IGNORED

InnuOS 2.0

12 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Hi Blackmorec,

Thanks for the overview and first impressions. Would be great if you could provide some information around your library size and the perceived „speed“ of the software. I also remember someone mentioning that their may also be some changes as to how the files are cached prior to playback with Innuos 2.0. Are you aware of any specifics?

Hi there,

My comments about speed were in comparison to how long it takes to load all the meta data of my Qobuz library (favorites) or to load a selected album into RAM prior to play. In both cases a delay of around 10 seconds was the norm. I put it down to network speed, but with 2.0 there’s almost no perceptible delay. With Innuos 1.0, files selected for playback (tracks and albums) were cached and played back from RAM. I am really not sure if 2.0 does this any differently. I know that 2.0 has a different kernel and that it does not poll the server but rather idles until sent something. This ‘push’ vs. ‘pull’ cuts down markedly on network traffic

4 hours ago, soares said:

Thank so much for sharing! Have you tested Roon + Squeezelite in experimental mode? Interest to know if the SQ uplift is also felt.

Warmest regards,

Jorge

Hi Jorge,

You’re very welcome.

No afraid I never tested Roon + Squeezelite on InnuOS 1.x. My system was delivered by the dealer with Roon active, but after I tried and compared it to InnuOS I switched off Roon and haven’t been back, given that I’ve read nothing on the internet to encourage me. 

Let me share a typical listening session.   I walk into the room, sit down, hit the Power button on the remote and the amp switches out of standby and Swiss Radio Classics starts to play. I turn up the volume and listen to what’s playing for an hour or so, then I switch to iPeng, My apps, Qobuz, Favorites, Albums, then I’m lost to the World for another 3 or 4 hours plus a ️break. 

The price I paid for not using Roon was that my Music Collection wasn't well managed and didn’t expand a great deal. The upside was superb sound quality and absolutely uninterrupted listening sessions.

With InnuOS 2.0 I do most of my music management  sitting at the kitchen table or lying in 🛏.  I can easily go back and review my day’s plays, search other interesting albums, read bios, ID other similar music and update libraries and lists to my heart’s content. For me I find these sessions fun and my music collection is growing nicely.  And the SQ I enjoy is as described above   😀

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2021 at 4:55 PM, ehoz said:

@Blackmorec i think your assessment of the improvements in sound between 1.4.9 vs 2 is a lot of hyperbole, and even Nuno would blush.

are you able to outline what improvements were done between 1.4.9 vs 2 that had such a huge difference that left you gushing :)

Hi ehoz,

I can understand your reaction, because as I mentioned, I was gushing. So after I read what you said I went back and listened to my system while reading what I wrote and honestly I thought is was a pretty accurate description of what I was hearing.  My system is sounding amazing, at least based on my experience, which includes many hi-fi shows, dealer demos/open days and listening to fellow audiophile’s systems.  But there is one very important factor to bear in mind. My system is based on a very highly optimized network stream, designed to reduce noise and jitter to the highest degree possible.  It is based on single vendor power supplies, with identical DC4 regulators throughout to minimize any inter-PS noise interactions and harmonics. The entire system, including network uses single vendor cabling for the same reason,  with all cable screens isolated from components and star wired to a low impedance ground.  All network components and power supplies are mounted on either Atacama bases or Finite Elemente Pagoda Master Reference racks and Gaia footers to minimize external and ground internal vibration. For incoming cable, modem and router noise isolation I use a dedicated 5GHz wi-fi band feeding a fully optimized single-band wi-fi to ethernet bridge, with the hi-fi as the exclusive client. Both system and network are powered by dedicated, optimized mains supplies.  Finally the network is organised so that the data stream is constantly refined and improved as it moves between components.  Jitter is dealt with via a series of 3 Ultra OCXO clocks. 

Bearing the above in mind, what arrives at the Statement input is a data stream that has been isolated and resynthesized several times to be as free of noise and jitter as possible. The system was already sounding amazing with InnuOS 1.4.8 but when I then switched from a UI based on ‘pull’ technology, which polls multiple times per second, all involving considerable CPU and NI activity and moved to ‘push’ which is only active when the UI actually has something to send, you also significantly reduce CPU interruptions and internal noise generated by the server itself. To quote Nuno; 

“These have lead to further improvements from the kernel level (Innuos compiles their own Linux kernel for innuOS) all the way to the UI. One such example is the use of a UI technology that works essentially via “Push”. This means that the UI doesn’t need to constantly poll over the network, sometimes at rates of several requests per second, what is happening on the server in order to update itself. This reduces network traffic on the server and keeps the network interfaces quieter, reducing power noise coming into the system that way.

