IGNORED

The quest for flat frequency responce may be futile if you have age related hearing loss. Use DSP to find YOUR "flat".

I reccomend using DSP, specifically a high quality parametric equalizer, to retrieve frequencies lost to those of us with age (or occupational) related hearing loss,

In simplistic terms one could ask an audiologist for a detailed graph of the dips in one's hearing and using a parametric eq, boost those deminished frequencies to restore them to "flat" or a younger hearing range. 

If you think about it the artist and studio production team might have been in a pre hearing loss age range. So their hearing at the time of signing off on the final mixes and mastering will be different than an older person who's hearing is somewhat deminished, so why not compensate with equalisation? 

Anyhow, that's what I do. I reccomended it. 

Jules

Qobuz - Roon - Weiss 501 DAC - ADAM Audio A5X  + sub  & Meze Empyrean headphones

I've been doing that for a while and it works well. 

The better programmable hearing aids can also do quite a bit of the work for you. They are essentially doing the same thing within the hearing aid. The advantage is that they can have a response curve that's matched to make up for your specific personal hearing loss issues.

I'd hazard a guess that many audiophiles over 50 would find they have mild to moderate hearing loss if they were tested. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @Pro Jules for launching this topic.

I got requests from customer using my correction service to generate filters for hearing losses. So I dig a little bit into this question and found out that "standard" eq is not fully appropriate.

This is because hearing loss is not linear : in each impacted frequency region, quieter sounds will require more gain than louder ones. 

Hearing aid devices do implement such non linear gain structure. In studio langage, similar effect is achieved with frequency dependent compressor/expander.

I have generated a plugin to implement such correction (input based on users age or measured hearing thresholds)

Hifi_aid.jpg.d180b61b54843c60bc9cde9926fc635e.jpg

The plugin is in beta testing phase and can be downloaded from here :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cPipRWau9_c84CPXmkR6LEh5OMjwwGL3?usp=sharing

All testing feedback is welcome,
Thierry

While you wait for his answer. Simplistically speaking, imagine placing a mirror along the top green line. 

Jules

Qobuz - Roon - Weiss 501 DAC - ADAM Audio A5X  + sub  & Meze Empyrean headphones

Yes, I note the nearly 50dB drop, however,  and wonder what could possibly correct for that without damaging my wife, our dogs or my speakers (in that order).  JCR 

Hi @jrobbins50 Yes you can enter your own hearing thresholds in my plugin proposal (with the faders you can see on the user interface screenshot)

Unfortunately you need some virtual cabling solution if you want to use plugins with Roon/HQP. I have made a list of options on my website here

IMHO You don’t have to go for the full 40db boost. You can simply restore SOME of that range. 

I will post a screenshot of my Roon parametric boosts. (Simply done to taste, not a reverse mirror of an audiologist graph)

BTW I think@fresponse’s site looks to be a fantastic resource! And a this project looks to be wonderfully geeky / tech rabbit hole worth travelling down. 

Jules