IGNORED

Audiowise Opto-USB, SRC-DX and early experiments with the Chord Qutest before moving to TT2

12 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

However that single USB from the K50 cannot handle 705 or 768kHz files from say PGGB or HQ Player and that is where the SRC-DX comes into play because it can take a USB signal at those rates and convert it to dual BNC suitable for Dave, TT2, Qutest etc.

my bad, I of course meant to say, “However that single BNC from the K50 cannot handle 705 or 768kHz files from say PGGB or HQ Player “

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
10 hours ago, creativepart said:

There is a STD and HIGH output switch - the instructions say to keep it at on HIGH (out) for Chord products.

My SRC-DX is used with various Chord products such as Qutest, Dave, Mscaler etc and I always use it on the STD output with all of them. I am not quite sure why AudioWise think that the HIGH setting might be better for Chord devices but my logic is to use the lowest output voltage that reliably works in case the high setting also increases any noise overlaid on the digital signal.

Anyway I hope you get the volume thing sorted. Dan is indeed helpful with such things.

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Atriya said:

I did not initially notice an improvement with the SRC-DX. At the time it was connected directly to my laptop. It was only when I replaced the laptop with a RPi powered by the Shanti that there was a very significant improvement. So, it's hard to say if the improvement was because of the RPi+Shanti itself, or because the RPi+Shanti just unlocked the performance of the SRC-DX.

That is interesting The SRC.DX is powered by the 5V usb rail from the source. So in your first setup with the laptop you were powering the SRC.DX with the 5V from the laptop.

I have an Innuos PhoenixUSB in line before the SRC.DX and so the SRC.DX is getting exceptionally clean power from the Sean Jacobs power supply within the PhoenixNET. I suspect that is helping me with the huge difference I hear by having the SRC.DX in my system connecting to the BNC input on my Mscaler. Also, the bnc cable from the SRC.DX does play a part in the sound quality and it will come as no surprise that I use my own WAVE Storm cable there.

ATC150 active speakers.

• 2 months later...

@Atriya I use an Innuos PhoenixUSB reclocker before my SRC.DX usb to bnc converter. I think the sound is still improved by using the Phoenix but to be honest I’m not sure how much of that is down to the quality of the 5V usb power rail outputted by the Sean Jacobs power supply in the Phoenix and  which of course is powering the SRC.DX. 

Whatever the reason I keep the Phoenix reclocker in my system. Whether this is the same for all other usb reclockers I do not know. 

ATC150 active speakers.

@LowOrbit Just on the Phoenix power, its regulator stage is DC4 but the rectifier / cap board is based on the DC3 so whilst the 5V from the Phoenix is indeed good, it is not probably 'as good as you can get'. I know this having gone through the upgrade stages with my Dave / Mscaler from DC3 to DC4 to ARC6 and where the only change with ARC6 is the rectifier / cap board and yet it makes a big difference. Just for fun I might therefore try powering the SRC.DX from a 5V ARC6 and I expect that might take the sound to a different level.

ATC150 active speakers.

30 minutes ago, Atriya said:

So, when using the SRC-DX, there is no benefit to upgrading upstream components such as the streamer/source, except that it might provide cleaner power? I use a Raspberry Pi 4 as source but am injecting 5V from a linear PS (Allo Shanti) just before the SRC-DX. So, upgrading the Pi to something like a SoTm SMS-200 Ultra which has a higher-quality clock should have no impact, and I should instead focus on upgrading the Shanti?

I'm not sure what you mean by "It clocks the output, doesn't need to "reclock". Since the USB input is clocked by the streamer, doesn't any further clocking by definition constitute a RE-clocking? And if the signal isn't clocked by the streamer, then why do streamers like the SoTm I mentioned above, advertise their high quality clocks?

I don't think you can say that upstream devices before the SRC.DX will not make a difference.

Even with a PhoenixUSB in the system I easily hear differences between say :-

1) Innuos Zenith / PhoenixUSB / SRC.DX  or 

2) Antipodes K50 / PhoenixUSB / SRC.DX

Of course the other thing that also makes an easily heard difference is which BNC cable(s) one uses from the SRC.DX to the DAC.

ATC150 active speakers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 10:52 PM, Atriya said:

So, noise in a source (e.g. laptop, RPi4) can degrade the digital signal itself in some way other than jitter? (Given that jitter can't be the factor, since I'm using a Chord DAC.)

What kind of degradation might this be? I thought the signal from any source, including a laptop, is bit-perfect when using and source files and software (in my case lossless files & HQPlayer WASAPI exclusive mode for laptop and NAA for Rpi4)?

The usual mechanism for noise overlaid on a digital signal to affect sound quality is for it to cause issues in the analogue stage of the DAC. The resulting IMD is easily heard even at low levels. Note that this is not background noise..

The fact that the signal is bit perfect does not protect it from this noise causing issues. The noise is mostly out of audio band noise and sometimes can be as high as RF.

Whilst the Opto-USB provides an optical break, the receiving end to convert the signal back to USB requires a 5V power source and I wonder if it is possible that will allow noise to flow in the ground plane and bypass the optical break.

ATC150 active speakers.