IGNORED

The development of Cascade Netgear GS105 x Giesemann OCXO Video Switch for Netflix and 4K YouTube

The development of Cascade Netgear GS105 x Giesemann OCXO Video Switch for Netflix and 4K YouTube

We received some customer asking for better switch for Netflix and 4K YouTube, they requires to have better picture quality and the switch requires to have sufficient throughput to provide the smoothness. While enhance the OCXO can improve alll Video and Sound quality for watching 4K movie or concert. They are trying to isolate, separate the switch independently for video and audio switch. 

Purchase Link

a.thumb.jpg.a8b92d0e3c20cfa016c229245ec7387f.jpg

This Netgear GS105 x Giesemann OCXO may be the very 1st switch in the world, which build-in OCXO at this sizes. Thanks you to the latest tecnhology and circuit design build by AfterDark's R&D!!!

Therefore, we started to modified some switch to fullfill the requirement for "Videophiles". We modified a well known Netgear ProSafe GS105 network switch. There is some special reason to choose this switch. It is well design, small factor in demension, very low heat and it is good to apply modification on power section on CPU, again most important is to bypass the clock section on the motherboard, so all the ports on the switch would benefit with OCXO, provide the best picture quaility for demand applications. 

The Cascade SE Edition

• Since we cascade the Buffalo GS-BS2016 in last Project ClayX, we planned to release the cascade version for "Videophile"
  • The Single and Double version will comes with AfterDark. AudiophileMAT Carbon Fiber 3mm at the top. This can provide the best EMI protection for OCXO and motherboard. 

thumbnail_image1.thumb.jpg.1e5ac91ce79ec261c657f0132c8b4a3f.jpg

The size is so small in dimension, the size is around 9.5cm x 10cm x 3cm. So, the most difficult part is how we feed the OCXO module inside and enhance the power section on CPU. The new Giesemann OCXO module was redesigned and much smaller in size to be placed inside the Netgear GS105. All the modification is hand solder with cares. 

c.thumb.jpg.fa052f151b4506225addb2c332aae3f4.jpg

Setting of Cascade is very possible and flexible for the small square dimension. Looks really nice with Carbon Fiber. 

1725730563_inside4.thumb.jpg.cc80cf35dc34649f71db6287f029b925.jpg

The OCXO module is at the right bottom, it provide the 25Mhz output to the motherboard

For the power requirement on CPU section, the CPU requires 1.2V DC. For the OCXO module, this requires 3.3V DC. All the power supply is enhance with LT3045 and TI's TPS7A4701 LDO Voltage Regulartor

Question and Answer

Will this OXCO modified switch good for Audiophile for audio?

• Yes, we test this unit on both Audio and Video, it can enhance audio perfromance too.
  • The soundstage is much wider and mirco dynamic increases, the sound is much smoother, analog and laid back. 
  • We found the noise at the background is reduced on Video, so the back colour is more clean. 

Why this OCXO switch can improve picture quality?

• The CPU inside the switch is bypassing the internal clock, using the OCXO clock will provide better phase noise and reduce jitter in signals. Thus, the picture quality is greatly improved, darkness and black color will vivid nicely. 
  • The linear power supply with ultra low noise is apply independently to CPU, OCXO and motherboard, it provide the best isolation for each devices. Much details representaion on video can be achieved, especially one dark background
  • The black become much darker with graduation on grey levels, it will be more impressive in large screen or projectors. 

Why Cascade the two Netgear GS105?

• The cascade of double switch means, the network signals willl reclocked twice with network switch which has OCXO optimisation, the sounding will be more refined and vocal is a bit sweeten. 

What is the DC voltage requires?

• One 5V 2.0A Linear Power Supply (LPS) is recommended 
  • The DC plug is on 2.1mm/5.5mm

Why do you need a full speed 1G port network switch for video? 

• 100Mps switch can can only support the playback of 1080p with limited 10Mbs. 
  • 4K Video require much higher bandwidth, 1G port  is minimum requirement, which can transfer up to 100Mbs. 
  • Video will playback natively without trasnscode to lower resolution, much smooth for 4K HDR10+, as it requires at lastest 25Mbs data transfer rate. 

What playback device should be connect to each ports of Negear GS105?

• Port 1: Connect to NAS (Storage of backup Blu Ray / 4K HDR ISO)
  • Port 2: Connect to Router
  • Port 3: The best sounding port connect the Network Music Streamer
  • Port 4: Oppo 4K Player / Roon Core
  • Port 5: TV ethernet port for Netflix and 4K YouTube playback

Why Netgear GS105? 

