IGNORED

The DXE-ISO-PLUS filter thread for various network, cable experiments

On 9/27/2021 at 10:57 AM, Rsbrsvp said:

I doubled the DXE's between my router and etherregen to four DXE's.

I like it.  Sound is fuller, rounder, more analogue, obviously a bit less crisp- but more natural.  It may work.  Not sure yet.

Do you use any audiophile ethernet wire between DXE's on that position, or only supplied 6 inch ethernet pigtails?

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

I'm sorry to be a naysayer here, but my experience inserting DXEs after EtherRegen and a Cisco 2960 switch, and before a long run of CAT5e through the walls past all kinds of devices, and then the other piece installed before a second Cisco switch gave me reduced dynamics compared to no filters. Suggestions?

I will now try these on a different, long CAT5e run to an Allo USBridge for my Audeze headphones before I rule them out.

5 hours ago, PYP said:

An experiment with the copper ethernet cable after the eR (and directly to the DAC) suggested that in my system this last leg is critical (significantly upgrading the ethernet cable made a large positive difference in SQ).    If that can be generalized (perhaps not), then one needs to be careful about what follows the eR (meaning, don't muck it up).  Just one system and one data point.  

I found that any STP Ethernet cables didn't work *anywhere* in the chain. The sound was very rough. What does work is to wire power supplies so that at the load and source connector's shells, a measurement of 0.000V between the + of the PSU is important. IF an STP is introduced, that near perfect zero starts to climb 😕

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

10 hours ago, Meridimac said:

I'm sorry to be a naysayer here, but my experience inserting DXEs after EtherRegen and a Cisco 2960 switch, and before a long run of CAT5e through the walls past all kinds of devices, and then the other piece installed before a second Cisco switch gave me reduced dynamics compared to no filters. Suggestions?

I will now try these on a different, long CAT5e run to an Allo USBridge for my Audeze headphones before I rule them out.

I am using 7 ethernet wires on my digital chain with DXEs with positive results.They are different quality from no name cat5 to audiophile ethernet wires. Best results was got installed on Sablon Audio ethernet wires right before and after Ether Regen.

What it is your digital chain? I am suggest to you use your EtherRegen on position last device before your music player, renderer, endpoint, or ethernet DAC, especialy if you powering yours Cisco switches with their internal noisy switching power supplies.

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

8 hours ago, PYP said:

My DXEs are AFTER my modem/router/wifi unit and BEFORE the eR.  The theory being that the DXE in that configuration kills off some of the RF before the eR does its thing.    Also, the included pigtail DXE connectors didn't sound right to me and I don't use them.  I use short, inexpensive mono price slim line RJ45 and that works for me.  

An experiment with the copper ethernet cable after the eR (and directly to the DAC) suggested that in my system this last leg is critical (significantly upgrading the ethernet cable made a large positive difference in SQ).    If that can be generalized (perhaps not), then one needs to be careful about what follows the eR (meaning, don't muck it up).  Just one system and one data point.  

Thank you for tip to Monoprice SlimRun Cat6 Ethernet Patch Cables, will tray them soon.

Just now, chauphuong said:

Can it work with Cat7 cables? Mine are all Viablue Cat7

yes.

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

On 10/17/2021 at 3:08 AM, PYP said:

Also, the included pigtail DXE connectors didn't sound right to me and I don't use them.  I use short, inexpensive mono price slim line RJ45 and that works for me.  

Finally replaced the CAT7 pigtails supplied with the DXE with bog standard CAT5e cables a little shorter about 5cm (2") less. The original pigtails are a shielded design. Still getting used to the sound, but certainly is not worse.

With yesterday's network cable interruption, the EtherRegen is now playing up a day later, with the Lumin U1 displaying a network error. Just needs a power cycle to the ER and the Lumin and DAC off, wait a while, then power up the Lumin and the DAC in that order.

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

Finally replaced the CAT7 pigtails supplied with the DXE with bog standard CAT5e cables a little shorter about 5cm (2") less. The original pigtails are a shielded design. Still getting used to the sound, but certainly is not worse.

Don't know why, but I find that it takes a new CAT cable time to settle in, even if it has been used but out of the system for a while.  Am curious about how your experiment turns out.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

2 hours ago, PYP said:

Don't know why, but I find that it takes a new CAT cable time to settle in, even if it has been used but out of the system for a while.  Am curious about how your experiment turns out.  

I really would like to invest in boutique cables, but the Wireworld, Nordost and some Audioquest are all shielded designs. Tried shielded even with a parallel ground wire and results are not good :(. Tried a few more sessions earlier on, promising!

45 minutes ago, One and a half said:

I really would like to invest in boutique cables, but the Wireworld, Nordost and some Audioquest are all shielded designs. Tried shielded even with a parallel ground wire and results are not good :(. Tried a few more sessions earlier on, promising!

doesn't Ghent audio utilize the design John suggested for copper ethernet?  My not be boutique, but always well built and uses quality materials.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

What matters is whether or not the shield is tied to the metal end shell at both ends.  One can not know just by looking at the cable. For example, the Audioquest cables, even though they have metal end shells and a shield, they only tie the shield at one end—and that’s good.

