IGNORED

Recommendations on replacing my Adcom 555 amp.

1 minute ago, Revelation said:

It makes me wonder how good my Adcom 555 is...

How old is your Adcom 555? I purchased my Adcom 555II amp 28 years ago in 1993, and know that at sometime it too must die.

One of the reasons for choosing the Adcom 555II was because it tested stable down to 1 ohm. My Infinity Reference Standard 7 Kappa's are 4 ohm speakers that dips down to 2 ohms are certain frequencies, making it a problem for many amps. So I am also curious of recommendations offered for you.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

9 hours ago, Revelation said:

I find it interesting that you have Infinity Kappa speakers. I have the Infinity Kappa 6 speakers with my Adcom.

Recently I noticed half volume in one of the tweeters compared to the other tweeter. The poly material on the mid speaker was very hard and a darker yellow as well. Due to the age, I decided to finally upgrade my speakers.

As I have Focal Twins in my recording studio and World Wide Stereo by me carried them I decided to just go for their home stereo speakers. I decided on the Aria series. I would have chosen the 936 to get the lows I wanted but the 926 were half off with the walnut sides as they were being discontinued. The clear black color is more popular and the one with the walnut sides is a identical speaker.

The Focals provide so much more detail in the mids and it's more balanced than the Infinity which are very bass heavy. The Focal highs are not harsh but again are not as relaxed as the ribbon tweeters on the Infinity's. I'm so happy I upgraded them.

20210604_171258.jpg

20210604_122844.jpg

I bought my  Infinity Kappa 7 speakers over 30 years ago. I had to replace the surrounds on the woofers several years ago. My midrange drivers have also yellowed but have not hardened yet. The level of the right and left EMIT tweeters appears to be the same.

I have been hoping these will last the rest of my life, (I'm getting close to 70) as it is hard to find floor standing speakers I can afford with 12 inch woofers. I purchased the last new ones The Good Guys had at a clearance price of 50% off retail, $700 for the pair. The Good Guys dropped the Infinity line of speakers. That left their demo pair that I heard, I've often wondered how cheap that pair went for. Anyway, right place, right time.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa