IGNORED

Live v recorded

Interesting comparison of live guitar/vocal versus 24/96 recording of the performance. A long video, you can go straight to the track at these times:

48.15.- live performance 

58.00 - played back via MSB Discrete DAC

1.13.23 - played back via Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

1.49.17 - played back via Naim ND555

Sadly the original sounds the most "accurate" (???) to me. The other three (with the MSB as the best in my view) all have their quirks.

The most apparent is the clearness of the guitar in the original.

... which, mind you, also is the loudest ... so beware.

I know, the original is also played through "something". So all should be a hoax to begin with. For example, the original comes with picture. That might do things.

Wat was jumping out for me in the replays was the short flanger in his voice being unnatural. No such thing occurred to me in the original.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

25 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

I know, the original is also played through "something". So all should be a hoax to begin with. For example, the original comes with picture. That might do things.

...it's funny how often things like this are made, and such a fundamental part of the measuring premise is not considered, or is overlooked. Fascinating. 

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

53 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Sadly the original sounds the most "accurate" (???) to me. The other three (with the MSB as the best in my view) all have their quirks.

The most apparent is the clearness of the guitar in the original.

... which, mind you, also is the loudest ... so beware.

Wat was jumping out for me in the replays was the short flanger in his voice being unnatural. No such thing occurred to me in the original.

Ya I think the live sounds different but pretty close considering. IMO the MSB & Naim sounded closest with the Mola Mola sounding a tad distant. Some may think it impossible to make such judgements from a YT video but it does seem to tally with what those present, particulaly the musician, heard. 

A quick listen shows the usual traits of the replay of recordings - the 'live' version has the lift, and life of the real thing; a single pass through a reproduction chain with speakers involved shows the losses; the bits of the sound are nominally in place, but these are the "boring" versions, 😉.

As it has been ever since I started listening seriously to audio - the hardest thing for setups to get right is the sense of intensity in music making - if they try and force 'intensity', it just becomes ugly; because the distortion that is comparatively hard to eliminate is now too obvious; and it descends into becoming unlistenable ...

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

A quick listen shows the usual traits of the replay of recordings - the 'live' version has the lift, and life of the real thing; a single pass through a reproduction chain with speakers involved shows the losses; the bits of the sound are nominally in place, but these are the "boring" versions, 😉.

As it has been ever since I started listening seriously to audio - the hardest thing for setups to get right is the sense of intensity in music making - if they try and force 'intensity', it just becomes ugly; because the distortion that is comparatively hard to eliminate is now too obvious; and it descends into becoming unlistenable ...

Yes but what is causing the losses, I don't hear such degradation when I do simple recordings with my laptop. They recorded using a DAD ADC and Protools DAW. Or maybe the Grimm speakers are at fault although I doubt it. 

Just now, Rexp said:

Yes but what is causing the losses, I don't hear such degradation when I do simple recordings with my laptop. They recorded using a DAD ADC and Protools DAW. Or maybe the Grimm speakers are at fault although I doubt it. 

My hunch would be the Grimm speakers area of the chain - other sessions where these speakers were compared to other units, I found them to be lacking.

What's the adc used and filter used in the adc (if filter swapping is possible)?

Also looks like recording is in mono but played back in stereo. Maybe that's not the word to use, I just am curious if a single speaker is placed at the position of the singer and experiment repeated again.

2 hours ago, manueljenkin said:

What's the adc used and filter used in the adc (if filter swapping is possible)?

Also looks like recording is in mono but played back in stereo. Maybe that's not the word to use, I just am curious if a single speaker is placed at the position of the singer and experiment repeated again.

They said they used a stereo mic set up so strange its mono, ADC is by DAD, dont know model/filter. 

What is being used to record the youtube video, the live performance?    Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

1 hour ago, Rexp said:

They mentioned using a DPA vocal mic and I think a Schoeps mic. 

Thanks.  Do you know whether the actual recording was digital to get onto youtube, or can you do an analogue recording of a live concert to get onto youtube.  If it is digital, would it be hirez, like 192/24 PCM or 256 DSD, or something lower, hopefully above 44/16.  If it is lower, then wouldn't that affect both the live recording and any digital recordings that are played back and recorded through the youtube video?  Or am I missing something?   I don't know anything about doing youtube recordings.   Thanks,  Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

10 minutes ago, astrotoy said:

Thanks.  Do you know whether the actual recording was digital to get onto youtube, or can you do an analogue recording of a live concert to get onto youtube.  If it is digital, would it be hirez, like 192/24 PCM or 256 DSD, or something lower, hopefully above 44/16.  If it is lower, then wouldn't that affect both the live recording and any digital recordings that are played back and recorded through the youtube video?  Or am I missing something?   I don't know anything about doing youtube recordings.   Thanks,  Larry

This was digital (24/96) it has to be down coverted to 126 kbps AAC to get it on to Youtube so we are only hearing a glimpse of what was heard in the studio. 

11 hours ago, Rexp said:

This was digital (24/96) it has to be down coverted to 126 kbps AAC to get it on to Youtube so we are only hearing a glimpse of what was heard in the studio. 

Thanks for the clarification and explanation.   Larry