IGNORED

The development of Project ClayX Mutec MC-3+USB x Farad Super3 Black Modenize Edition

AfterDark. is introducing the new collection called Project ClayX. This project will provide the modification service and sound tuning for audiophile gears. The most demanding Mutec MC-3+USB is the latest development to improve performance with Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock. To improve the sounding of Mutec MC-3+USB, one of the best upgrade is replacing the switching power supply with highest quality Linear Power Supply (LPS). The Meanwell SMPS power supply is required to removed. 

The Project ClayX Black Modernize will include belows:

1. Upgrade the YAZAKI san Ultimate Ruby MICA Capacitor x 3 Triplets to optimise the DC power sections
  2. Upgrade the Duelund Coherent Audio Capacitor JDM Pure Silver Foil for sound tuning 
  3. Duelund Silver Audio Grade Cable (Double run inside Mutec MC-3 + USB)
  4. Custom made AfterDark. AutophileMAT Carbon Fiber Shielding for EMI and Anti-Shock dumping material for Duelund Capacior 
  5. Modification and install GX16 4 pins DC socket with Carbon Fiber Backplate    
  6. KAMET EMI Shielding materal apply on CPU at the middle
  7. AfterDark. Continental Triple Crown CFS Copper Duelund DC Cable 0.8m (2 Wires Farad GX16 2 pins Editon) for sound optimisation 
  8. Farad Super3 LPS SE (Optional Upgrade) 

DIY Kit Set x Elite Upgrade will included the belows: 

1. Duelund Silver Audio Grade Cable x 4 wires 15cm  for double run
  2. Duelund Coherent Audio Capacitor JDM Pure Silver Foil for sound tuning x 1 unit
  3. Custom made Carbon Fiber for modification and install GX16 4 pins DC socket with Carbon Fiber Backplate  x 1 unit
  4. KAMET EMI Shielding material for CPU section  x 1 unit
  5. AfterDark. Continental Triple Crown CFS Copper Duelund DC Cable 0.8m (2 Wires Farad GX16 2 pins Editon) for sound optimisation 
  6. Farad Super3 LPS SE (Optional Upgrade)  

Purchase Link

FACE.thumb.jpg.bf24e3c9c7f1487cc4780dded29a3046.jpg

It is easy modify the output pins located on the main motherboard. It requires some solder work to allow the Mutec to connect directly with 6V Linear Power Supply. It takes some time, but it is worth to upgrade them. It transfroms a really good Mutec MC-3+USB to another levels. 

1433666893_SwitchingPowerSupply.thumb.jpg.fdb441f82d19133bff841c5e07bb0585.jpg

The switch power supply is located on the left section of motherboard.  

The procedure to deassemply the switch power supply: 

1. Remove the top cover
  2. Remove the all the BNC Screw-In ring at the back of Mutec MC-3+USB
  3. Remove the XLR connector releave laver at the back
  4. Remove the screw on the motherboard 
  5. Unsolder the SMPS power supply, there is two pins of power pins, left one is positive and right one is negative. 
  6. Then we can free to apply modification for LPS. 

For advanced solder expert: The SMPS can be remove with professional de-solder station:

1. With proper desolder tools, heating the four feet with some new solder at the pin of the motherboard, one at a time
  2. Gently separating each foot from the main board by applying a gentle lever effect. This method can remove the SMPS pin little by little, and finally remove the whole board. 

After remove the switching power supply, it will look like this: 

thumbnail_IMG_3936.thumb.jpg.7a99628a07e34a1e06351e7a24697383.jpg

The two pins at the bottom is DC for 6V. Left one is Positive pole, right one is negative pole. 

