IGNORED

HDR Audio

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, I haven't thought through this one yet, but the idea just came to me over lunch. Perhaps it's a dumb idea, but upon first blush it seems like a good idea. 

440px-HDR10+_Logo.png440px-HDR_10_logo_(black).svg.png

The movie industry has HDR / high dynamic range specifications and I believe these specs are more important than the arms race to 4K and beyond. Similarly, I'm a huge fan of audio recordings with high dynamic range and believe it's more important than the arms race to 24/192 and beyond. 

Question: Shouldn't there be push for an HDR equivalent standard in audio and a corresponding logo to let consumers know a recording is HDR? It seems that this is potentially more valuable information than the Hi-Res audio logo developed several years ago. 

Caveat: Just like in movies, HDR in audio doesn't always mean good audio quality or lack of audio quality for recordings without it. 

Sounds like a good way to counter MQA as well.

No electron left behind.

Good one Chris. Indeed you're prescient and this is one of the things I was going to bring out in a post this weekend.

Years ago, I suggested that we really should advocate for an "Advanced Resolution" version of an album alongside the "Standard Resolution" version. Only then will we hear differences and potentially tap into the capabilities of hi-res.

Remember that "Advanced Resolution" as I recall was also the term used back in the day of DVD-A.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

True 10-bit vs 8-bit + FRC Monitor | What is the difference?

https://www.isolapse.com/true-10-bit-vs-8-bit-frc-monitor-what-is-the-difference/

Why Your HDR Monitor is (Probably) Not HDR at All – and Why DisplayHDR 400 Needs to Go

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/why-your-hdr-monitor-is-probably-not-hdr-at-all-and-why-displayhdr-400-needs-to-go/

If you’ve got a screen which promotes HDR but lacks any kind of VESA certification, there’s a very good chance that it offers no real HDR experience. You’d have to delve in to the product specs to understand what it does or doesn’t offer in terms of local dimming, extended colour gamut, colour bit depth etc. Chances are, there’s nothing meaningful being offered and it might be hard to tell unless the manufacturer provides specific details.

Does THX Certification Matter?

https://www.technobuffalo.com/does-thx-certification-matter

We’ve all dreamed of duplicating that theater experience in our homes, and then you see the THX logo on home audio equipment, and think you truly can do it.  But can it possibly duplicate that theater sound?

The short answer is that it indeed can … if you have the wherewithal to hire someone to set it all up correctly and want to make sure every piece of equipment is also THX certified.

Thanks but no thanks, as if HDR weren't just as bad as MQA to begin with.

I would be really grateful if they're actually focusing on proper mastering (i.e. basics and fundamentals etc.) rather than inventing whole bunch of marketing buzzwords that genuinely mean less than nothing IMHO.

6 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

True 10-bit vs 8-bit + FRC Monitor | What is the difference?

https://www.isolapse.com/true-10-bit-vs-8-bit-frc-monitor-what-is-the-difference/

Why Your HDR Monitor is (Probably) Not HDR at All – and Why DisplayHDR 400 Needs to Go

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/why-your-hdr-monitor-is-probably-not-hdr-at-all-and-why-displayhdr-400-needs-to-go/

Does THX Certification Matter?

https://www.technobuffalo.com/does-thx-certification-matter

Thanks but no thanks, as if HDR weren't just as bad as MQA to begin with.

I would be really grateful if they're actually focusing on proper mastering (i.e. basics and fundamentals etc.) rather than inventing whole bunch of marketing buzzwords that genuinely mean less than nothing IMHO.

You do understand what dynamic range is for audio right? 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I think this would be a nice idea, but there are a few small problems...

The Dynamic Range Meter is attempting to cover this area. Unfortunately it is quite flawed. It measures thye wrong thing. You can create the most perfect super dynamic mix and master, but add a tiny bit of low end (bass) and down goes the DR measurement. 

A much better unit would be the LUFS measurement, as used in studios. Unfortunately I don't think there is any (free or really cheap) software program to analyse music for the LUFS levels that can be installed/used by consumers. 

Until you find a way to tackle this so that consumers can fill a database like the Dynamic Range Database AND you can convince the guy that runs this database to close shop (which he just might agree to, I have not seen any maintenance been done for over a year now) so a new initative has a chance to grow, it's going to be a challenge.

An annoying noise annoys an oyster

20 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, I haven't thought through this one yet, but the idea just came to me over lunch. Perhaps it's a dumb idea, but upon first blush it seems like a good idea. 

440px-HDR10+_Logo.png440px-HDR_10_logo_(black).svg.png

The movie industry has HDR / high dynamic range specifications and I believe these specs are more important than the arms race to 4K and beyond. Similarly, I'm a huge fan of audio recordings with high dynamic range and believe it's more important than the arms race to 24/192 and beyond. 

Question: Shouldn't there be push for an HDR equivalent standard in audio and a corresponding logo to let consumers know a recording is HDR? It seems that this is potentially more valuable information than the Hi-Res audio logo developed several years ago. 

Caveat: Just like in movies, HDR in audio doesn't always mean good audio quality or lack of audio quality for recordings without it. 

What would that look like for audio? And do we really need more dynamic range than what could be provided by a 24bit or 32bit file?

mQa is dead!

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes. That’s kind of why I’m thinking of this. The arms race to more kilohertz but with no dynamic range is ridiculous. 

Would love to get the experience of Sheffield Direct to DIsc with digital audio. HD storage is cheap ... no issues with upping my storage from 2TB to 20Tb to house

the same library at full dynamic range

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

The most important concept of HDR10 is, they define 1:1 relation between digital signal value and pixel output illuminance, now content creators decide end user monitor's brightness ( Candela per square meter) , end user cannot adjust monitor brightness.

Equivalent of audio is to fix sound pressure level of users' speakers and remove volume knob from amplifier. I think it is possible in movie theaters...

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

I can count my 16/44 albums that have zero hits on HQPlayers new counter of limiter hits on one hand. Less compressed files would be very welcome, and listen up music companies, if real, would make me spend money again buying music.

The only problem I see with this approach is that there are types of music that by their nature have very little dynamic range.

No electron left behind.

When I listen to the Pittsburg Symphony’s rendition of Bruckner’s Symphony Number 9, I hear excellent dynamics, especially the second movements. I have it in AIFF 24/192. The the CD on dynamic range database has the three movements as 11 9 and 13. Sounds a lot more dynamic than that for me.

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

When I listen to the Pittsburg Symphony’s rendition of Bruckner’s Symphony Number 9, I hear excellent dynamics, especially the second movements. I have it in AIFF 24/192. The the CD on dynamic range database has the three movements as 11 9 and 13. Sounds a lot more dynamic than that for me.

No reason we couldn't have 16 or 17.

mQa is dead!