I think the SRC-DX beats USB regardless of what you send it (even with ‘only’ Roon).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding a JS-2 to the oR was a very nice uplift. Adding the JS-2 to the TT2 was nice but more subtle. Tweaking the presentation. Adding the SRC-DX I think resulted in the biggest change… for me anyway. 
 

I’d imagine the USB cable is going to influence the outcome as well as BNC cables. More so the USB though. I have to say I think the SRC-DX is one of the best value for money upgrades, especially with dual BNC Chord DACs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoNaim said:

 

I’d imagine the USB cable is going to influence the outcome as well as BNC cables. More so the USB though. I have to say I think the SRC-DX is one of the best value for money upgrades, especially with dual BNC Chord DACs.

Both USB and BNC cables make a large difference. It’s hard to estimate which makes the bigger difference, but both are worth the investment. I’m using a Sablon 2020 for the USB. However, if your configuration physically allows for you to use Uptone’s USPCB, it is a cheap way to get a very clean, high quality connection. That way you could concentrate on the BNC cables until you’re ready to upgrade the USB. 

 

The SRC-DX does represent a great value against other DDCs. If you need multiple I/Os then, of course, its not the solution for you. However, if you need dual BNC for Chord DACs, it is the only solution. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, edwardsean said:

Both USB and BNC cables make a large difference. It’s hard to estimate which makes the bigger difference, but both are worth the investment. I’m using a Sablon 2020 for the USB. However, if your configuration physically allows for you to use Uptone’s USPCB, it is a cheap way to get a very clean, high quality connection. That way you could concentrate on the BNC cables until you’re ready to upgrade the USB. 

 

The SRC-DX does represent a great value against other DDCs. If you need multiple I/Os then, of course, its not the solution for you. However, if you need dual BNC for Chord DACs, it is the only solution. 

 

Once I'm happy that I'm used to how everything sounds now, I'll try a few other BNC cables. I have the Tellurium Q Silver Diamond USB which I'm really happy with. Although, it isn't the most flexible, it does sound incredible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BlueDL said:

Ah.......maybe your OR is the ‘Roon Edition’........in which case, ignore the above. Personally speaking, I think the SRC-DX beats USB regardless of what you send it (even with ‘only’ Roon).

 

Correct.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NoNaim said:

Adding a JS-2 to the oR was a very nice uplift. Adding the JS-2 to the TT2 was nice but more subtle. Tweaking the presentation. Adding the SRC-DX I think resulted in the biggest change… for me anyway. 
 

I’d imagine the USB cable is going to influence the outcome as well as BNC cables. More so the USB though. I have to say I think the SRC-DX is one of the best value for money upgrades, especially with dual BNC Chord DACs.


I had a similar reaction to the JS-2 powering my TT2.  It worked wonders powering a few other devices, but a more subtle lift with the TT2.  
 

The Farad Super3 was a different story altogether.  The lift from this made it one of the best value for the money upgrades.  I think I said at the time it landed that it was a steal.  It gets even better though as it scales really well with a better power cord.

 

I’ve yet to try the SRC-DX, but it’s on my list of things to try at some point.  Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

 

 

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha and Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, kennyb123 said:


I had a similar reaction to the JS-2 powering my TT2.  It worked wonders powering a few other devices, but a more subtle lift with the TT2.  
 

The Farad Super3 was a different story altogether.  The lift from this made it one of the best value for the money upgrades.  I think I said at the time it landed that it was a steal.  It gets even better though as it scales really well with a better power cord.

 

I’ve yet to try the SRC-DX, but it’s on my list of things to try at some point.  Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

 

 

 

I have minimal space for my system... in my office, so only space for one LPS. I did look at the Farad Super 3 but it's a fixed voltage and only one rail so it lost out to the JS-2... which is excellent with the oR.

 

Yes, definitely give the SRC-DX a try... see if you can get a demo of one if you can!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...