IGNORED

How could I improve my headphones setup, what to replace?

Zarathustra

Question

Hello everyone, nice to meet you all,

I am thinking about improving my setup. I don't need to but have budget and love listening music everyday, a lot.

This is my setup where I am listening music from PC while working.

• Audio Interface — Focusrite Scarlett 2i2  (year 2015)
  • Headphones — Sennheiser HD 600 with HD 650 cable.
  • Source — Youtube Music Membership.
  • Speakers: Adam Audio A7 (2009)

My primary question is:

Can I improve audio quality on the headphones if I will replace Audio Interface with something better?

• Can other audio interface serve better to these headphones give that source is the same (I like streaming from YTmusic)?
  • If you perhaps recommend headphone amplifier, how this gonna workout with Adam Audio speakers?

Thanks in advance ; )

10 answers to this question

Welcome, but way too generalized of a question. Your outside budget? Very important as audio gear ranges from $100- $100,000. Personally, if it was me, I would replace everything (including the YT sub), so you'll need to be more specific as to which component(s) you want to change, and perhaps include a few choices you are thinking of to narrow the question down. Best, Charles

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

I don't know how good or bad the DAC is on the 2i2. Clearly the headphone section is grossly underpowered for your headphones. For example the Schiit Magni 3+ can put 410mW into a 300Ω load. The Scarlett can only output 10mW into the same load. You absolutely need a headphone amp, not sure about a DAC. 

I'm a big Schiit Audio fan and would recommend either the Magni 3+ or Magnius for your application. The Magni can power headphones from the front panel headphone jack and speakers via RCA outputs on the rear panel. Plugging headphones in mutes the speaker outputs. 

The Magnius has a bit more than double the power of the Magni and somewhat higher sound quality, for double the price. The Magnius has both XLR and RCA outputs. The headphone jack does not mute the rear outputs.  

Schiit has a range of DAC's if that is of interest. Like I said, I don't know the quality of the Scarlett DAC but I know the Schiit DAC's and they are awesome for the price. I am currently using a Modi 3 in my headphone system and will be ordering a Modius later today.

Schiit also has the Asgard headphone amp, which has a power rating in between the other two (600mW into 300 ohms) with available DAC module for $299. 

https://www.schiit.com/products

iFi Audio's Zen is another possibility. I own several pieces from both companies but nothing from the new Zen line. I trust the value of Schiit a bit more than iFi, but both make some great products. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Good suggestion with Schitt. You might also look at Matrix Audio if your budget reaches a $1000- the Mini-i Pro 3 is pretty incredible, and the 4.4mm headphone output is very good and powerful enough. If your budget is much bigger, then the newly announced Naim Atom HE (headphone edition) at $3300 would be my go to 'lifetime' unit (it will be my next hifi purchase at some point, replacing my current Naim DAC V1). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

56 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I don't know how good or bad the DAC is on the 2i2. Clearly the headphone section is grossly underpowered for your headphones. For example the Schiit Magni 3+ can put 410mW into a 300Ω load. The Scarlett can only output 10mW into the same load. You absolutely need a headphone amp, not sure about a DAC. 

I'm a big Schiit Audio fan and would recommend either the Magni 3+ or Magnius for your application. The Magni can power headphones from the front panel headphone jack and speakers via RCA outputs on the rear panel. Plugging headphones in mutes the speaker outputs. 

The Magnius has a bit more than double the power of the Magni and somewhat higher sound quality, for double the price. The Magnius has both XLR and RCA outputs. The headphone jack does not mute the rear outputs.  

Schiit has a range of DAC's if that is of interest. Like I said, I don't know the quality of the Scarlett DAC but I know the Schiit DAC's and they are awesome for the price. I am currently using a Modi 3 in my headphone system and will be ordering a Modius later today.

Schiit also has the Asgard headphone amp, which has a power rating in between the other two (600mW into 300 ohms) with available DAC module for $299. 

https://www.schiit.com/products

iFi Audio's Zen is another possibility. I own several pieces from both companies but nothing from the new Zen line. I trust the value of Schiit a bit more than iFi, but both make some great products. 

Thank you very much 😀

That is the thing that I do not know this technical details and values like W/Ohm so this is super helpful.

Price for Schiit Magnius  and Magni 3+ are both acceptable so starting to hunt for one of them.

The last thing to decipher then...  I still will be needing Focusrite to connect USB and serve as audio-interface for PC and "on top of that" the Focusrite output goes to Schnitt Magnius (for example) ?

36 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Good suggestion with Schitt. You might also look at Matrix Audio if your budget reaches a $1000- the Mini-i Pro 3 is pretty incredible, and the 4.4mm headphone output is very good and powerful enough. If your budget is much bigger, then the newly announced Naim Atom HE (headphone edition) at $3300 would be my go to 'lifetime' unit (it will be my next hifi purchase at some point, replacing my current Naim DAC V1). 

Thanks, indeed I should have mention budget.   I would say max is 500 EUR.

I will save this advice for the future, though :)

25 minutes ago, Zarathustra said:

I still will be needing Focusrite to connect USB and serve as audio-interface for PC and "on top of that" the Focusrite output goes to Schnitt Magnius (for example) ?

Yes, the 2i2 will convert the digital USB signal to analog. Connect the analog outputs on the rear of the 2i2 to the RCA inputs of the new headphone amp.

With the Magni, connect the Magni RCA output jacks to the RCA inputs on your speakers. If you are using a Magnius, you could connect from the Magnius single-ended (RCA) outputs or from the balanced (XLR) outputs of the headphone amp to your speakers. Set the 2i2 to fixed level if that is available. If not, set it partway and control the level with the headphone amp.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Hello everyone, you once gave me solid advice and I wanted to buy either Schiit Magnius or Magni 3+, but these products are "out of stock" (observing since June) for European market and not available as used in Germany.

Could you please recommend some alternative with 250 EUR budget, something that is easier to get.

Reminder of what I have:

• Audio Interface — Focusrite Scarlett 2i2  (year 2015)
  • Headphones — Sennheiser HD 600 with HD 650 cable.

Many thanks in advance

I've not heard one, but the iFi Audio Zen Can is well regarded.