IGNORED

Cable Pathways Between Audio Components Can Affect Perceived Sound Quality

28 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Is this seriously new knowledge, or a slow day at the lab? :confused:

I am not sure of either.  

29 minutes ago, Archimago said:

The part about the "phonemic-restoration" in musicians is interesting though.

Yes.  I found the introduction and the discussion more interesting than the experiment, such as it is.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

12 hours ago, botrytis said:

Frank that paper, putting it bluntly, isn't worth the paper it was written on. Many scholars do make their names, early on, but then they just slide on their reputations, rather than actually doing anything worthy. I have seen this many times in my career. 

No squirming - just a fact.

That is not uncommon but nor is a more relevant issue.  Kunchar's training and previous experience is in an entirely different academic area.  He is a Professor of Physics and Astronomy and his main field of endeavor is in " in superconducting nanowires and thin films."  In this audio stuff, those credentials are not particularly relevant.

Kal Rubinson

21 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Well, Just because a person's ORIGNAL expertise is not in audio, does not mean they can't work and get expertise in that area.

Of course.  Training and expertise in one area of science can allow one more easily to "get expertise" in another but that is not assured.  I do not see that Kunchar has successfully applied basic scientific principles to this audio work.

Kal Rubinson

5 hours ago, botrytis said:

Not really. Some great technology comes out of people who have no training in a particular area. We tend to pidgeonhole people rather than allow them to fail. Failing is a learning process. If one doesn't fail, how can one succeed at anything?

I don't know why you keep at this since we are not disagreeing.  I said that "Training and expertise in one area of science can allow one more easily to "get expertise" in another" but that is not assured. (Emphasis added.)

5 hours ago, botrytis said:

I think the Kunchar paper, shows exactly what I was saying, based on name rather then innovation or tech. That paper should have never been published.

Again, I agree.

Kal Rubinson