Taking a continuity test meter to the cable is the only way to know for sure. 

That's all and good, but am not prepared to spend USD450 on a cable that's shielded at both ends the hard way. I guess I have to nag manufacturers direct as none specify how the shields are connected. Audioquest has the direction arrow, only convenient when connecting to the EtherRegen,  so you know which cable is A or B.

7 hours ago, One and a half said:

Hmm, the Ethernet cables are also shielded from Ghent,  even the plugs are metal. 

My assumption was based upon this part of the Ghent description, with a link back to John's discussion about shielding, meant that Ghent had followed John's advice:   Linkway CAT8 S/FTP 40Gbps Ethernet Cable with JSSG360 Dual-shielding protection, designed for Audio quality

The JSSG360 link leads to a page on AS where John writes:  So some ramifications of this: The traditional "connect the shield to one end and let the other end float" is not good, it does not allow a loop so shielding does not happen very well. If you add the external wire connected to the shield at both ends, then you CAN connect one or both sides of the shield to the signal ground or some other ground, but you don't NEED to for effective shielding. You will find that in many cases leaving the shield completely disconnected from the rest of the circuit is the best way to go, you get the benefit of properly working shielding without any interaction of the shield with your system. You may wind wind up with static charges on the shielding so a resistance from the shield to ground may be useful in some cases in order to dissipate static charges.

On 10/16/2021 at 7:09 PM, roman410 said:

What it is your digital chain? I am suggest to you use your EtherRegen on position last device before your music player, renderer, endpoint, or ethernet DAC, especialy if you powering yours Cisco switches with their internal noisy switching power supplies.

My situation changed when I found that I prefer the ENO Ag cable and filter just before my best Roon network endpoint. ENO replaced the ER which then found a home after the optical segment that isolates my audio gear from the main Ubiquiti router and before three endpoints (primary system, secondary and headphone station), hence the Cisco switch to serve all three.

Yes, the switch is AC powered but acceptable to me (or at least rationalized) through Shunyata cables and conditioning.

1 hour ago, Meridimac said:

Mea Culpa. After replacing the supplied blue Ethernet pigtales with your recommended short & cheap monoprice UTP versions, and letting everything play for a day or two, l find that a pair of these DXEs do indeed provide a deeper background that reveals more detail. Quieter but tighter. Thanks.

I am also hearing more, bigger bass which is OK with me, but are we getting some kind of unnatural bottom end “bloom” with these cheap devices, or were the recordings originally made that way? OCD minds want to know…

When I add a component/device to reduce noise, the settling-in process proceeds from bass to the higher frequencies and it usually takes a few weeks to be able to determine if they are all in balance.  Perhaps it will take a bit longer for you to find out in your system.  That said, you use the ENO and eR, so you have quite a few devices already.  You may not need the DXE filter or it may not work well in that setup.  

32 minutes ago, PYP said:

You may not need the DXE filter or it may not work well in that setup.  

So far, it’s been worthwhile using ER for all three endpoints through the Cisco switch. Hans B reported that positioning it before the ENO hurt his results, but I haven’t found that to be true.

I wish that someone would buy me another ENO. Barring that, a DXE pair at each end of those long inwall runs gives the other endpoints a decent lift for few dollars.

14 minutes ago, TwinPeak said:

I started experiment with the DXE-filters in July, and it was a pleasant surprise at first. Later, after the DXE-filters had settled inn, the synergetic effects levelled out. I bought two sets - one set was placed between internet modem and an Ubiquiti X-router. From the X-router I have a 7 meter stretch optical fibre to the audio network, starting with a Cisco 2960 (8-port). The other set of DXE-filters I tried at different places before EtherRegen - with almost identical result.

When I got my #2 EtherRegen and an OpticalModule (Deluxe), I removed all the DXE-filters in order to be able to hear the performance of two EtherRegens, uninterrupted by other "alien" components. And since then, the DXE-filters have been in the big drawer with audio spare parts - until last week.

The #2 EtherRegen used two month or so on fully "brake-inn", and the result was an unbelievable lift in sound quality, sound stage and musical enjoyment. Just for fun I found the DXE-filters from the drawer, and connected a set between Mac Mini and OpticalModule (see my signature). I have to mention that I had already removed the metal shield from both RJ45 plugs, as suggested by a forum member. It was easy to do. All LAN cables between the filters are high quality Ghent JSSG360.

DX-Filters-Shield-Removed.thumb.jpg.0fb60ce11a5e80b69596646a82b35c9b.jpg

I played some locally stored HD music files (24/192 and DoP) with and without the DXE-filters, and I noticed an increased richness in the upper frequencies without cluttering the instruments. A female voice, cymbals, a trompet and guitar - all played at high notes was easy to distinguish from each other, just as if there had been added some more space between instruments.

Well, the reintroduced DXE-filters will stay where they are, for now 😊

Tom

Cool, the metal is just clipped on, rather than crimped on. IIRC, the shield cable is tucked under that metal shell. Easy done 😃. The DXE work very well with the EtherRegen A side, but not so good on the B side.