IGNORED

HDR Audio

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, I haven't thought through this one yet, but the idea just came to me over lunch. Perhaps it's a dumb idea, but upon first blush it seems like a good idea. 

440px-HDR10+_Logo.png440px-HDR_10_logo_(black).svg.png

The movie industry has HDR / high dynamic range specifications and I believe these specs are more important than the arms race to 4K and beyond. Similarly, I'm a huge fan of audio recordings with high dynamic range and believe it's more important than the arms race to 24/192 and beyond. 

Question: Shouldn't there be push for an HDR equivalent standard in audio and a corresponding logo to let consumers know a recording is HDR? It seems that this is potentially more valuable information than the Hi-Res audio logo developed several years ago. 

Caveat: Just like in movies, HDR in audio doesn't always mean good audio quality or lack of audio quality for recordings without it. 

Sounds like a good way to counter MQA as well.

No electron left behind.

I can count my 16/44 albums that have zero hits on HQPlayers new counter of limiter hits on one hand. Less compressed files would be very welcome, and listen up music companies, if real, would make me spend money again buying music.

The only problem I see with this approach is that there are types of music that by their nature have very little dynamic range.

No electron left behind.

11 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

As long as we're on the topic, do you know how many nits of brightness your TV has?  My Sony claims to be 900 nits.

Who cares?

IN the context of this topic I know that a music file that has not been compressed sounds better than a music file that has been compressed.

No electron left behind.

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Only thing I know is that my computer display has 1600 nits. 

About that. My monitor is 600 nits and I have to browse in dark mode, especially at night or the thing is just far too bright. I can't even imagine what 1600 nits must look like.

No electron left behind.