IGNORED

Linux Support

1 hour ago, ericuco said:

In any case, I thought I would start this thread for any Linux questions that people have could be resolved by experts on AS.

It's a good idea. that was my advice for people having problems with Linux. Keep it simple. An endpoint for example, doesn't need to be anything more than a Raspberry Pi, for example.

No electron left behind.

• 2 years later...
On 9/21/2023 at 5:05 PM, Jud said:

I'm happy using the command line on my NAA, but once in awhile (for example, easy point and click download of the latest networkaudiod - or will "sudo apt-get update" do that for me?) I like to have a GUI around, so yes, I'm running Mint (21) on it.

Jud, I am about to blow your mind.

https://cockpit-project.org/

No electron left behind.

6 hours ago, Jud said:

It looks nice. I do use ssh for common tasks, which is why I asked if the regular Ubuntu command line update process, beginning with "sudo apt-get update," will capture networkaudiod updates. If it does, no need of anything more, really. If it doesn't, does Cockpit (and how would it?)?

A text-based web browser would also work, though those can feel a bit clumsy these days. That's what I started out using back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and the Internet was new.

Well, this is how I use it. I open cockpit in my browser and in another browser window I can copy the link to hqplayerd and paste that link in the terminal window in cockpit to use wget to download what I need from Miska's website and get it installed.

No electron left behind.

28 minutes ago, Jud said:

Where are you opening the original browser window from which you copy and paste? I'm assuming it wouldn't be on a machine without a display set up.

My desktop.

Cockpit is a remote, browser based server administration tool with all kinds of plugins and a terminal.

edit: You could call it a GUI based SSH session with administration tools.

No electron left behind.

14 hours ago, Jud said:

Installed Cockpit on the NAA, played with it a bit. Very nice little program. I'll consider whether I have enough of a use case for it vs. SSHing into the NAA and copying and pasting a URL or updating the OS and apps from there. (Yes, I know this is illogical coming from the guy who's running a full desktop on an NAA.)

Speaking of running a desktop, a question for @Miska and anyone else who may want to chime in (though I think I may know the answer): Is it best to simply wipe out Mint entirely and install Ubuntu Server from a USB stick, or is it easy enough to install Ubuntu Server, then remove the Mint desktop, something like this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/856373/how-do-you-completely-remove-ubuntu-desktop-along-with-all-installed-packages-wi

The only other thing I need to run on the NAA is upmpdcli, and I'm feeling lazy about reinstalling and reconfiguring it. But is that more or less hassle than removing the Mint desktop?

AS long as you have 30 minutes or so, a monitor and a keyboard, installing Ubuntu server on the machine is almost hands free. Do a minimal install, make sure to say yes to install SSH and I don't think there is anything else you need to do other than note its IP address. After that is in place and running, you can SSH into it from a comfortable location and do everything you need to do.

Cockpit can make using some features of server OS much easier, but for an NAA it's likely unnecessary as anything you really need to do can be done via an SSH session and copy and paste from the same desktop you're using to SSH.

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Hi, could use some quick help if anyone's in a position to provide it. I have company coming tomorrow and would love to get this working today.

I installed the minimal Ubuntu server, and have now misconfigured either or both alsa and mpd so that I can't get either NAA or UPnP to work.  Is there a relatively simple fix, or should I try HQPlayerOS (can I install mpd and upmpdcli there?) or go back to one of the Ubuntu GUI variants I know better for the time being?

Thanks in advance for advice and help!

Here are .asoundrc, the relevant section of mpd.conf, the output of aplay -L, and the error message from mpd:

.asoundrc:

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm {
       @func getenv
       vars [ ALSAPCM ]
       default "Audio"
   }
}

Alsa output section of mpd.conf:

audio_output {
        type            "alsa"
        name            "Audio"
        device          "hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0"
        mixer_type      "hardware"
        mixer_device    "hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0"
##      mixer_control   "PCM"           # optional
##      mixer_index     "0"             # optional
}

aplay -L:

null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
hw:CARD=sofhdadsp,DEV=1
    sof-hda-dsp, 
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=sofhdadsp,DEV=2
    sof-hda-dsp, 
hw:CARD=sofhdadsp,DEV=3
    sof-hda-dsp, 
plughw:CARD=sofhdadsp,DEV=1
    sof-hda-dsp, 
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=sofhdadsp,DEV=2
    sof-hda-dsp, 
plughw:CARD=sofhdadsp,DEV=3
    sof-hda-dsp, 
dmix:CARD=sofhdadsp,DEV=1
    sof-hda-dsp, 
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=sofhdadsp,DEV=2
    sof-hda-dsp, 
dmix:CARD=sofhdadsp,DEV=3
    sof-hda-dsp, 
hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio, USB Audio
plughw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
sysdefault:CARD=Audio
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    Front output / input
surround21:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Audio,DEV=0

mpd status error message:

systemd[1]: Starting Music Player Daemon...
zeroconf: No global port, disabling zeroconf
Started Music Player Daemon.
ALSA lib conf.c:5514:(parse_args) Unknown parameter DEV
ALSA lib conf.c:5685:(snd_config_expand) Parse arguments error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib control.c:1528:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
mixer: Failed to read mixer for 'Audio': failed to attach to hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0: No such file or directory

I wish I could help but I don't know anything about MPD. How is setting this up via CLI different than the GUI?

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, Jud said:

Each distro has its own little tweaks, so I know what's worked in those config files in, for example, Xubuntu, and Mint, and probably Lubuntu. They may have some extra audio support that the bare Ubuntu server minimal install lacks; but for whatever reason, I've tried stuff that has worked before with the GUI distros and it hasn't worked with the server version.

Have you tried

sudo apt install -f

It will fix any dependency issues.

No electron left behind.

16 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yep, it's not dependencies, it's something in the configuration.

Do you have Cockpit on this machine still? Is there anything in the logs that may be helpful?

edit 1: You didn't start the firewall on the server? Did you set a different port than 6600? etc.

edit 2: This is why I gave up on MPD a long time ago.

No electron left behind.