IGNORED

The DXE-ISO-PLUS filter thread for various network, cable experiments

I am using DX in pairs from wall to Cisco switch and from swithc to ER with great results as described above - thanyk you for introducing the DX to us - I am waiting for 2 more pairs to come and will try them between NAS and Router and between ER and Streamer - great times with cool tweaks!

I would love to get any ideas to replace the little cables with short better ones.....

I have two pairs of the DX-ISO.

World Class tweak ---cost/benefit ratio is incredible IMHO.

This product yields EXCELLENT results. The effect is superb with noticeable increase in clarity, transparency, detail, etc...

"SERIOUS VEIL LIFTING" would be my three word summary.

I'm using one pair as shown in my signature line below.  Would be interested to hear from others who try the filters with systems that do NOT utilize the etherREGEN.   Just curious about different experiments and impacts.  I agree that the filters and eR are highly complementary.   

Thanks @One and a half for recommending the DXE filters and adding this topic here.   

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I have two packages on the way from an Austrian shop (about the same price but less hassle for me in the EU).  Since I run optical fiber the longest distince which is between the Sonore OM and the ER I suspect I might have less effect with them. I am thinking about putting them between the router and wall connector, between NAS (that has the music) and router or between router and OM. All those are just short distances around 0.5-1 m and I have cables with floating shielding there now, so we'll see if they're are of any use.

6 hours ago, Egill23 said:

I have two packages on the way from an Austrian shop (about the same price but less hassle for me in the EU).  Since I run optical fiber the longest distince which is between the Sonore OM and the ER I suspect I might have less effect with them. I am thinking about putting them between the router and wall connector, between NAS (that has the music) and router or between router and OM. All those are just short distances around 0.5-1 m and I have cables with floating shielding there now, so we'll see if they're are of any use.

I use my set of DXE filter between my English Electric 8Switch and my EtherRegen. The network cable (cat8) is 1,5 m long. I can hear the positive uplift in soundquality that others has described in this thread. Allthough DX Engeneering says it gives effective filtering for 160 through 10 meters.

4 hours ago, sgb said:

Allthough DX Engeneering says it gives effective filtering for 160 through 10 meters.

160m = 1.873 MHz, 10m = 29.975 MHz, for the radio amateur important to know, for us in audio, frequency is the usual norm.

I would really like to know below 1.8MHz, what it does, in particular what attenuation one Halo has compared to well we know what four looks like. SMPS has is around 50-100kHz upwards of noise, must be something else we wouldn't hear it.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

10 hours ago, Egill23 said:

Once you have the filters delivered, installed and listened to, please send a link 🙂

When the DX filters are fitted inline with the source, whether it from a switch or router to the audio end (start) point, is a good place to start.

With a few spare DX 10 pack left over, I added these to the router, so all three Ethernet cables in and out of the router have DX filters.

Cable Modem ----DX-------> Router in

Router out 1 ----DX -----> JCAT NET FEMTO 1

JCAT NET FEMTO 2---DX-- 25m CAT5e ---> EtherRegen A | B---> Lumin U1

Router out 2 ---DX ------> Switch 24 Port

SQ wise I did not expect a big change, and there's a very slight change in tiny details, but will leave them installed for future streaming. service. In any case no backward change. All IT gear in this area is powered by a standby UPS it's output is connected to a 230V/120V Isolation transformer, in TN rules, since I cannot guarantee there is a two pole switch in the front end of the loads.

Notes:

The standby UPS is a Cyberpower 1500VA with their passive filtering in non UPS mode. The power from the street is not reliable, not that the voltage goes all over the place, it drops to zero, reestablishes, drops out again and messes up the server PCs. 

IT gear includes, the cable modem, switch, router, PC which houses the JCAT NET Femto, powered by a linear 5V 2A supply.

TN is where secondary neutral of the transformer (1000VA standard type toroid) is jumper to earth (ground). 

Router, Cable modem power from the same 12V open style SMPS. 

The theory is the noise from the IT gear stays in its loop back to the ISO transformer. The division of IT and audio gear is the EtherRegen. If the DX are only used, enough of them should filter the signal to the audio end point. Using the EtherRegen isolates the world of IT and audio which is important.

I would recommend that any IT infrastructure equipment is on a different supply than the audio system. Using a linear supply on IT gear, prevents noise placed back on the AC supply, inherently there's no isolation other than the small transformers in the RJ45 connectors. Using a DX confirms that the noise reduction of the small transformers in IT gear RJ45 is not that effective and they pass noise very well to the detriment of the signal which is audible.

