IGNORED

HDR Audio

20 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, I haven't thought through this one yet, but the idea just came to me over lunch. Perhaps it's a dumb idea, but upon first blush it seems like a good idea. 

440px-HDR10+_Logo.png440px-HDR_10_logo_(black).svg.png

The movie industry has HDR / high dynamic range specifications and I believe these specs are more important than the arms race to 4K and beyond. Similarly, I'm a huge fan of audio recordings with high dynamic range and believe it's more important than the arms race to 24/192 and beyond. 

Question: Shouldn't there be push for an HDR equivalent standard in audio and a corresponding logo to let consumers know a recording is HDR? It seems that this is potentially more valuable information than the Hi-Res audio logo developed several years ago. 

Caveat: Just like in movies, HDR in audio doesn't always mean good audio quality or lack of audio quality for recordings without it. 

What would that look like for audio? And do we really need more dynamic range than what could be provided by a 24bit or 32bit file?

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

When I listen to the Pittsburg Symphony’s rendition of Bruckner’s Symphony Number 9, I hear excellent dynamics, especially the second movements. I have it in AIFF 24/192. The the CD on dynamic range database has the three movements as 11 9 and 13. Sounds a lot more dynamic than that for me.

No reason we couldn't have 16 or 17.

mQa is dead!

2 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

There's lots of classical music in digital that is "high dynamic range".

And the VAST majority of pop and rock music is made with little to no concern for dynamic range.

The thing is, "high dynamic range" music can only be consumed (wait for it) in an environment like an audiophile might set up in their home.  Even closed back headphones need a quiet environment for the user to consume that content.

We keep talking about the future of music consumption, and some of us are still stuck on how aging audiophiles consume it today.  The future is not with the 60 or 50 somethings.  It's not even with the 40 somethings.  And also, I want to take this opportunity to say that 97% or all music that I've listened to that is specifically created with audiophile consumption in mind sounds emotionless and dull.  Now imagine we have a new sub-genre of that that is EVEN MORE emotionless and dull.  I can't wait.  🙂

mQa is dead!