IGNORED

Audiowise Opto-USB, SRC-DX and early experiments with the Chord Qutest before moving to TT2

This move to the SRC-DX has really been interesting. I used to use it with my DAVE (+SeanJacobs PS), but then I got an Innous Phoenix and switched to USB. I’ve really been pleased with the Phoenix. 

Sine the Phoenix is designed for USB, I never thought to try and go from server to Phoenix to SRC-DX to DAVE BNC. Does that make sense to even attempt? 

From the response, I'm moving to purchase the SRC-DX again. However, I remember that I wasn't too happy with the quality of the included BNC cables. So, I'm looking into better cables. 

Please let me know some suggestions. I don't think I want to spend more than the price of the SRC-DX for the pair, so around $500.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MarkusBarkus said:

The guys on Head-Fi will turn into Head-Explosion-Fi if you say it, but: Dave sounds better (to me) when you by-pass Amanero USB workflow into Dave. Even single BNC input via a converter. Better with DC-4 mod too, but...shhhh...

I guess we’ll see soon enough. I’m originally from Headfi (hold for gasps) and I can’t not share all of this with the folks “back home.”

10 minutes ago, Middy said:

The thing thats so nice is anything short of a BNC out like a world clock..all the upstream USB chain stays in place... feeding the DX...

I know what you mean Markus..it seems that bit better

Fields of gold by Eva that bit intimate sharp but smooth...  Nancy Sinatra..

Janis Ian at 17...

Lovely..another few millimetres in the right direction...

Also, It’s so nice to be free of the squealing and loud bursts of white noise that came with 768 over USB. 

Eva… ahhh…. Such a loss. It makes that track so preternaturally poignant. 

1 hour ago, NoNaim said:

I’d imagine the USB cable is going to influence the outcome as well as BNC cables. More so the USB though. I have to say I think the SRC-DX is one of the best value for money upgrades, especially with dual BNC Chord DACs.

Both USB and BNC cables make a large difference. It’s hard to estimate which makes the bigger difference, but both are worth the investment. I’m using a Sablon 2020 for the USB. However, if your configuration physically allows for you to use Uptone’s USPCB, it is a cheap way to get a very clean, high quality connection. That way you could concentrate on the BNC cables until you’re ready to upgrade the USB. 

The SRC-DX does represent a great value against other DDCs. If you need multiple I/Os then, of course, its not the solution for you. However, if you need dual BNC for Chord DACs, it is the only solution. 

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Music123 said:

I like to thank everyone for sharing their experience with the SRC-DX. I was excited to find out about the SRC-DX because it made the dual-BNC connection of the Chord DAC accessible to those who did not buy an MScaler. I also felt that HQPlayer plus a powerful PC could be better than an MScaler, but we lacked the dual BNC connection until SRC-DX came into the picture. So, without hesitation, I purchased the SRC-DX. And later on, when I learned about the Opto-DX, I added that to the equipment chain.

Have you tried PGGB? It's worth trying and see what you think compared to HQP.