Focal Sopra 2 suggestions

Hi Crew,

I have my new Focal Sopra 2 coming this week. (holy cow, why is the shipping weight so much. 309lb!)

(The wife calls them Daleks - and is already unhappy. She has no idea how much they cost. I'll keep it that way.)

I want to make sure I'm setting it up as best i can. (Note, i'm in a small NYC apt and this is a setup for music / movie and gaming. it totally isn't an ideal room. )

I should be able to get them about 3 feet off the wall (measured from the front of the speaker.) ~5 feet off the left wall

I got gaia feet. From what i read replacing the feet is a must.

They are flanking a 77" TV OLED that is flush to the wall.

I have 4 single run 20amp lines run behind the media/HT/gaming area. 

There is a rug in front. 

Personally i never find much change in burning in, that said there is likely an impact for speakers (woofer/tweeters move) - i'm not clear how much burn in is done by Focal themselves. 

How long before the sound settles (not how my brain sees it, but the moving parts break in.) Is there a wife friendly to to do this? ie, some sound i can play without getting yelled out. I have NO idea how i'm breaking these in other than using them normally.

Should I put something behind the speakers?  Those diffuser wood things look cool, but 3 feet is as far as i'm getting into the room and adding pokey wood strip will close the space between the back and the speakers. (My gut also feels like it should be an absorber vs diffuser.) .. but looks matter a great deal as it is 1 of the 2 main rooms in this apt. (it also takes away how nice a TV flush to the wall looks.)

I do have GIK panels for first reflection point on the side walls.

The Sofa is about 10' away.

So.. pointers? Pit falls?

I'm replacing Elac Vela FS407 speakers. Which i really liked. the Jet tweeter was a amazing. Down firing speakers always make placement easier too. It was shocking for how small they where and how great they sounded. I expect the Sopra will share some of the air and quickness of the Vela. Of course i'm looking forward to great things from the Sopra. I hope so from a jump from 5k to 15k.

I'm super looking forward to playing with them. I also have a Rockna WaveDream coming in a few weeks - hopefully the speakers is broken by then.

I'm not sure which amp i'm going to use full time.

I have the NAD Master M33. It is amazing for games and movie. I can hear everything. FINALLY i can hear voices clearly. But that and the Sopra might make it to bright? maybe?

I also have a PrimaLuna EVO 400 (with NOS and KT150s) - but then i get yelled at by the wife. She hate the "dumb tubes" - it is mainly that she has to turn them on and off.

I can also mono-block them with either Schiit Vidar or Schiit Aegir amps. (my dark secret in audio is i really like the vidars :) ) 

I have 2 SVS-SB-3000 subs, but i'll likely not use them for music.

I also have a denon x8500h that is only used as a switcher/pre (shame it doesn't have XLR out)

I mainly use Qobuz for music. Either via Bluesound node 2i or from a PC (with Pink Faun I2s or Pink Faun usb. With the XOCO clocks (Not sound change to me when going to basic clock to fancy clock.) I have a Schiit Yggy and the Rockna is coming soon. (I also have a pi2aes that is sitting here, but i never used.)

I'll might have to visit the speaker cable.. maybe. I've never heard any change from speaker cable (when starting from a good base.) For example, bluejean cable  to AQ rocket 88s. (I'm trying to say away from AQ cables too. Their interconnects seems to pick noise. I used to use AQ Elements series.. but they added humming and raised the sound floor. (When using tubes. I love me some tubes.)

WW worked much better for me - but speaker cables are speaker cables - and they cost crazy. I might live with the rocket 88s.  (or not.) I sadly can't get cables to test.

Thanks for the info Greg.

Any users of the Sopra 2 (or 3) have any input? These are pretty popular speakers. (some how at this price point...)

Daleks to me are Wilson speakers, not Focals. They are too curvy.

It will be interesting to hear your impressions....

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

I better like it.. or i'm going to be grumpy for many years.  (But that hasn't stopped me from being grumpy about other stuff i bought. Mostly super costly cables.)

It did sound amazing at a show room (pre covid.) I normally find most upgrades i make have little to zero impact. I *hope* this is a little more than little.

The biggest impact to quality should be speakers and source. I'm replacing both. (Sopra 2 and Rockna wavedream)

They should look cool at least. I'm still confused of the over 300lb shipping weight tho...

10 minutes ago, Zurv said:

I better like it.. or i'm going to be grumpy for many years.  (But that hasn't stopped me from being grumpy about other stuff i bought. Mostly super costly cables.)

It did sound amazing at a show room (pre covid.) I normally find most upgrades i make have little to zero impact. I *hope* this is a little more than little.

The biggest impact to quality should be speakers and source. I'm replacing both. (Sopra 2 and Rockna wavedream)

They should look cool at least. I'm still confused of the over 300lb shipping weight tho...

Fingers crossed. Focal does ship in wood crates, I think. Also the speakers are 121 lbs each, so that is 242 lbs per pair....

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

10 hours ago, Zurv said:

These are pretty popular speakers. (some how at this price point...)