In case the formatting messes up the spaces.

image.thumb.png.f8d97a67205c049001d8ea2173843ace.png

Out of curiosity, I bought two pairs and the positive improvements are there, better base, high frequency lack of glare, all the important perspectives you want to improve.  However, I got pops noise here and there, like I am listening to LPs.  Given the positive side, I feel I can even live with those pops.  My digital chain is like following:

NAS-ASUS 5G Router-Netgear GS305 switch - Apple Mac Mini M1 - HQPlayer-SOtM SMS s200 - Mutec USB 3+ - Metrnum Pavan DAC.  Apple Mac Mini and SOtM s200 are linked through Bridge.  The two pair of DX Plus are used between M1 and SMs100, and between GS305 to M1.  Any ideas what can cause those pops.  

6 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Out of curiosity, I bought two pairs and the positive improvements are there, better base, high frequency lack of glare, all the important perspectives you want to improve.  However, I got pops noise here and there, like I am listening to LPs.  Given the positive side, I feel I can even live with those pops.  My digital chain is like following:

NAS-ASUS 5G Router-Netgear GS305 switch - Apple Mac Mini M1 - HQPlayer-SOtM SMS s200 - Mutec USB 3+ - Metrnum Pavan DAC.  Apple Mac Mini and SOtM s200 are linked through Bridge.  The two pair of DX Plus are used between M1 and SMs100, and between GS305 to M1.  Any ideas what can cause those pops.  

I hope the pops weren't there always.... 

Suggest to move one pair between the NAS and the router away from the output of the Mac mini and sms 100. Reason being there could be adverse reaction there.

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

I hope the pops weren't there always.... 

Suggest to move one pair between the NAS and the router away from the output of the Mac mini and sms 100. Reason being there could be adverse reaction there.

Good suggestions!  That is going to be my next step.  Unfortunately the pops were there always, in the frequency of once every 10 to 15 seconds.  The intensity is trivial but noticeable.  I checked the traffic of information, there was no sign of information spikes at all.  

1 hour ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Good suggestions!  That is going to be my next step.  Unfortunately the pops were there always, in the frequency of once every 10 to 15 seconds.  The intensity is trivial but noticeable.  I checked the traffic of information, there was no sign of information spikes at all.  

Interesting, I also use bridging connection on my windows 10 NUC, and DX filters but do not experiencing this behavior.

I will try first connect all your devices thru Netgear switch ( router, streamer, nas and bridged mac mini). If that do not help next I will try eliminating bridging connection.

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

33 minutes ago, roman410 said:

Interesting, I also use bridging connection on my windows 10 NUC, and DX filters but do not experiencing this behavior.

I will try first connect all your devices thru Netgear switch ( router, streamer, nas and bridged mac mini). If that do not help next I will try eliminating bridging connection.

Thank you!  I see the similarity between yours and mine, given yours is much more sophisticated.  Do you use HQPlayer as well?  I somehow feel the dense data flow of HQPlayer output processed by Mac Mini may cause extra difficulty.  

9 minutes ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Thank you!  I see the similarity between yours and mine, given yours is much more sophisticated.  Do you use HQPlayer as well?  I somehow feel the dense data flow of HQPlayer output processed by Mac Mini may cause extra difficulty.  

I use logitech media player on my NUC. Unfortunately I do not have experience with HQ player. But think that it is good idea check HQ player settings.

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

6 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Ticks are usually due to starving buffers in the music player. I haven't used HQPlayer for a while, but there are settings that can increase the buffer and should remove the ticks.

Can also be due to aggressive USB audiophile type cables, which have too much capacitance, that can also affect playback more severely, like dropout, or white noise.

I installed a pair of the DXE filters between my cable modem and a long run of crappy CAT 5 to my router near my system and another one before the router. When I built my house 13 years ago, I had taken a break from high-end audio and of course I never imagined that I'd be streaming high-res music from the web, so I kinda cheaped-out on the Ethernet cable going to the living room.

So far, I am quite favorably impressed. I feel like I am hearing further into each recording, soundstage depth in particular is improved, and bass detail is better as well. I also detect an improvement in dynamics and slam. In my experience these changes are indicative of a lowered noise floor. Streamed files now sound very much the same as do local CD rips.

I thus far can not detect any downsides and I am not inclined to add additional DXEs after the router.

The chain after my (Sbooster powered) router, I have an (LPS 1.2 powered) EtherREGEN to a second (Sbooster powered) EtherREGEN to an (Uptone JS-2 powered) RoonNucleus+. Cabling is all AQ Cinnamon Ethernet ahead of the second EtherREGEN .

Andy

On 6/8/2021 at 5:55 PM, One and a half said:

Ticks are usually due to starving buffers in the music player. I haven't used HQPlayer for a while, but there are settings that can increase the buffer and should remove the ticks.

