IGNORED

Roon ROCK and W10 on the same PC

Hi 

Or more specifically, does anyone know if you could have a drive for ROCK and another for W10 and choose which one to boot from on the same PC?

its also occured to me that I have an AMD mb and wondering if that might be a problem etc and with tweeking BIOS....

C.

2 hours ago, Citrus said:

Hi 

Or more specifically, does anyone know if you could have a drive for ROCK and another for W10 and choose which one to boot from on the same PC?

its also occured to me that I have an AMD mb and wondering if that might be a problem etc and with tweeking BIOS....

C.

You'd have to set up dual boot - one running ROCK (linux), one running Windows. I don't understand the point,  though. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Hi guys
I did see the thing about single pc server shortly after i wrote this!

Davide256. Yes that was the answer I was wanting to know. Individual boot...

Sometimes its awkward to describe these things!

I still wasn’t sure about the AMD mb thing as ROCK seems to only be mentioned with the NUC box’s 

thanks.

C.

9 hours ago, Citrus said:

I still wasn’t sure about the AMD mb thing as ROCK seems to only be mentioned with the NUC box’s 

I think that's because Intel NUCs have been available on the market longer than the AMD equivalent which have only recently become available.

No electron left behind.

Another stratergy im exploring is whether ROCK allows streaming from Tidal?

This might be a complete contradiction?

My thoughts are that with using ROCK instead of W10 this might improve the sound as its a basic OS and not bloated W10C.

Im aware that servers are for files but im not sure if this includes streaming services?

C.

12 hours ago, Citrus said:

Hi guys
I did see the thing about single pc server shortly after i wrote this!

Davide256. Yes that was the answer I was wanting to know. Individual boot...

Sometimes its awkward to describe these things!

thanks.

C.

Yea, I suspect driver support on AMD might be a problem vs Intel NUC.

Any reason you wouldn't consider using Audio-Linux boot for Roon server? I had no issues with it when i had an AMD PC

running Roon server

https://www.audio-linux.com/

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi aware that ROCK is a server.

Basically, in terms of SQ im wondering if its possible to run roon without w10.

There are endless comments about how it affects sound quality and then people appear to spend a small fortune trying to iron out the problems.

So my angle is to find out if roon will work on another OS. I wondered whether ROCK might be on the list but it appears not (annoyingly!)

Any ideas about another OS? And yes im one of the silly sods thats spent money on desensitising W10.

Not a huge amount but enough to keep the hardware I have and not by something else like a nucleus or what ever. Get my drift!

C.

Thanks Davide256

Im really trying to explore a few avenues that might exclude W10, but without having to buy a whole load of new hardware!

Would audio-linux work as an OS for roon? I want to stream from Tidal as well (some people are so demanding!! : )

Really annoying about Euphony.

Im still messing about with it but it just doesn’t seem to work, or it does but when it feels like getting out of bed for a short while!!!!

Not sure if I can ever get that working properly on a PC. I took the drive out that has W10 so i knew it wouldn’t affect anything but allas it was not to be. 
The sound is great but if it doesnt work its just a waste of cash! Seems to fast becoming a dead duck!

C.

Absolutely incredible!

Ive been messing around with Euphony all evening with not a peep of sound so i start shutting it down and suddenly hear Hans Zimmmer in the background and Euphony has suddenly decided to start!! On shutdown! Incredible!! Actually I cant do any thing but find it hilarious : )

First of all...

Roon ROCK

Audio Linux
and

Euphony

are all meant to be the sole operating system on a device.

Second, make sure you understand what you're doing before moving forward. Or at least have a good backup of your important data on your win10 machine.

Third, are you 100% sure you understand what the ROCK is and how Roon works? Maybe just get the software on your machine and start playing around with it and then move on with a bit of experience.

No electron left behind.

5 hours ago, Citrus said:

Thanks Davide256

Im really trying to explore a few avenues that might exclude W10, but without having to buy a whole load of new hardware!

Would audio-linux work as an OS for roon? I want to stream from Tidal as well (some people are so demanding!! : )

Yes. It’s more fiddly for initial setup than Euphony ( dos like menu) but once you go through setup you shouldn’t need to mess with it again unless Roon needs an update. And the cost is less~ $100

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Thanks David256

Ill look up some roon install on linux. Really hate dos. Its hardcore computing, all letters n numbers n stuff : (

I wondered if youve tried it and what you thought of the SQ?

Roon on Linux compared to w10.

I use Audiophile Optimizer but im really not sure how much of windows that strips out and ultimately whether it get rid enough MS ‘dirt’ !

Im still getting frustrated about Euphony.

I listened to a bit of Frank Zapper, a track called ‘Zoot Allure’.

Its actually quite normal by Zapper standards.

I noticed a big difference in the kick drum on Euphony.

It some how a really tight low ‘kick’ were as Roon sounded more loose so the sound was slightly more extended and appeared to have more bass but ultimately lacked that lower sharp kick. Lots of reverb on the track as well that seem more composed. Fab bit of guitar. The rest of the album is typically weird Zapper and never listen to it!!

Annoyingly with Euphony ive never been able to listen to it long enough to know if it is good enough to warrant the extra hardware and there seems to be this reliability issue. Yes I want my cake and eat it!!

C.