You need to remember that hi-fi and music nuts are just that—nuts.x-D Like any other nut they are prepared to spend on their hobbies and obsessions. Just look at how many guitars many guitar players have, or what car nuts spend on "transport".

My latest active speakers (still in the manufacturing process) have a retail of almost $A90K, and all my friends know I'm nuts.:)

10 hours ago, Zurv said:

I'm still confused of the over 300lb shipping weight tho...

Wooden crates are the only way to ship large, heavy, delicate objects and be sure they'll arrive in one piece. Cardboard won't work for large speakers. I know mine will arrive in wooden crates and weigh in over 400 lbs total. It costs way more to replace damaged items than it costs to build and ship in crates.

Have fun unpacking and setting up. I sure plan to.

@GregWormald I guess that makes me the frugal one :) 

I got the Gaia feet today and made some room for my "old" (1 year old) speakers.

I tried to buy off the wife with a new OLED in the bedroom.. but that just resulted in more grumpy sounds from her.

Thoughts on what breaking in sound i should play? I under and the focals likes a slow break in (vs blast loud - which isn't an option anyway.)

ok.. these suckers are much bigger than i remembered seeing them in a show room. 

Much wife anger.

I'm going to play around with the wireless for the second sub (which used to also be up front)

The TV is going to have to move to the right (and the AV stand) to get the left speaker from the wall. ugh.. not a fun weekend!

That said, with the less than ideal placement (holy cow.. so close to the left wall! and they should be more forward) 

they sound pretty darn good. imaging is great and much better (and well blended base.)

But 10K better? no - but that was to be expected.

Klipsch reference (ha!) -> PSB Imagine T2 == huge jump

PSB -> Elac Vela FS 407 == really nice improvement 

Elac -> Focal Sopra 2 == better... 

Of course with zero burn in. I'm also using a NAD Master M28 for now. Once i move the TV/AV stuff right - i can put the PL on the floor.

(i wish there Focal logo wasn't on the bottom of them.. )

image.thumb.png.71b6262a38e51dd7f6c225c423f8a5e7.png

image.thumb.png.21c5ec45c221cde9ac0561e253a6d3dc.png

If your wife doesn't like them, I will take them off your hands free of charge 🤪

Sorry couldn't resist. Show her some pics of big Klipsch speakers and say do you like these instead?

Looks nice.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Oh, of note to people using these fine speakers to connect them to a poppy AVR :)

Audyssey reports that the speakers are out of polarity. ie, that the black and red connections are reversed.

most internet advice for this problem - generally speaking, is check the connections, if all is good, ignore Audyssey.

Focal does not suggest doing that.

They say to switch the black and red so Audyssey seeing them how they want to see them. This way Audyssey calibrates correct.

Once the beepy beepy process is over, switch the wiring back to the correct way.

https://www.focal.com/en/focal-teach/how-to-fix-out-of-phase-issue

Some automatic calibration software can mistakenly consider the main loudspeakers as out of phase.

This issue is well known by loudspeaker and home cinema amplifier manufacturers. It mainly comes from the fact that the home cinema amplifier doesn’t know how the loudspeaker crossover has been designed and where the loudspeakers are placed in the listening room.  All of our loudspeakers are designed in order to get the best performances for hi-fi as well as home cinema use.

To obtain this optimal result, we have carefully optimised the medium and treble registers phase of all our loudspeakers because these are the frequencies in which the most important sound information are located.

For a correct measure during the calibration, you only need to inverse temporarily the loudspeakers polarity (left and right) during the measurement.

http://www.focal.com/img/cms/technical-folders/bornier_illustration3_1.pngFollow the procedure :

• Inverse the 2 frontal loudspeakers phase (right and left) by inversing the polarity of their respective cables:
    1. Connect the conductor cable + to the connector - of the terminal block
    2. Connect the conductor cable - to the connector + of the terminal block

• Proceed to the automatic calibration measure

• Once it is done, do not forget to reconnect the loudspeakers cables in the initial way: 
    1. Connect the conductor cable + to the connector + of the terminal block
    2. Connect the conductor cable - to the connector - of the terminal block

By proceeding in this manner, the automatic calibration will be more accurate.

If I were you, I would try to move them considerably out of the corner and away from the back wall. Even if only temporarily, in order to hear and compare. Maybe even at the expense of some reorganisation of the furniture. I understand the wife might be furious, but in my experience with very large speakers moved a metre and a half away from the wall -- upon hearing the sound, wife simply agreed 🙃

8 hours ago, Zurv said:

she was enjoying the trend of stuff getting smaller

Offer to buy a small TV to save space.:) (or a smaller loungex-D)

8 hours ago, Zurv said:

Oh, of note to people using these fine speakers to connect them to a poppy AVR :)

Audyssey reports that the speakers are out of polarity. ie, that the black and red connections are reversed.

<snip>

Very few people can hear absolute phase. Try it both ways and see if you prefer one or the other.

• 4 months later...