IGNORED

Somewhere around here I made my prediction that Intel Macs would lose feature parity with M1 Macs over time...

I'm not sure how newsworthy this sort of stuff is—but it garners clicks, so...

With every new chip, every new operating system, there's always something that the old versions won't do. I started programming on IBM System 360 machines and nowadays they are only in museums.

The features that are Apple Silicon-specific are — as far as I know — taking advantage of the neural engine on the M1 (and presumably on future chips in the family). I expect macOS to continue to support the last generation of Intel Macs for some years to come without losing features, but I suspect feature parity will diverge as more new features will depend on hardware that just isn’t there.

Life was so much cheaper when I couldn't hear a difference between these things.

On 6/9/2021 at 5:57 PM, GregWormald said:

I started programming on IBM System 360 machines and nowadays they are only in museums.

GO.SYSIN DD *

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 4 weeks later...

Since Mojave I no longer have the option to use the Nvidia graphics processor in my Intel Macs when using for example Photoshop.

"Right to repair" is only partially useful if newer software and OS versions are no longer supporting old hardware.

I held on to High Sierra for as long as I could but I use my computers as working tools and ultimately it's the software which dictates my OS upgrades. The subscription model has only made things worse I guess.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)