The procedure to enhance the Mutec to use 6V DC Farad Super3 LPS:

1. This involves the remove the AC IEC
  2. Revised the Carbon Fiber Back Plate with GX16-4 DC connector to the back. The carbon fiber plate is tailor made with thickness of 3mm and fit the orginal window really well, just slide the carbon fiber from the buttom then apply some force to the position, it will fit to the position easily. 
  3. Solder the DC Cable (Duelund Silver Cable double runs) to GX16-4 DC connector at the back
  4. Solder the DC Cable to Positive and Negative pole to motherboard 
  5. Check again the positive pole is connect as below, the pin number is mark on the supplied GX16-4 pin connectors. (1 and 3 is positive / 2 and 4 is negative) 

1703879780_Screenshot2021-06-10at11_23_42AM.png.ae6db3c686671928187f1c5aa7aa778a.png

image14.jpg

LPS.thumb.jpg.8d2fa8d4a5c5c7e0b63f669b934d7a1c.jpg

The Black Modernize Edition will required to send back the Mutec MC-3+USB unit to AfterDark for modification.

image12.thumb.jpg.a9cda8abe66f95777b60fc05ee82f192.jpg

image1.thumb.jpg.739c82dffc250b0ec6e99da8c574cede.jpg

Three unit of YAZAKI san Ultimate Ruby MICA Capacitor in parallel (Hand Made by Yazaki san in Japan, Limited Edition for AfterDark.) 

image10.thumb.jpg.17d033c6e99488b4849fd16723cdab18.jpg

Duelund JDM Audio Capacitor - Pure Silver Foil (Hand Made in Demark) 

image3.thumb.jpg.21d87177a9b8bf694c3b2a84ece298a6.jpg

Double run on Duelund Silver Cable for DC connection

image11.thumb.jpg.e74a7e9a9e356763475bb884cb7456ac.jpg

Custom made 3mm Cabon Fiber / Two layers for EMI shielding and provide anti-shock platform for Audio Grade capacitor. 

image8.thumb.jpg.ceecb562dbcf7f712cdb1ce34fe7875a.jpg

image4.thumb.jpg.45624a6f9c1e047a59c1b400f78a2386.jpg

The YouTube and listening impression will perfrom next week. 

1084771345_AfterDark.LEGOFB.JPG.ca2fb44954a7f19d237c3909c889284a.JPG

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

Hi Adrian,

I followed the Farad Super3 Purchase Link in your other recent post. There is no option for “The Black Modernize Edition will required to send back the Mutec MC-3+USB unit to AfterDark for modification.” Please can you post “how it works” and price for Mutec mod by AfterDark?

Will this mod option be independent of purchase of Farad Super 3 6V Special Edition for Mutec MC-3+USB?

Incentive for customers buying both?

😁

Thanks

Adrian,

We are all waiting for an announcement about pricing for the Mutec Mod.   Any news on the horizon?

As Iving suggested, will there be a collective price for sending you their mutec for the mod, plus the Farad, plus the cable?

Regards Cazzesman

I think something which could be an interesting proposition for some is offering a bundle of a brand new Mutec MC3+USB + Super Farad 3 fully modified and covered by warranty. If I didn't already have mine this would have been tempting. It would be good to get such a bundle into the hands of reviewers  ;)

14 hours ago, Mjw21a said:

I think something which could be an interesting proposition for some is offering a bundle of a brand new Mutec MC3+USB + Super Farad 3 fully modified and covered by warranty. If I didn't already have mine this would have been tempting. It would be good to get such a bundle into the hands of reviewers  ;)

Hi! Mjw21a,

Thanks for your comments. We included the brand new Mutec Pre-modified version to fully covered by warranty. We will have new option for DIYers to purchase the Kitset and done the simple modification at home. while another version is more complicated which require to send the unit to us for modification. 

Quite excited, we have a one customer already brings his Mutec to us after reading the details today.

Thanks and have a nice evening.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Hello! 

