IGNORED

Audiowise Opto-USB, SRC-DX and early experiments with the Chord Qutest before moving to TT2

8 hours ago, Middy said:

Hi Gavin, Nick linked your article and gives me hope it might be right in my simple chain. No DSD or upscaling. 

Just bypassing the internal USB on the Qutest. Until my aerospace job has a bit more security I've cut right back.

I am only of using a friend's free Spotify Prem and pimped a Win 10 Nuc for as low latency hacks I could do..

Pro audio tips no power savings on usb bus  Ethernet.. opened the cores, FSB, bios ect... QuickCPU  prog to. Open the cores...

Nothing fancy but I sold some bits nearly gets me there for the SRC DX... Why I've been lurking not much to add on AS just enjoying others journeys😉👍

I watched the DX and the opto get released with great interest and Raydude go for the opto links..

I didn't think a non upsampling Low data rate would be worth getting the DX for my Qutest...

No power pc HQP or upscaler..

Wasn't sure what extra benefit dual BNC gives, what my little  USB chain can add.. isoregen lps1 IFI bits..

Nick tried it and liked on his old Qutest. But he's has those beautiful cables..

I said I may, as I am so on the fence he'd have me for trespassing....

An indecisive rambling post Gavin... sorry mate..

Marginal gain refinement in my case?

Or a worthy boost well worth a punt..?

I don't want to waste my little Audio savings or waste anyone's time or good will...

But thank for your impressions and nice to see you post, thank you 👍

For a bargain basement set up In your opinion and no pressure..

either way do it? Lol 

Take care

Dave 😉

No worries.

SRC-DX provides the same noteworthy benefits to either straight PCM (single bnc cable) or Upsampled (dual bnc).  If you want to get a taste of what it does try comparing the qutest or other chord DAC on USB vs optical.  The thing the SRC-DX does beyond this is add more texture, and it’s very noticeable.  Now I didn’t have a range of BNC cables to play with, just the wave storm, so I can’t tell you how much of the impact was cable vs SRC-DX (so that is a point I should have made clear in the article).  Either way, for chord DACs I think it’s great.

7 hours ago, davide256 said:

Couldn’t sort out from the above… did you use the SRC DX/ dual BNC with the Qutest and if so what were your thoughts?

I actually didn’t have time with the qutest, just the TT2 and the DAVE.  However based on my prior experiments with the qutest I can tell you with a large degree of certainty that it’s going to have the same effect.

1 hour ago, BlueDL said:

Hi Middy,

Is the logic there to feed the Qutest with an optical cable?

I tried something similar using a Matrix X-SPDIF2 into my TT2, half expecting to hear ‘RF busting benefits’ from it. But there was little if any difference versus going USB direct into TT2, and that was using a QED Reference glass optical cable too (which is great value given its spec).

No idea how the Qutest’s USB input fairs against it’s optical input or compares to the TT2 implementation (no experience of Qutest), so others may be able to advise or ‘chime in’ here.

X-spdif 2 sounds good because I’m sending it double regulated power from a JCAT USB Xe - feeding it anything lower and it loses the magic.

Pink Faun Spdif bridge with ultraclock is the best, but serious money for a few percent uplift over the above.

Now that I’ve discovered opto-USB and SRC-DX that is the better route.  X-spdif 2 has lots of use scenarios through.

42 minutes ago, Middy said:

A Chord Qutest lurkers tale. SRC DX

Everything matters..does it?

I watched the SRC DX and optos come out and thought yer ok, another toy. 

Maybe another Nth degree small improvement.

Ray Dudes great review on head fi was for the Optos and all the optional extras... power lps's and if wanted RFI EMI shielded boxes to maximise the SQ delta ect.. Out of my league and no chance of an Chord upscaler anyway.. in my case its the Starter Chord Qutest...

Finally backed up in reference to using Dave's Amanero USB implementation and the Uber TAIKO  extreme thread on WB's forum. Its holding the Dave back..

Even the with PBBG or HQP, with a good powerful PC and more apacer 'RAM' than a super tanker full of male sheep.. explored here on AS.

The SRC DX is for the high-end upscaling guys only and good on them, for pushing the envelope and their enjoyment in this hobby.🙂👍

But those 2 BNC's connectors just keep mocking me.. sat there doing nothing... Wheres my up scaler Middy?

