IGNORED

AfterDark. Project ClayX Constellation SFP+ Module for Audiophile - Can not get it to work

Hi I bought the AfterDark. Project ClayX Constellation SFP+ Module for Audiophile packages.

I have connected everything as described. The connectors clicked and the SFP converter are powered by a ifi 5V psu.

My router are the EdgeRouter™X.

There are no connection to the internet and I can't see my NUC on the network.

I have tried to boot everything but without any luck.

I can’t say it will work but.. I had  a connection issue with my network switch connected to edge router. Eventually I worked out that if I unplugged the network cable to my network switch from the edge router leaving cables connected to the network switch only.  Power down network switch for a couple mins (and fiber links) and then restart them for 5 mins with NO link to the edge router. Then power down edge router connect the Ethernet back to network switch (or fiber  link) and power back on edge router and wait.

if it’s not just me (it could be) edge router seems to like to be booted up in a certain way with network switches, all other components like access point or tv seems to connect to edge router straight away but the network switch it seems more particular. 

if this doesn’t work, then I don’t know what to suggest from my experience at least, it’s worth a try. 

7 hours ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

There are no connection to the internet and I can't see my NUC on the network.

Can you describe your network. Especially the fiber optical part. Your router hasn’t any optical interface, so that information isn’t helpful. 

17 hours ago, LondonDan said:

I can’t say it will work but..

I tried what you said. Or what I think you said (: So I try to write the steps in bullet points.

1. Unplug the lan cable from router to fiber converter.
  2. Power down the switch and fiber converter.
  3. After 5 minutes power up fiber converter and switch
  4. Power down edge router
  5. Connect router and fiber converter
  6. Power up router

Is this how you did it?

The “A” Ports are not going to light up without anything connected. What is connected to the “B” Port? Is it your NUC?

You need to describe exactly how you have everything connected. I’m guessing Router to Converter- Converter to ER- ER to NUC.

You could have a bad Converter or a bad SFP. Does the ER function bypassing the SFP converter? You have to start isolating things otherwise you are never going to figure out what is wrong.

Edit: I see how you have it connected based on above post, I missed that.

7 hours ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

After a good night's sleep I tried it again, two times. Still no connection.

But I thank you for taking the time to help me.

Are you able as a test to attach the FMC somewhere else than the Edgerouter ?

11 hours ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

RJ45 plug on wall > EdageRouter X > SPF converter > Uptone ER > NUC > DAC

Tomorrow I will upgrade the firmware for my router, thanks for the link

But what’s upfront that RJ45 in the wall ? There must be something. 

Did you try connect both EtherRegen and also the FMC to that wall RJ45 ? (Bypassing your router). 

How can you be sure there isn’t any router upfront that wall plug ?

Does your router show you’re having a public IP ?

image.jpeg.513703d9b69908188dd5be3b5bb1e768.jpeg

The picture above shows a working link. Compared to the not working device, I predict the error is related on the fiber side. 

Read here as well. 
https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1135/

And here:

https://www.sopto.com.cn/sp_news/show-3509.html

1000M:Lit when the electrical link speed is 1000Mbps.

100MLit when the electrical link speed is 100MbpsOff when the electrical link speed is 10Mbps.

FX Link/ACTLit when the fiber port connection with remote device is goodBlinks when data is transmitting.

TX Link/ACTLit when the RJ45 connection with remote device is good;Blinks when data is transmitting.

PWRLit when DC5V power is on.

FDXLit when full-duplex mode is active on SFP.

When the fiber media converter is operating normally, PWR power indicator must be lit, FX-LINK / ACT fiber link indicator, TX-LINK / ACT network link pilot lights steady or flashing, if the LINK / ACT light does not , you should to check whether the corresponding link is connected normally.

image.thumb.png.f9ac1cfa426770b6984cacc76e521811.png
The EtherRegen user guide is here:

EtherREGEN_User_Guide.pdf?90

As there isn’t any lights for fiber on the EtherRegen, you will have to use the other ports as a guide to tell you what’s going on. 

EtherREGEN LEDs:
The green LED at left of the EtherREGEN’s DC input jack indicates that the switch is receiving power. There are two small LED indicators above each of the unit’s RJ45 Ethernet ports. The meaning of the colors and activity with cable connections are different for the four Gigabit-capable ‘A’-side ports than for the lone 100Mbps ‘B’-side port, as follows:

‘A’ Side
Flashing yellow = Gigabit link with network activity
Flashing green = 100Mbps link with network activity
Solid LED (yellow or green) = Link established but no network activity
‘B’ Side (100Mbps only)
Solid or Flashing green = Network activity
Solid yellow = Network link established (should stay on all the time when a ‘B’-side connection is made)

——————

My best guess is exchanging the FMC, the cable, one or both of the modules. I think the error may be related to one of those.

In theory you could have a non working SFP cage on the EtherRegen, but's highly unlikely. 

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0660/6121/files/EtherREGEN_User_Guide.pdf?90
To late to edit. Correct link above. 

One possible way to solve this is to purchase this item

https://www.komplett.dk/product/898813/hardware/netvaerk/routere/ubiquiti-edgerouter-x-sfp#

Maybe add the DKR 199 cable you find here

This one:

https://www.komplett.dk/product/1147774/hardware/netvaerk/netvaerk/ubiquiti-udc-1-sfp-kabel

Just for testing purposes. 

I’m quite sure that website has a very good return policy. (The Norwegian version has). 
This is a way to assure you that the no-name FMC you got from @AfterDark. is broken, and he will give you a full refund, without you having to return the FMC. 
Hopefully the modules and cable is good. 

As the cable is less than $20 for him, you may ask him to send you a cable in any case. 

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

How can you be sure there isn’t any router upfront that wall plug ?

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but are you using the EdgeRouter as a Switch?

Apparently the EdgeRouter doesn't play nice as a Switch. If there's another Router upstream remove the EdgeRouter and try wall jack > Media Converter > EtherRegen > NUC ?

16 hours ago, R1200CL said:

You don’t know yet of the FMC, or any other item sold to you is broken.

You are absolutely right. But buying a new router and fiber cables just don't make sense when I have paid so much for so little already.

By the way, it looks like the converter are not connected / recognized by my router.

I have tried to configure it using the config dialog. Have tried 100/full, 100/half and auto

I wounder why 10/100mb is the only option

EdgeOS - ubnt 2021-06-08 18-09-27.png

EdgeOS - ubnt 2021-06-08 18-14-36.png

5 hours ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

By the way, it looks like the converter are not connected / recognized by my router.

I have tried to configure it using the config dialog. Have tried 100/full, 100/half and auto

I expect your router is 1GB ? Please confirm. (My understanding is that it is). This is important as the FMC may not support lower speed. 
However I’m leaning towards a bad fiber cable, if your router is configured correctly. I expect you to read the router’s manual properly. You have of cause tested other RJ45 cables ?

Is DHCP enabled ?

I suggested purchasing items at https://www.komplett.dk/ or similar with good return policy. I think if you haven’t done your homework, the only thing you can expect from Adrian now is a new cable.

Du kan sende meg en PM, om du tror jeg kan bidra mere. Jeg hjelper deg gjerne. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/search/?q=Edgerouter&updated_after=any&sortby=newest