IGNORED

The DXE-ISO-PLUS filter thread for various network, cable experiments

I have two pairs of the DX-ISO.

World Class tweak ---cost/benefit ratio is incredible IMHO.

This product yields EXCELLENT results. The effect is superb with noticeable increase in clarity, transparency, detail, etc...

"SERIOUS VEIL LIFTING" would be my three word summary.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been using the DX's on and off for several months with the ER and OM.

I hear no difference in detail.

I hear more transparency, larger soundstage.  

I also hear a tonal shift to brighter- stress is more on treble frequencies and less on bass.  Also, punch, and incisiveness seem softened a bit.-  I Think just could be a perception due to the focus moving to the higher frequencies.

After months of debating the positive and negative- I am going without the DX as I prefer a darker sound with more emphasis on the base.  The perceived tonal shift does not find favor in my eyes...

FOr those who prefer the brighter more open sound- DX is the way to go...

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have had a love/hate relationship with these filters for over a year.   On the one hand they bring out enormous detail and clarity, and on the other hand- they often sound dry, and sterile.  I have disconnected and reconnected them so so many times- and at times I get this sterile presentation, at times, it is not as bad.

After reading recent posts, I tested the idea that they may be "directional", and to my ears they are.   In the wrong direction- they sound dry and sterile.  In the correct direction they sound clear and musical.    The correct direction from my router to my streamer is with the "D" of the sticker facing the router and the "X" of the sticker towards the streamer- on both DX's in the signal path.   Same with my NAS.   The "D faces the router, and the "X faces the NAS for both filters.  Any other alignment- and dry and sterile it is...  

I would not be surprised if many have sold these incredible filters based on not getting this hook-up correct.  It is the difference between making things noticeably worse, or noticeably better.

On 10/31/2022 at 3:27 PM, wanta911 said:

OK I understand router to streamer as the streamer is downstream from the router but then you seem to have it the opposite way between NAS and router as the router is downstream of the NAS? Based on your first example, shouldn't the D face the NAS and X face the router?

Or maybe I just don't understand how the router and NAS interact? Which is very feasible 😁

This is what I thought.  But it sounded harsh and sterile.   It seems to my ears that the direction is always from my router to the PC or To the NAS   even though the streamer is getting the music file from the NAS and this is seemingly a violation of the direction.  Please try yourself......   Could be the Router is the "SOURCE" and therefore it always serves as the beginning point of the direction..

28 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

This is what I thought.  But it sounded harsh and sterile.   It seems to my ears that the direction is always from my router to the PC or To the NAS   even though the streamer is getting the music file from the NAS and this is seemingly a violation of the direction.  Please try yourself......   Could be the Router is the "SOURCE" and therefore it always serves as the beginning point of the direction..

Please forgive me--- I made an error.  I just checked and you are correct---- the NAS is the starting point and the two filters go in the direction of the the router, with the "D" of the sticker facing the NAS and the "X" facing the Router..  Than from the Router- the Filters go towards the streamer....  with the "D" facing the router and the "X" facing my streamer; or in my case my network switch.

55 minutes ago, Gr8tful said:

Or perhaps your system lacks synergy,  or is insufficiently setup to clearly hear the difference. No offense. Turning the dex around between nas and switch turns me around and away from listening. Maybe my results are made more significant by using ethernet cables downstream of dex that are shielded according to the generous guidance of John Swenson. The significance of the difference is like applying deoxit to terminal hardware that has oxidised over time. Or, a little more. Good luck. I hope you get there.

Which ethernet cables does John Swenson recommend?