In conclusion the SRC DX is a no brainer for me.. put simply its made the DAC sound like the DAC i hoped it would be. Not a little but a lot more.

Thrilled if it was just another layer of micro detail or a bit more sound stage.  This is everything just better.. details SQ bass vocals..smoothness transients...better than USB alone.

whats that means to you ? I don't know, it's the audiophile trap sorry.. The price of admission is knowing for yourself...but no doubt in you can't miss its effects ..

Is the chord USB that bad?

Probably not but things move on. Rob always had Chord owners filling forum threads with glass Toslink arguments and giant car batteries tripping up wife's in bedrooms around the world..

Anyone want 3 Toshlinks going cheap..

Is the SRC DX that good? 

Our hobby is full of well made DDC's, low phase noise world clock box's and USB converters I can't compare too.

I can't tell you if DSD sounds good, i am only using a single cheap 30cm BNC cable..i have its twin coming today and a simple CCTV coupling later.. 

I just know it works well and makes the DAC shine... or finally show Mr Watts creative designs in its best light.

Will it scale up the Chord family...? 

Posts seem to say TT2 users and Dave owners seem too anecdotally...

I am i getting a free TT2 i hope so or near!! But doesn't matter i am happy.

Everything matters and never a free lunch.. ?

My Qutest has an LPS1.0,  A DXP-1A5DSC and a IFI DC purifier 2 hanging of it... fed by an IFi AC purifier and balanced isolation transformer... 4 expensive black and blue fuses...

My euphony trial £90 ebay Celeron NUC with Apacer Ram, Mu metal and tape shielding fanless case added.. not even Roon tidal or Qobuz.. win10 and Basic fidelizer...

ISOREGEN and LPS1.0 and more cleaning the stream up..

No not at all is this hobby ever a free lunch. At what ever level...😐

The point being i am positive better upstream equipment would still be of benefit using a Chord DAC in the sense scaled benefits.. streamers and PCs.

I am just basking in my play list to try experiments with the USB cleaners or think about a Mid-fi cables upgrades..

There still plenty of tinkering we love there to play with.. For that extra % gains..

I am not here to convince you either way. Just give another perspective and option And I hope it helps... i am the least of us and not even that knowledgeable...

This tiny box give me freedom to use my current setup and bypass the Chord USB. 

Everything matters should be qualified with ..Everything matters if it matters to you.

The SRC DX matters in my set up and I really like what its made my DAC into...

Thank you to everyone on AS and beyond for your help, I hope this pays a fraction back..

Good luck regardless 

Kind regards

Dave

Good to know that it’s working well for you.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Middy said:

Hi @edwardseanreally glad its improved your setup. I am still not sure of whats so special about the DX. 

Would any old DDC do the job? But sounds so much better than USB alone.

My experiments are paying off on my little set up. Shielding, RAM cables, USB connectors on my pc worked but adding EMI absorber much more so..

3M AB5030.

The xilinx in my intona some ICs and USB connector shells.. a touch more SQ with 3m

Custom shielded supra cable shortened...Tick...

Windows debloater and scripts very nice..opening cores ect no power saving throttling for low latency... Big tick....

The main drive being EMI RFI the DX designer bases his products and engineering principles on....

The Qutest will be the last to be stripped and shielded.... i never knew about noise being reflect about the case not just noisy FPGAs and clocks transmitting RF emi..  pure luck but its working out and better SQ. Fingers crossed for the dac...

Lastly i just got this... from his website.

The intona ipurifier should block DC but it seems to help... subtle YMMV ECT

One thing you'll need is an adapter as its  a male/female in-line filter..

From a DX you need a female to female..

"DC•BLOCK Leakage Current Isolation – AudioWise" https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/products/gnd-zro-signal-ground-isolation

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNC-MALE-to-MALE-COUPLER-ADAPTER-FOR-TV-CCTV-CAMERA-CABLE-JOINER-CONNECTOR-/332086047040?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

If you asked me 2 weeks my system was ok.  Eye's closed i could be tricked into believing its a good streamer TT2.

Finally a real step up in sound quality not perceived mini gains or marginal at best...

So happy..

Dave...

