IGNORED

Article: Apple Music Lossless, High Resolution, and Dolby Atmos Announced

17 minutes ago, Confused said:

Like this I guess:

How can I listen to Dolby Atmos music?

.....or by connecting your Apple TV 4K to a compatible TV or audiovisual receiver.

(So Apple TV via HDMI only I think)

Yes, with Apple hardware. I'm thinking about other ways and the nuances that are bound to appear. For example, finding an official Apple statement about which audio is supported over AirPlay is like pulling teeth. Sure, it can be done usually, but it isn't easy. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

30 minutes ago, BrownMagic said:

This is great news! And it must sending some shivers to the competition. 

What I an eager is to know how do we stream in high res to our dac? 

Airplay 2 is not the answer since it not lossless and it goes through the device hence draining battery.  So is Airplat 3 in the works? Are we getting an Apple Connect?

This will be a journey. Without integration into products from Roon, Aurender, Lumin, Audirvana, etc... it will be really tough. Apple Music won't change the sample rate automatically, so we are back to the Audio Midi issues of 2007. 

Sonos may eventually get lossless or 48 kHz from Apple Music, but that's not incredibly exciting. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, ChipotleCoyote said:

I also noticed KEF's LS50 Wireless II page now lists the Apple Music in addition to the AirPlay 2 logo, making me wonder if they have, or plan to, integrate it directly.

My guess is that KEF is using a StreamUnlimited card, so this service comes with the card as an option. If HiFI companies want Apple Music lossless etc.. this is probably the way to get it. Working with a much larger vendor who can work with Apple. 

35 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have mixed feelings about this, however if we can't use it in a way we want to with our systems, are locked into using Apple Music to stream it, and are unable to purchase/download Hi-Res, I fail to see any reason at all to use it.

Yes, if it's just tied to Apple Music and Sonos type products, then it isn't for many in this niche. However, it's a great thing overall that the biggest players in the market are offering it and it can only help people gain exposure to higher quality. If 0.0005 percent of people drift over to HiFi, our niche is looking really good. 

18 minutes ago, BrownMagic said:

Well I would like to ensure that I am able to get the highest resolution possible with the least boxes but that doesn’t mean we are any less of any audiophile. In fact Roon and HQP don’t matter to me at all. There is a a big demand for something like Spotify connect that can do the highest res possible and I fall into that category. The app developed by an apple or a Spotify Will any day be more robust than what a 3rd party like Roon can make so we prefer. I guess that’s why we have many services for each of us. 

I would absolutely love a "connect" type feature from all services, that could stream the highest resolutions available. 

1 hour ago, KenG said:

Where did you find that there might be an additional monthly cost for access to Apple Music Hi-Res audio? The press releases aren't very clear but I was under the impression that all Lossless (Redbook & Hi-Res) would be included in the $10 monthly cost.

In the press release Apple is clearly making a distinction between Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless. 

"Apple Music’s Lossless tier starts at CD quality, which is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz (kilohertz), and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz and is playable natively on Apple devices.

For the true audiophile, Apple Music also offers Hi-Resolution Lossless all the way up to 24 bit at 192 kHz.

Availability

Spatial Audio with support for Dolby Atmos and Lossless Audio will be available to Apple Music subscribers at no additional cost.

Due to the large file sizes and bandwidth needed for Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless Audio, subscribers will need to opt in to the experience. Hi-Res Lossless also requires external equipment, such as a USB digital-to-analog converter (DAC)."

31 minutes ago, Marco Klobas said:

It's an "elegant/smart" answer about iTunes purchases to inform that it's not possible to upgrade owned purchases to ALAC, inviting users to subscribe to Apple Music if they aren't already. 🙂

That's my interpretation.

Yes. This is very clear to me as well. 

44 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Also, are people following the Epic Games/Apple lawsuit? The reason I ask, is because one Apple upper manager stated that the reason there is so much malware on Apple computers is because people can download and install software for anywhere on the internet. They want to be able to control that and hence, control what can be used on Apple PC's. This may eventually affect the whole Apple Ecosystem, meaning if you can't get it from the Apple store, you can't use it.

Hence Apple is closing wanting to close their system, rather than actually fixing the flaws that are in the OS, to me.

I think Apple way overstated the malware on macOS thing because it bolsters their argument in the lawsuit. As soon as it’s over, look for Apple to shows facts detailing how little malware actually exists on the platform. 

16 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Actually there is plenty. I remember the Adobe acrobat fiasco several years ago in which Linux and MS both had patches out in 2-3 days of the announcement - it took Apple 1 year to get out the patch. 

Yes, there is plenty, but I think there’s more to it than “it took Apple a year to patch the flaw.” If the company really wanted to or saw an immediate need, it would’ve been done it a couple days. There’s no shortage of cash at Apple. 

7 minutes ago, loop7 said:

Apple has become the gold standard of controlling the conversation and flipping an issue upside down.

I am curious how they'll do this with the recent bombshell piece in the NYT regarding encryption and data access to users in China.

I don’t think it’ll matter one bit. 

I thought everyone just assumed that to do business in any country you have to follow the laws of that country. In China that means the Government has access to everything. Nothing really new. 

3 minutes ago, Mc-ornell said:

In their documentation, Apple states that on the Mac, you need MacOS 11.4 for lossless/high-res lossless (+ a suitable DAC, obviously). Which kind of sucks for me, as my late 2012 Mac mini can’t be upgraded to Big Sur….only as far as 10.15.7. I can play my ALAC CD rips 16/44.1 and my high-res downloads (ALAC 24/92) all part of my iTunes/Apple Music library, thought the Apple MIDI controller makes it awkward. (Was using Bit Perfect but it doesn’t seem to work with Apple Music). So why can’t they just update the Music app in MacOS so I can play Apple Music lossless tracks instead of having to update MacOS to 11.4? And yes, an Apple Connect feature would be nice too. 

Oh wow, that’s not cool. Lossless and high resolution audio don’t require much power and work totally fine on far weaker and older hardware.