IGNORED

Article: Apple Music's Lossless and Hi-Res Mess

"Apple Music doesn't tel you what the sample rate of its Hi-Res music albums. Thus, you have no idea at what sample rate to set Audio Midi. "

This is not correct or at least it does tell you the "intended" sample rate on my iMac. See the screenshot below.

I still run into the problem though, where Apple Music defaults to the MIDI setting and even though the song is displayed at 24/96, it will output to the DAC at 16/44 (which is what the MIDI was set to).

Furthermore, if you use the Apple Cloud service iTunes Match, any streaming will default to those settings which are 256 kbs AAC. So for instance if you have a 20K library of mp3's that you've carried over through out the years, those will be limiting your streaming of those files on Apple Music to lossy.

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.18.13 AM.png

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ah thanks for the info!

Apple design has really gone to the “click around and find out” method. 

If I understand this correctly, you have to play the music, then click on the info button to get the sample rate, then change audio midi, then close & reopen Apple Music. 

So convenient :~)

Correct. And as far as the iTunes Match issue that prevents lossless streaming, Apple seems to not give a **ck.  Here is the response I got when I sent them the issue.  

Hi Ken,

Thanks for contacting us. I understand that Apple Music Lossless audio doesn’t work. I am happy to help you with this.

About lossless audio in Apple Music, see below mentioned article:

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT212183

If you have more questions about this issue, please reply to this email to let me know. I’m happy to help.

Thanks,
P******
Apple