Can also be due to aggressive USB audiophile type cables, which have too much capacitance, that can also affect playback more severely, like dropout, or white noise.

Yes, the consideration of starving buffer certainly makes sense. Thank you.  I actually increased the buffer time from 20ms to 50ms in HQP settings.  The pops were completely eliminated.  I should say before I changed the buffer time, the pops situation had already been greatly mitigated over the time, could be the burn-in process as I noticed that,  every time I change the network configuration, even with minor variations, it takes time to stabilize everything.  

However, when I was adding the second pair of DX between the switch and the Mac Mini M1, the pops came back.  The pops did not go away even when I changed the buffer time from 50ms to 100ms.  Could be the burning-in again or some other unknown incompatibility.  Well, to me the most important part is between Mac Mini and SoTM 200, given that I transfer the current album to Mac Mini, and temporarily stored there before being processed by the HQPlayer.  I think the entire timing of digital playback should be largely dictated by the Mutec USB 3+.

The SQ improvement is quite obvious in my system.  

On 6/11/2021 at 1:44 AM, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Yes, the consideration of starving buffer certainly makes sense. Thank you.  I actually increased the buffer time from 20ms to 50ms in HQP settings.  The pops were completely eliminated.  I should say before I changed the buffer time, the pops situation had already been greatly mitigated over the time, could be the burn-in process as I noticed that,  every time I change the network configuration, even with minor variations, it takes time to stabilize everything.  

However, when I was adding the second pair of DX between the switch and the Mac Mini M1, the pops came back.  The pops did not go away even when I changed the buffer time from 50ms to 100ms.  Could be the burning-in again or some other unknown incompatibility.  Well, to me the most important part is between Mac Mini and SoTM 200, given that I transfer the current album to Mac Mini, and temporarily stored there before being processed by the HQPlayer.  I think the entire timing of digital playback should be largely dictated by the Mutec USB 3+.

The SQ improvement is quite obvious in my system.  

Wow, ok, the DX has affected the integrity on the input to the M1. I thought that possibly the buffer settings on the network adapter in the M1 could be adjusted, but the settings in my M1 nic also are only basic , the advanced settings are laughable. 

Surely should be possible to find the nic buffer settings, maybe Macos aficionados can help here.

For my  music server settings, the Nic buffers are wound high to 512kb for an Intel on a JCAT NET FEMTO,  but that server is under Windows LTSC, where settings are to hand. 

Good to see that the buffer settings were cleared by adjusting HQPlayer,  good work!

• 3 weeks later...

Spent a few weeks with DX Plus on.  Have enjoyed the sounds I heard but I would not say it was earth-shattering improvement.  As I said I enjoyed the lack of glare from tremble. As I noticed in the past I tend to be  extremely sensitive to the high frequency, to a point, that I don’t like speakers with tweeters made of high modulus materials.  During these few weeks, I also had another system change, specifically an interphase software which prepares a temporary file before it is fed into HQPLAYER.  So a few days ago, I took DX Plus out, as recommended by one contributor here but also my standard practice.  Without DX Plus but with the newly installed software in place, the impact are quite obvious, especially myself being under the exposure of DX for a few weeks. The most important thing missing  without DX Plus is the articulation of music passage, for every instrument and the combinations of them.  Without DX Plus, everything tended to collapse more closely together, ultimately the sound stage was not as wide as the when DX Plus being used.  I forgot to pay closer attention to the depth of the sound stage.  But the impact already big enough for me to switch back to DX Plus after one day.  

As I reported here previously, I noticed the hiccups caused by the installation of DX Plus.  Given the software I just installed, I realised that I may not need the DX Plus installed between the switch and Mac Mini.  So I took it out and appeared there was no sign of SQ deteriorating.  So the only connection DX Plus being used has been between Mac Mini and Sotm sMS 200.  To me, the impact of SQ is well worth the money spent on a pair of DX Plus.  

For the software I mentioned above, I encountered some problem with information overflow, meaning when the software feeding the temp file to HQPlayer and fetching the file from NAS at the same time.  The Router I am using, ASUS AX5400, may be too fast which causing the interruption of HQP playback.  So I installed the other pair of DX Plus between NAS and Router.  This proved to be a very effective way to regulate the information flow.  I notice, with DX Plus between NAS and the router, the file transfer speed is perfectly stabilized at 12.4MB/sec, through the traffic monitoring function provided by the browser-based ASUS app.  No matter how short or long a track is, the close-to-perfect trapezoidal shape of profile is generated with height always being 12.4MB/sec, with time duration depending on the individual track length.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...