We just received some feedback from Farad Customers to power the Mutec MC-3+USB in 6V:  

"This change has redefined what I thought digital audio was capable of, seeming to remove a layer of noise I wasn't previously aware was even there allowing more fine detail to shine through. "

" entire tonality of instrumentation has become more real and lifelike with great body to the sound and improved bass response"

491583245_Screenshot2021-06-20at9_46_49AM.thumb.png.818af886ce59f0a34e5087ec1cad260f.png

I can vouch for the fact that Mjw21a is so happy about the SQ results from AfterDark and Farad he is naming his next child Adrian Mattijs :-)

I might add, that like many explorers, I could well follow in his footsteps sooner rather than later.   No more next children though for me folks.   Keep up the grand work you two. 

Regards Cazzesman

2 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

I can vouch for the fact that Mjw21a is so happy about the SQ results from AfterDark and Farad he is naming his next child Adrian Mattijs :-)

I might add, that like many explorers, I could well follow in his footsteps sooner rather than later.   No more next children though for me folks.   Keep up the grand work you two. 

Regards Cazzesman

Only partially true.  We're unable to have another child.  Just makes the one we have all the more precious. 

I'm delighted with the Fared Super3 powering the Mutec MC-3+USB. Enough so that there's another on order for my Afterdark Emperor Double Crown.... Also a Curious cables Evolved USB cable  ;)

If I ever try LPS for my media PC and wireless mesh access points, they'll just be inexpensive Chinese units or otherwise those which I have spare. No more Fared Super3, especially when I'm not convinced an LPS will make much difference in these areas.

• 4 months later...
On 10/31/2021 at 5:18 PM, zoltan said:

Doesn't the EMI sheet on the central processor cause overheating?

Hello! Zoltan,

The CPU of Mutec does not require any heat sink and EMI sheet is designed to work with electronic to conduct heat as well. 

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

• 1 month later...

I have had a Mutec USB 3+ for many years now.    Fabulous bit of kit.     About 6-8 months ago I came across AfterDark via this Website.    I bought a  Project ClayX GIESEMANN OCXO 10MHz Reference Master Clock with the LPS to connect to the Mutec and that lifted the SQ.

I eventually decided to give my Mutec a facelift.

https://www.adark.co/products/mutec-mc-3-smart-clock-usb-black

I went the full-monty after getting a good price from Adrian at AD during the Black Friday sales.  

I Express posted my Mutec for the 'Project ClayX Mutec MC-3+USB x Farad Super3 Black Modenize Edition' makeover.    3 week round trip to Hong Kong/Australia and back was pretty good.   

I was able to run my Mini PC music player via USB into the Kii 3 controller while the Mutec was gone, so music was still available.  

The Mutec and Farad S3 have been back in situ for the past 170 hours now.    Adrian suggests 500 hours for the S3 to burn in.   

What can I say.............................smooth, full, dynamic and such easy listening for long, long periods.    There's a richness and depth to all recordings.    Vocals sound amazingly lifelike.    Basically next to no grain anywhere except on poor recordings.       

On the best recordings the sounds are truly engulfing.

IMHO another worthwhile upgrade to my system.   I am running the Farad S3 with a new Peter Graves - Audio Principe Premium power cable which easy bested the stock cable I initially used.

Can't fault AfterDark's work, products and bedside manner.   Adrian is always super quick to respond to emails.   Prices are very competitive for quality products.

I have zero affiliation to AfterDark, just a happy and satisfied customer.

Regards Cazzesman

• 2 years later...

HI! 

To celebrate the 100 units of Mutec MC3+USB was being modded by AfterDark. We are delighted to provide the Free upgrade services for audiophilestyle member to enjoy the add on option for GX16 2pins DC port upgrade for every purchase of New Mutec MC3+USB unit.

image14_2048x.jpg?v=1623746714

The Free Upgrade service will included the GX16-2pin2 DC socket with Carbon Fiber backplate at 3mm thick, the socket will be connect with Duelund Audio Cable for internal connection with the DC section of Mutec. 

This will be flexible for connecting external AfterDark. Black Modernize LPS

Purchase Link for promotion.

Thanks and enjoy.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. image.thumb.png.f396ddf377ef84f2cc82c23c47c87800.png