• This is well know to smooth sounding in normal retail version. The design is well implemented, five port in one direction, and power plug at the back. The motherboard is at 5th edition, very stable and easily to implement the mods. 
  • Size and low heat is another factor, for customer put inside the carbin and work fine without ventilations.
  • Commercial grade from Netgear, some good features like ProSafe, Jumbo Frame, QoS, utlra long MTBF Failure time (3,197,945 houes) are extra bonus
  • Non-Blocking swiching architecture for maximum throughput for all 5 ports at 1G Copper Wire Speed 
  • No configuration necessary - perfect for entertainment such as ROON, Netflex, YouTube. 
  • Standard - Based Design which ensure intercoperability with any standards based network, 
  • Fast boot up time at only 3 seconds. 
  • Fanless design means zero added noise wherever its located, make it ideal for audiophile enviroments. 
  • Metal Case, very durable and rugged. 

Why does the mod changed it to 5V DC input, while the normal verison is 12V?

• The power section on the motherboard is all bypassed and upgraded to better power supply and regulators. 
  • For example, the CPU 1.2V, OCXO 3.3V, motherbaord is all changed to linear power supply instead of DC-DC switching

What is the maxmium throughout speed for this 10G switch?

• Bandwidth is 10Gbps, so all 5 port can support 4K video/ Netflex, retrieving data at the same time
  • All the port is supporting Jumbo Frame Support (Up to 9K packet size) 
  • Every port supports up to 2000 Mbps in dedicated bandwidth. Automatic flow control ensures smooth traffic. There is a queue buffer memory of 12 kbytes per port 

What is the maxmium tempature for full modified Netgear GS105?

• The is the lastest version called V5, it is complaint to Energy Efficient Ethernet (IEEE802.3az), much less heat even all ports is playing 4K Video
  • The temparature is aound 38 degrees on full loading 
  • We believe when it is less temparture, the the Video is less noisy and sounding will become much smoother. 

Can I setup yhe Netgear GS105 on verticle?

• Yes, they are square and allow user to setup in vertical.
  • It could save some space for other devices.  
  • The metal case is rugged and durable for vertical position.

v.thumb.jpg.c13b763ef12fa9453a09559f63121161.jpg

Is there a fan inside the switch?

• Pressive cooling for CPU and no fan is inside. No noise. 

Is there Traffic Prioritization for Video on NetFlex and YouTube?

• This vesion V5 is build in to cope with prioritize mission-critical applications such as video Support IEEE 802.1 p and DSCP-based QoS for delivering data based on priority and type

How long is the boot up time?

• The modified OCXO switch can boot up in 3 seconds. It works plug and play immediately. 

What is the quality of OCXO inside the switch?

• The Giesesemann OCXO Clock - Prince Grade is build inside as stardard option for Netgear GS105 switch 

Why OCXO is become a startard for audiophile switch?

• The quality on Phase Noise and Allan Derivation is much better performed when compared to other TCXO, FETMO clock.
  • The sound will be more smoother without digital feelings, more organic music and details  
  • The all-in one design will give you more space for Cacade x 2 Double or x 4 Quad switch for extreme audiophiles. 
  • The single unit version will outperform any "Non-OCXO switch" in huge mergins. 

thumbnail_image2.thumb.jpg.5192c702e7adf1533674e6b94e045c79.jpg

This OCXO switch is easily implemented and can improve Video and Audio quality on all NetFlix, YouTube in just few minutes. Just plug and play, the OCXO switch will boot up in only 3 seconds time. 

thumbnail_image0.thumb.jpg.cd19dc0778a1e771fc2ca407d0d1e826.jpg

2131617754_AfterDark.LEGOFB.JPG.f58c0c251104c77c0babf1b5ddebc1a9.JPG

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

• AfterDark. changed the title to The development of Cascade Netgear GS105 x Giesemann OCXO Video Switch for Netflix and 4K YouTube

We just add the extra LPS upgrade option for Cascade Netgear GS105 x Giesemann OCXO switch.

• AfterDark. Black Modernize LPS x Giesemann OCXO has two 5V supply for cascade version. 
  • Carbon Fiber 6mm at Front and 1mm at back as standard option
  • Gold Schurter Gold Fuse Upgraded
  • Futurech NCF IEC Upgrade. 
  • Two stock DC cables will included, to plug and play when receiving the GS105 

Purchase Link

a_6d0761b3-0fce-4970-817d-3e66a8d20deb_2

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

32 minutes ago, Johnnydev said:

Why do you need 1000MB for netflix/you tube instead of 100MB?

Is 100MB not more then enough?

Hi Johnnydev,

Thanks for your question. 

