IGNORED

Direct connection of server to DAC vs streaming?

I apologize if this is a question that has been much discussed or is, perhaps unanswerable, but I am a novice looking for advice.  I am currently using my home PC as my server and stream over ethernet to an Auralic Vega G1 streaming dac.  I've added a Sonore Optical Module to connect to the A side of the EtherRegen.  I use both Roon (for convenience) and the Auralic app, primarily when streaming from Qobuz because of enhanced sound quality.  I would like to retire my home PC from audio service and get a dedicated server.  I am also considering upgrading my dac.  

I am considering either: 1) adding a server like the Small Green Computer i5 or i9 or Fidelizer Nimitra Signature or Exasound Gamma Server that I can place in another location and stream to a streaming dac (e.g. Bricasti M3; Vega G2.1; or the new Exasound S82 when it comes out) or 2) connect the server directly to the dac either through a dedicated ethernet connection (as used by Melco) or directly through USB.

Is there any guidance on which sort of set up is best for sound quality? 1) streaming from server to dac via ethernet either directly (1a) or over the network (1b)? or 2) direct connection via usb?

I'd consider this a better option.... its going to sound better because Innuos knows how to custom design their server hardware to get best sound. And its a Roon core server solution.

The Zen Mini MKIII will allow you to play with both options on your existing Vega G1 ( USB direct/Roon endpoint) to see what you think before spending money  on an upgrade./

change from the Vega G1... I suspect you will stay put after you hear what improving the source solution does

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2021/04/25/innuos-zen-mini-mk-3-music-server-with-lpsu-power-supply-review/

Regards,

Dave

Audio system