DC•BLOCK, gosh it never ends - but might be good if you can use this to directly connect the SRC-DX to Chord DAC rather than using a pair of cables?  I also like the idea of ultra short spdif links.

SRC-DX definitely does something special - I have used x-spdif 2 before this which gave nice boost, but SRC-DX is superior. 

You are right that you can get the qutest to (almost) scale upto SQ of a TT2 - will be interesting how far TT2 scales above this.

19 hours ago, Middy said:

Is that a 24 bit 32 bit limit mentioned on the PGGB thread?. Or an optical limitation?

Apologies as OP Gavin, i moved the EMI experiments off the DX  RFI design and posted them into to Qutest thread.

I just got excited as the SQ increased so much using the EMI Absorbing tape like a big kid... ill stick to hijacking plane's... but thank you for the SRC-DX advice... i can never go back to using the USB in..

Cheers

David

Hi David - no worries, I like the shared knowledge!

24 bit / 32 bit - good point.  I was trying to pass 32fs 1411 and it didn’t work with Opto-USB in place.  Remove it and go JCAT USB Xe direct and it works fine.  I haven’t tried 16/24/32 rates so don’t know if it’s this or optical issue which creates the problem for Opto-USB, however it can’t pass 32fs 1411.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, davide256 said:

Received the SRC-DX, am pleased so far. Most of my music has been PGGB converted to 706/768 but , music is being down converted

to the single coax 353/384 limit. Feels like energy that was going into a more aggressive treble end (irritating!) has shifted into a more cohesive midrange. Getting best sound so

far using an AQ Eagle Eye coax with adaptors at either end (BNC to RCA at SRC-DX, RCA to mini RCA at Mojo). My other cable options sounded thinner/brighter in comparison

whereas the AQ cable sounds tube like for mid range bloom. Much happier using SRC-DX at 384 out on SPDIF than I was with Denafrips Iris at 192 out on SPDIF

Interesting… what DAC are you using it with?

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Running into something strange using the SRC-DX with a Metrum Octave I NOS DAC. The SRC-DX really helps makes the mid range and dynamics "pop"

with this DAC, much better result than with a Denafrips Iris

Can play 353 and 706 files fine, no down-sample limiting required. No speed indicator on the DAC so can't verify actual speed.

The 384/768 files don't sync/play unless I set a software limit of 353 to force down speeding

Has me wondering if the Octave has internal clock for 44.1k multiples but synthesizes clock for 48k? Just trying to figure out whats happening.

Any other Metrum DAC owners out there that have used SRC-DX and if so, how did your DAC behave with 3xx/7xx files into coax?

I can;t provide advice - but interested that your prefer it over the Iris.. Care to expand?

• 8 months later...
On 9/15/2022 at 5:37 AM, dericchan1 said:

I agreed. I have doubts if the transfer protocol is usb whether the clock of the pi makes any difference compared to a dedicated streamer.

the difference is more to do with noise control of the pi USB port compared to that of a higher quality streamer which may have a dedicated cleaner USB port.

I don’t use the SRC-DX, rather I connect my pi (powered by a shanti) usb out to an intona galvanic isolator before usb connection to a dac.

Tested on a friend’s Aqua La Scala dac which already has built-in galvanic isolation, and we still noted a subtle but notable lower noise floor compared to directly connect a pi usb to the DAC. Compared head to head with the Aqua LinQ streamer my friend took home for audition connecting through AES to the Aqua La Scala dac, and my friend ended up returning the LinQ.

Did your friend not try the i2s from the LinQ to La Scala?  Would be interested to find out more because I’m considering a demo of a LinQ.

By the way, I’ve now moved on from Opto-USB to Network Acoustic Muon.  Very expensive, but it works wonders.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Atriya said:

I agree. I just bought an OPTO-USB, and even with it, my Raspberry Pi 4 streamer sounds clearly superior to a laptop.

Can anyone shed light on why?

1. If the OPTO-USB eliminates all noise using optical fiber, noise is not the differentiator.

2. And my Chord Qutest is supposed to be immune to jitter (like all Chord DACs), so jitter shouldn't be the differentiator.

What then can distinguish one source from another, if noise and jitter are taken out the equation?

You’ll still have noise from the optical transceiver at either end, but you have complete isolation of upstream noise.

Chord quest is immune to jitter, but not noise/emi, thats why it works.