The Netflix and YouTube quality will depends on your bandwidth to adjust the quality. So, runing the 100M connection may downgrade the quality depends on compression ratio. We suggest if playing the 4K material, just get the 1G connection to avoid video lagging problems. 

Most customer requests us to make a port at least 1000MB, together with the OCXO optimisation, which can be produce better Video Quality. The 1G speed is future proof for the investment at least for 5 years. 

So why Videophile customer is looking for higher speed?

• The 1G speed is minimum requires for playback the native 4K UHD ISO. They are playing the ISO file which has file size of 60G. The 100M will just make the 4K UHD video playback very lagging every second. 
  • The list of movie in 4K is required average 50M/s, the 1G can achieve max 100M/s, where 100M can only reach 10M/s at top speed. The shortage of 40M/s speed will make 100M connect failed to play the 4K movie. 
  • The 4K material in native format can easily exceed 100Mps in many movies, reaching 195Mps in Deadpool 2016. 

465704187_Screenshot2021-06-21at7_40_09PM.thumb.png.30fcadebab5efef5b837186118245534.png

608568086_Screenshot2021-06-21at7_48_44PM.png.23787b86b1b899ef9d452a07fc27c0a7.png

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 5:48 AM, AfterDark. said:

Giesemann OCXO module was redesigned and much smaller in size to be placed inside the Netgear GS105.

Can you provide a data sheet for the OCXO you’re using ?

5V, and maxim current is ? (It can’t be 2A ?)

Wouldn’t a switch with SFP+ (Mikrotik), be a good case for modification as well ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! 

We just received positive feedback from customer: 😁 

2075449904_Screenshot2021-07-13at10_25_13AM.png.dac439b99eb99dc323afbf33a70bc54e.png

The mod GS105 OCXO version will require 5A 2A. 

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

• 3 weeks later...

Received my switch today including the LPSU.

Thanks to @AfterDark. for quick delivery. I already have an etherregen with Queen squarewave Adark clock + LPSU for all.

I frankly was not prepared for how much better my streaming sounds now, and its not even burned in yet.

The details, soundstage, bass and so on, all is improved. I know its a lot of boxes to get this kind of level of SQ but its worth it.

Very happy!🙂

Thanks

Magnus

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

• 4 months later...

Got the Netgear GS105 OCXO version and here's what i heard within 1st hour:

1. Started with Arlo Parks (not Arvo Part:) - music moved more from speakers to the space between speakers. Smoother. Realized that maybe Arlo Parks with her pop-production is not maybe the best to try to hear the differences.

2. Changed to Michael Kiwanuka 24bit / 44kHz. This is very good Folk Soul, and i let him to - Tell me a Tale - the song got more lyrical, and i realized it sounded more like my HiEnd vinyl system i sold!
I could connect more easily emotionally to the music, which was exactly the goal of this folk-soul.

Still listening to Michael Kiwanka, music just flows.

Oh yeah, i plan to use the switch for music only. I do have another switch before it, which connects my Macbook to the network. I could change this one AfterDark version, but not sure if maybe it would be too much of a good thing!

The switch is fed with Sbooster MK2 with Cardas Golden Reference powercord.

If i want to listen to it analytically, 1st thought is wow, like my ex-vinyl system, more analogue - something which i never had thought till now.  

Macbook Pro 2015 > JCAT XE USB > Matrix X SPDIF3 > AyES > Mutec MC3+ > EC Designs PowerDAC B > Topping Pre90 > Wadia a102 > Cardas SE9 cables > John Blue JB3 speakers. All Clear cables Cardas IC, AyES, Beyond & XL

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Adrain I received the two GS105 OCXO switches the other day. I've been letting them break in (feeding my wifi router). The difference they have made to streaming on my Sonos Play5s (which are not very resolving) is noticeable. I cannot wait to hook them up on my main system later this week. I have a question that I would like some clarification on (before I peel the sticker off).

The AD sticker (serial number/OCXO version, etc) on the side is blocking one half of the GS105's original ventilation. I am mounting mine inside a cabinet that will be enclosed and the two switches will sit side by side, meaning that one of the switches will have its vacant airflow grill blocked by the other switch. Does the sticker serve any purpose other than cosmetic and was the intention to block the airflow for some reason?

Hi! maToti,

Thanks for your message and questions.

Please let the GS105 OCXO to burn in, we are quite sure the improvement will be huge. We use them to connect to the Roon Server and HQplayer, and then chain with multiple switch, we love it so much too. 

For the sticter, it is cosmetic and you can feel free to peel it off from the side of the switch. So better ventilation can lower the heat for the power regulators inside, will always experence better sounding.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark.

• 1 year later...