Most of these changes by themselves do not make a huge difference, it’s the sum of them that result in a (sometimes dramatic) audible difference.” 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, ehoz said:

@Blackmorec can you share your experience with using fuses with the Innuos 2.0 Statement. Are you using the factory use or have you upgraded / tried any other fuses that you have enjoyed ?

Hey ehoz,

Standard fuses I’m afraid.  If a fuse manufacturer could show me the unique technology that makes their fuses worth the money, I’m all in, but right now I really wonder how many manufacturers actually make their own fuses vs. just treating some cheap buy-ins.  A few years ago I gave a couple of fuses a try with some tube kit I owned and while one worked to improve SQ, another robbed the system of PR&T, so there’s no doubt they do have an effect, just not always the one you’re hoping for.  What I did learn from using Naim gear was to listen very carefully when installing anything other than the manufacturer’s standard fuses. It happened that one weekend I blew a couple of fuses in an active system, and not having replacements I just bought a few from the local hardware. They robbed the system of a lot of its Naimness.  I didn’t  immediately hear a huge difference, but just stopped enjoying the music, so afraid I’m not really the person to ask about fuses. 

4 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I’ve yet to ever encounter that.  Quite the opposite where I have come to believe that it should be a goal to eliminate stock fuses as soon as one can.  The improvement of course varies from component to component.  As far as Innuos - my Zenith Mk2 and later a Mk3 benefitted from a Blue fuse.  It was a subtle improvement but worth the dollars IMHO.  My current Antipodes K30 benefitted quite a bit more from Blue fuses.  I have Orange fuses in everything else that takes fuses.  These brought a more organic sound to each component.  It sounds like it does a fat better job of vanishing than the Blue.  Most astonishing to me was that even the Farad supply powering my EtherRegen benefited from an Orange fuse.  

In this hobby, it truly is a case that “everything matters”.  We find that even replacing a power supply on a switch many meters away from our gear can bring benefits.  With the fuse playing the role it plays, how then can it not matter?   

I certainly wouldn’t argue with you. I get exactly what you’re saying. Mundorf Silver/Gold DC cables that connect a switch to its PS make a large difference, but in those $300 cables i know exactly what I’m getting for my money. Do you know what’s in an orange fuse that makes it worth $150? 

38 minutes ago, matthias said:

Maybe @Blackmorec knows the answer?

Thanks

Matt

This question is best answered by Innuos Support. I am aware that currently only Qobuz is fully implemented. TIDAL is a work in progress and I know Innuos is working on several other streaming services, but they’ll probably want to get the Innuos 2.x.x launch done first before rolling out other ‘native’ streaming service connections.  Hence, best answered by Innuos. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Enjoying 2.0 and ditching Roon/Experimental for a while as i give it a test drive. Haven't enabled Qubuz or Tidal as enjoying being forced to focus on my local collection.

Does anyone know how to tell the phone version of MyInnuos.com to show compilation albums as one thumbnail album cover, versus a thumbnail album cover for each track in the compilation?

Cheers,

Alan

Hey Alan,

if you’re using Innuos 2.x.x click [music], [artists], [Q] and type [various artists] then you should see all your compilation albums with the correct album covers.

one thing you should do with Tidal and/or Qobuz once they’re enabled is each time you select a locally stored album, check Qobuz or Tidal to see if there’s a hi-res version and if so, add it to favorites. I usually go one step further and for my favorite artists i usually add all the hi-res files to my library. Its so quick and easy 

37 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks Steve,

But I meant more that I go from Home > New Music > All Music and when scrolling down if a compilation album has 20 tracks I see 20 album cover icons, 1 for each track.

Am wondering if this is a bug or a setting I'm missing because when I look at the compilation they're listed as one album, but Innuos2.0 shows the tracks and not the album.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan, 

I just checked per the above, albeit on an iPad Pro and when i get to a various artists album in New Music, the system displays the correct album cover. When I then click the album, it displays the correct album cover, with all the track titles and artists listed below, but no album covers, so I cannot reproduce your screen image on an iPad.