IGNORED

HDR Audio

22 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Loud pop music has always been a thing, as long as pop music has been around.  The thing about HDR audio, is if you turn it up loud enough to hear the quiet parts, you can potentially damage your system and/or hearing when the loud parts come.  Probably not ideal for pop music consumption.

While loud pop music "has always been a thing", there is a difference between the dynamic range of pop music as it existed before the "loudness wars" and what it is now. Akin to your comment about HDR audio, pop music dynamic range has been compressed for its primarily young consumer demographic that listens mainly via mobile devices and headphones.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

18 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

What do you suppose was the dynamic range of the typical pop 78?  Or Phil Spector's entire career output?  Pop has pretty much always been compressed.

I understand the notion of "HDR Audio" being some way to bring the Loudness Wars to heel, but let's call it that, and not try to compare it to HDR video.  The analogy fails on so many levels.

Perhaps you can assist me because I must have missed it. I can't seem to find a comparison or, for that matter, any reference to HDR video in my post. 🙂

Moreover, your reference to the Loudness Wars would certainly appear to be agreement that the degree of compression in pop music has increased as a consequence thereof which, of course, was my point.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron