IGNORED

Recommendations on replacing my Adcom 555 amp.

My Adcom 555 preamp recently died and I had to quickly replace it. So to be better prepared for replacing the amp when needed, I am shopping for an amp ahead of time.

I was told the Acram PA 240 or Audio Control Avalon G4 would be good choices for me to consider. The Macintosh MC 152 would be perfect but a little out of my price range. What other amps woudl you recommend or feedback can you give on the Acrum and Audio Control.

Thanks for your input. 

Around 3,500. I have my eye on a McIntosh MC 152 as a ultimate amp that is a little out of my price range.. however looking further, several people have said that for their taste, the Mac is too warm, and lacks a nice top end sparkle. 

2 separate salesman at my stereo store highly recommended this Audio Control amp even though it is a 4 channel. They said it is not as super clean as NAD and has a little more character similar to a a macintosh but less money.

https://www.techweekmag.com/reviews/hi-fi/audiocontrol-avalon-g4-review/

46 minutes ago, One and a half said:

The Adcom was very good at current delivery to the speaker, with fairly low ohms on the speaker, to find such an amp these days is somewhat difficult, since the adoption of Class D has set the pace to an irreversible doom.

It makes me wonder how good my Adcom 555 is. When it was released all reviewers were saying it was almost sound as good as very high end amps. How much better would a Audio Research be? How different would the Macintosh sound, better or just different? 

I find it interesting that you have Infinity Kappa speakers. I have the Infinity Kappa 6 speakers with my Adcom.

Recently I noticed half volume in one of the tweeters compared to the other tweeter. The poly material on the mid speaker was very hard and a darker yellow as well. Due to the age, I decided to finally upgrade my speakers.

As I have Focal Twins in my recording studio and World Wide Stereo by me carried them I decided to just go for their home stereo speakers. I decided on the Aria series. I would have chosen the 936 to get the lows I wanted but the 926 were half off with the walnut sides as they were being discontinued. The clear black color is more popular and the one with the walnut sides is a identical speaker.

The Focals provide so much more detail in the mids and it's more balanced than the Infinity which are very bass heavy. The Focal highs are not harsh but again are not as relaxed as the ribbon tweeters on the Infinity's. I'm so happy I upgraded them.

20210604_171258.jpg

20210604_122844.jpg

• 1 month later...

I know the detail and super clean sound of Benchmark as I am familiar with their converters. I personally would prefer a little more color and roundness of a Macintosh I believe. This is a personal preference of course. 

The PS Audio M700 would be another consideration. The folks there told me they read the review about the difference when stacking the amps and they were surprised by the comments. They didn't find any difference in sound when they are stacked at their shop.

I heard the Audio Control amps and it made my tweeters on my Focals unpleasant. My Adcom sounds better. 

I also got rid of my sub as my Focal Aria speakers bass opened up very nicely. 

I plan on staying with my Adcom for now. It works and I like the sound it provides. But at my age in my 50's, I would like to take it a step up. I have a friend who has higher end amps and I know the gentle smooth sound I am missing. Its easier on your years and the depth front to back on higher end amps are better. 

• 6 months later...
On 7/13/2021 at 3:17 PM, jcn3 said:

@Revelation -- i'd look at a parasound a21+.  great amp, neutral/slightly warm sound.  definitely recommended.

Getting close to pulling a trigger. There are two amps that are getting close to the finish line.

A. The Parasound A21+. This amp surprised me because one guy on YouTube who owns the Mac MC152 and the cheaper Powersound, like the sound of the Parasound better. The A21+ is a step up from the cheaper Powersound he preferred. I like the look and design of this amp. If this amp is neutral and slightly warm, that is what I like and that really sounds like it would be closer to my Adcom. Hopefully better however. 

B. PS Audio M700 mono blocks. Out of all the Class D amps below the 5K mark, this is the one that impressed me the most on paper, reviews, comments and reviews. Stereophile gave them their A rated recommended components. 

Any more input on these two amps from users would be appreciated.

I decided against PS Audio as though it might sound good, they are clearly overcharging for the two modules inside their box.