IGNORED

HDR Audio

There's lots of classical music in digital that is "high dynamic range".

And the VAST majority of pop and rock music is made with little to no concern for dynamic range.

The thing is, "high dynamic range" music can only be consumed (wait for it) in an environment like an audiophile might set up in their home.  Even closed back headphones need a quiet environment for the user to consume that content.

We keep talking about the future of music consumption, and some of us are still stuck on how aging audiophiles consume it today.  The future is not with the 60 or 50 somethings.  It's not even with the 40 somethings.  And also, I want to take this opportunity to say that 97% or all music that I've listened to that is specifically created with audiophile consumption in mind sounds emotionless and dull.  Now imagine we have a new sub-genre of that that is EVEN MORE emotionless and dull.  I can't wait.  🙂

If all the money that has been put into MQA and its promotion had been put into promoting higher DR recordings, I'm pretty sure we already wouldn't have loudness war anymore. Good idea, like I said earlier I also was thinking about it some time ago, the only problem is as @Samuel T Cogley already noticed - the eventual group of  consumers interested in it is really very small, probably much too small to make anyone in the recording industry interested in the whole thing, hence what possibly awaits us soon is a standard DR of 2-3 in case of pop music and rock... B|

26 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

If all the money that has been put into MQA and its promotion had been put into promoting higher DR recordings, I'm pretty sure we already wouldn't have loudness war anymore. Good idea, like I said earlier I also was thinking about it some time ago, the only problem is as @Samuel T Cogley already noticed - the eventual group of  consumers interested in it is really very small, probably much too small to make anyone in the recording industry interested in the whole thing, hence what possibly awaits us soon is a standard DR of 2-3 in case of pop music and rock... B|

nobody wants MQA and Tidal has every recording in MQA. 

Movies have done this and I’d say the target audience is similar. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Movies have done this and I’d say the target audience is similar. 

No Chris, it's a different situation with movies, in their case the higher dynamic range was simply successfully introduced (although it's not as catchy as the number of K's before 'HD'!). In case of music the damage to the natural, high DR has in general already been done, it would be about undoing it.

BTW - loudness war, MQA.. is there some other field of technology in which humanity moves backwards instead of moving forward except from the music industry.?

4 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

No Chris, it's a different situation with movies, in their case the higher dynamic range was simply successfully introduced (although it's not as catchy as the number of K's before 'HD'!). In case of music the damage to the natural, high DR has in general already been done, it would be about undoing it.

BTW - loudness war, MQA.. is there some other field of technology in which humanity moves backwards instead of moving forward except from the music industry.?

I don’t follow you. Old movies without HDR have to be remastered as well. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

There's lots of classical music in digital that is "high dynamic range".

And the VAST majority of pop and rock music is made with little to no concern for dynamic range.

The thing is, "high dynamic range" music can only be consumed (wait for it) in an environment like an audiophile might set up in their home.  Even closed back headphones need a quiet environment for the user to consume that content.

We keep talking about the future of music consumption, and some of us are still stuck on how aging audiophiles consume it today.  The future is not with the 60 or 50 somethings.  It's not even with the 40 somethings.  And also, I want to take this opportunity to say that 97% or all music that I've listened to that is specifically created with audiophile consumption in mind sounds emotionless and dull.  Now imagine we have a new sub-genre of that that is EVEN MORE emotionless and dull.  I can't wait.  🙂

mQa is dead!

Higher DR alone doesn't guarantee high quality audio files, so why bother. MQA came about cos there was a need to fix all the poor quality recordings out there, unfortunately once the damage has been done you can't fix it. There needs to be a new gold standard for studios that guarantees high qualty recordings. 

23 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Higher DR alone doesn't guarantee high quality audio files, so why bother. MQA came about cos there was a need to fix all the poor quality recordings out there, unfortunately once the damage has been done you can't fix it. There needs to be a new gold standard for studios that guarantees high qualty recordings. 

Nothing alone guarantees anything, so we should do nothing? 4K, HDR etc… aren’t guarantees, so why bother?

I say it’s one indicator among others. 

6 hours ago, Rexp said:

Uhm... No. MQA came because Meridian wanted to make a ton of money from people's gullibility, and it worked. MQA definitely does not fix anything. 

An annoying noise annoys an oyster

34 minutes ago, Anonamemouse said:

Uhm... No. MQA came because Meridian wanted to make a ton of money from people's gullibility, and it worked. MQA definitely does not fix anything. 

So you like most digital audio files, lucky you...lol

Dynamic range is a subjective thing - IME, nearly all audio rigs can't be turned up to something approaching realistic sound levels - because the playback distortion is now too obvious, and makes the listening too unpleasant. It requires careful finessing in most cases to provide the replay with enough integrity to sustain realistic volumes while still sounding 'effortless' - hence, bland recordings which don't offend anyone - except those who want their music to have a bit of guts, 😁.

22 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That’s a great argument for mediocrity. 

The movie industry seems OK with 4K HDR even though many watch movies on Mobile phones. 

The future argument. One that can’t be refuted. Kind of like saying you have a picture of you when you were younger. All pictures of you are when you were younger. 

HDR in movies is primarily a feature for explosion movie franchises like Star Wars.  An HDR-ified Die Hard (shot on film) shows an unnatural gleam of headlights in the beginning of the movie, but not much else.  And theater projector bulbs were never bright enough in the day to give movie goers an "HDR experience" from projected film.

Where HDR TVs really show their value is displaying HDR-enabled video games.

There just isn't a direct correlation to audio in any of this.  Explosion Movies are the polar opposite of artistic considerations given to "audiophile recordings", in spite of how mind numbingly boring I find almost all of them.

18 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

HDR in movies is primarily a feature for explosion movie franchises like Star Wars.  An HDR-ified Die Hard (shot on film) shows an unnatural gleam of headlights in the beginning of the movie, but not much else.  And theater projector bulbs were never bright enough in the day to give movie goers an "HDR experience" from projected film.

Where HDR TVs really show their value is displaying HDR-enabled video games.

There just isn't a direct correlation to audio in any of this.  Explosion Movies are the polar opposite of artistic considerations given to "audiophile recordings", in spite of how mind numbingly boring I find almost all of them.

Interesting take. I don’t think it’s accurate though. 

CR is fairly unbiased - https://www.consumerreports.org/tvs/everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-hdr-tvs/

Am I reading you right that you see no value in high dynamic range for audio?