IGNORED

Layla Album Revisited - Tedeschi Trucks Band & Friends

Like Susan's vocals, love Derek's playing as does EC and did BB.

Not sure I can identify a Ronson solo.  Know he worked with Bowie, Mott the Hoople/Hunter, Lou Reed and other greats.

My GT is an early 1957, dark back, pre-sticker PAFs with brushed covers, so one of the early humbucker LPs.  Is pictured in a color photo in "Gibson Electrics: The Classic Years An Illustrated History from the Mid 30s to the Mid 60s" by A.R. Duchossoir.  Third vintage guitar purchase, followed a 1962 LP/SG Ebony Block and a 1964 Firebird V, both since sold after 20 years.  Will see if I can add a photo:

1957 LP.jpg

Clicked on the link to your audio system, mostly greek to me.  What DAC do you use?

Tone with Soul

30 minutes ago, Iving said:

Really, really, really nice. Just congratulations.

I saw Derek plays an SG on Layla.

The GT is a beautiful instrument, had luck with a good year and bonus that let me acquire it for not much more than some of the limited edition custom shop versions go for today.  

Have seen Derek perform several times over the years, always with an SG except at a Beacon Theater ABB show where he played a GT, which I believe was Duane's held at the ABB museum in Macon.  He pulls out the LPs for ABB tunes.  Heard the 2020 The Brothers MSG show? Derek was on fire. My wife, who has had enough of guitars, even watched the whole show that was broadcast on NUGS.  She said it was like being there.

Before EC and the inter web ruined the vintage guitar market by bringing in non-player collectors and jacking prices to extremes, went a little crazy with a new old instrument or two a year.  Have owned 1957, 1958, 1960, 1963 and 1964 Strats, down to two now.  Owned a 1980s Martin D-45 and sold it when I took delivery of a D-42 Adi/Brazilian Cutaway that Bill Collings built for me.  Love Collings acoustics and electrics so much that I play them more than the vintage instruments.  Only exception is a 2021 acquired 1934 L-5, which I can't put down.

DAC looks like studio gear, reason I bought a Mytek when they first came out, now use a B+.

Tone with Soul

The GT was owned by well-regarded dealer Gil Southworth, who said it was the cleanest he had ever seen back in 1992 or so.  He sent the picture for the book.  It had been traded to a NYC dealer with a Jaguar automobile for a Burst.  Bought it from that dealer.  Have only played it out several of times over the years, when I have had control over venue conditions.  Recorded some tracks for folks on their projects with it.  But not real comfortable taking it to a local bar or weekly jam.  Take a Collings City Limits, or a Bartlett Retrospec, or a J Gustavsson Bluesmaster for LP tones.  Did take a 1958 Black Beauty out to bars as it was less pristine, most folks thought it was a reissue.  Sold it in January as vintage maker is hot (it was beautiful, but too heavy for me and I had fun with it for 20+ years). 

Never heard of RedNet/Dante.  Have friends who are deep into studio stuff, they'll explain it to me.  I keep playing guitar through low tech tube amps and minimal effects (many are too complicated for me to figure out how to use).

Tone with Soul

NY's "Old Black" is a 1953 GT, added Bigsby and tuneamatic, Firebird pick up in bridge with chromed covers, pick guard painted black when he got it in trade from Jim Messina in 1968.  His main instrument on stage today, still.  Larry Crag to us that NY bought up a dozen or so 1953 and 1954 GTs to find back ups, didn't like the 1954s as much (maybe a neck angle thing as they changed neck angles during this period).  Keeps a couple of 1953s as back ups.  

I have gigged all the other old ones, the Strats, 1959 335, 345, 355 and 64 335...but the GT is just kinda too clean.   

Tone with Soul