IGNORED

Does the ER work with SFP+

55 minutes ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

It should work as long as the other device you are connecting to is NOT an SFP+ (10Gbe) port.  EtherREGEN SFP port is 1Gbe-only so other end MUST also be 1Gbe.  SFP/SFP+ transceivers are dumb devices (no clock or negotiation logic in them), so they will pass at the rate you put to them.  But an SFP+ switch/router will sense an SFP+ module and will try to talk at 10Gbe.

and I can’t get it to work. I thought that the package was made for the ER. 

AfterDark has tested but UpTone has not tested that package. So support for it should come from them.

after reading the text again the talk about a new ER.

There is no “new” EtherREGEN planned at this time. Please do not believe rumors. :o

can someone help me out?

I am sure that Adrian at AfterDark will be glad to assist. Or perhaps others on the forum.

Also, be sure to shove the modules in VERY firmly. The last 0.5mm of insertion can make the difference.

But really I suspect the issue is with what you are connecting the other end to.

The SFP port on the ER is 1Gbe only which means that it should be used with SFP modules. There has been some discussion that some SFP+ modules MIGHT work but it really depends on the SFP+ module and the device you are using. I guess in this case, if you use two of the fiber to Ethernet converters, then PERHAPS the SFP+ modules will work because you have SFP+ modules on both ends, otherwise the whole thing is a bust.

It is a bit baffling to me why this package is configured as it is. From what I can tell based on the labeling, the fiber to Ethernet converters run at 1000/100 Mbps (or 1Gbe on the high end) so they do not run at 10Gbe which is typical for SFP+ modules.

If you are trying to connect fiber to the ER, then a Sonore opticalModule might be a better solution.

Or you could get a set of SFP modules to replace the SFP+ modules you currently have. The fiber to Ethernet converter and cable should still work.

In any case, this looks like something you should address with AfterDark.

On 6/4/2021 at 9:00 AM, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

can someone help me out?

You got help in another tread. Didn’t work out ? What happened ?

I can, as many others that uses any of John Swenson design , confirm all his designs will work with 10GB SFP+ modules. Especially those named Finisar ones.  

Challenge is when the other end is a 10GB device, like the Mikrotik’s, which I’m working on by testing firmware upgrades given to me. 2 so far. 

13 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I “warned” in general people from jumping into whatever AfterDark is doing. (I’m asking critical questions).  Not because he’s a crook, or there is something wrong with his products. There isn’t. I support some, not all, of his products. I bought a clock of him, that I’m very happy with. I probably purchase another one. But I know what I’m getting. And the risk I’m taking. 

No offense taking. I just bought because I gave up on finder the right component myself and trusted this offer because it was tailored for the ER. or so I thought

1 hour ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

No offense taking. I just bought because I gave up on finder the right component myself and trusted this offer because it was tailored for the ER. or so I thought

In general what people have reported is a better device (switch/FMC) upfront the EtherRegen may or very often give a notch / uplift in SQ. 
It could be the Cisco 2960 G. It ought to be the Mikrotik’s as they’re 10GB. (Probably not, as I think not reported to my knowledge).  This includes any 10 GB devices. 

It should be the opticalModule as it has the best clock available in any FMC out there. And then there is those that purchase a second EtherRegen. (Even a third).  And then even adding clocks to both. 

Then of cause you have the isolation thing in addition when using fiber, though EtherRegen should be quite immune to such in a A>B configuration.

I personally do believe 10GB equipment probably is the way to go as technically it should cover what we audiophiles is after. (And probably a good assurance in any case). The optical network tread covers this. And there is good explanation there why. 

I found the FMC you have (I have the version with a name on 😀) very helpful in tracking down errors etc in my network.
As you just found out. Things that should be straightforward, isn’t always that. For testing purposes in your case, if you have a switch to put between the FMC and your router as a test ? Still I hope advice given in that other tread will help you. 

2 hours ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

It works with RJ45 and has for more than a year.

I am using the standard PSU for the ER.

The RJ45 to SPF converter are using an iFi 5V PSU 2500ma

Ask Adrian? Sometimes, again and again. I think he is a very busy man.

2 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

Ask Adrian? Sometimes, again and again. I think he is a very busy man.

I can’t see how Adrian can be a part of solving this given the advices given in 2 treads already. All he can do in the end is a refund or sell him a Buffalo 😀

In this case I understand why he’s silent. Not busy. I support his decision. 

3 minutes ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

I will try to see if I can lent a switch

What’s upfront ? Can you connect directly to modem ?

Or purchase the $99 Mikrotik with a return policy?

So far we blame or have identified that router of yours to have issues. 
(Not logical). 

To answer the OP's initial question, yes the ER does work with SFP+.

There are some quirks, however. Sometimes if a device on the B side of the ER has been off for an extended period but the ER is left on, network protocols like PING etc can see the device on the B side when it is turned back on but the music doesn't flow. So quick power-off and power-on of the ER works a treat in this instance.

So I assume you have powered the ER off and back on again AFTER you pushed the fibre transceiver into its slot with a heavy and firm push?

If so and it still has no connection, you need to contact AfterDark for their support in getting their gear to forge a connection with your ER.

Regards

GG