Jump to content

Your favorite labels on Qobuz


Recommended Posts

What are some of your favorite lables available on Qobuz ?

 

As a jazz fan, I was glad to find that Storyville, for example, has a large catalog on Qobuz. Unfortunately, I don't see how to link to a label's page on the Qobuz streaming site, so here's the label's own website: https://www.storyvillerecords.com/

Another interesting label is the French label Fremeaux: https://www.fremeaux.com/index.php

There are surely many others - I've started using Qobuz recently and have not explored much, yet.

 

What are some of your favorite labels ?

 

my blog

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's another good one: https://play.qobuz.com/label/115383

 

Its too bad that Qobuz does not provide more info on labels, as some of them are a little "dubious". But this one is legit.

 

Enterplanetary Koncepts. Specialized in Sun Ra re-issues. I had bought some of their albums before, on BandCamp I believe, but never bothered to find out who was behind the label. Looking for info I found this, here: http://www.furious.com/perfect/sunraguide.html

 

 

"Over a hundred years since he first arrived on Planet Earth and 21 years since he made his final departure, Sun Ra's profile in the musical market-place has never been higher, the flow of releases which were once a hard-to-find trickle, have now swelled into a glistening, other-worldly torrent which, thanks to a long overdue official takeover, has just shot into the cosmos.

 

It has taken this long for the vast mass of Ra archive recordings to be approached with the focus, quality and knowledge suitable for one of the most important musical innovators of the last century. Painstakingly undertaken by Sun Ra Music Archive director Michael D. Anderson and writer, music historian and DJ Irwin Chusid, the Mastered for iTunes project got under way in May to mark what would have been Sun Ra's one hundredth birthday with a staggeringly colossal undertaking which affords his immense legacy its rightful place in the digital age. The pair have set up the Enterplanetary Koncepts label to release 24-bit transfers from the original analog tapes which Anderson has been archiving since he played drums with the Arkestra and was appointed tape librarian by Ra in the late '70's.

 

In a recent interview at Sun Ra Arkive, Chusid explained how Anderson was contacted in January by an iTunes editor who happened to be a Sun Ra fan dissatisfied by the number of albums available which seemed to be of "dubious legitimacy and sub-par sound. He wanted to find the best quality available recordings, heard about Michael's tape archive, and dropped him a note. I was really a novice about Sun Ra; a casual listener only, not an authority. But I'm friends with Michael and an iTunes direct content provider, so he asked me to administer the process.

 

"However, as Michael and I realized what an enormous job it was, I took on greater responsibility, including scanning and restoring vintage LP covers, writing and formatting the PDF booklets, and undertaking a lot of the digital audio restoration. I had a four month crash course in Sun Ra. Listened to everything, read everything, sought out the opinions of those who had been exploring Sun Ra for decades. I absorbed it all."

 

Crucially, in the light of rampant past exploitations, the project is being undertaken under licence from Sun Ra LLC, owned by his heirs. The original tapes have been restored and corrected, enough dirt and glitches removed to boost sound quality but keeping the funk and soul intact, tracks reinstated to full length with some in stereo for the first time.

 

"These are source tapes, not one or two generations a way from source," explains Chusid, who adds "that said, many of them are far from optimum fidelity. Sun Ra did not record in a Miles Davis studio with a Dave Brubeck budget. Some of these sessions used only two mics for a large ensemble. There are room noises, and the sound of musicians bumping into things. You've heard of Garage Rock? This is Garage Jazz. These session tapes contain many alternate, unreleased versions and an abundance of never-released material."

 

Most excitingly, there are large chunks of previously unheard music in the 21 albums which kicked off the mission in May, each accompanied by Chusid's astute notes. Sun Ra has never sounded more vibrant or natural, the quality sometimes enough to place the listener in the middle of a full-bore Arkestral space chord or floating in the eerie tranquility of deep space. For perhaps befuddled newcomers, the Archive has compiled then thematic collections under titles such as 'Outer Space,' 'Hard Bop' and 'Exotica' to make up a helpful Explore the Cosmos series.

my blog

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's another interesting small label for Jazz aficionados - Uptown Jazzhttps://play.qobuz.com/label/82326

Background article on the label: https://www.allaboutjazz.com/uptown-records-by-donald-elfman.php

 

They have lots of interesting albums. Listening to this right now: https://play.qobuz.com/album/n7taz2tyt818b

Here's a good article by Noal Cohen on that album, and Lucky Thompson: https://attictoys.com/lucky-thompson-new-york-city-1964-1965/

 

This one is really interesting as well: https://play.qobuz.com/album/ixzly8wq5p7dc. Dupree Bolton was rarely recorded (see here: http://www.jazzarcheology.com/artists/dupree_bolton.pdf). This is his last known recording, playing with a prison band while he was serving time.

 

They don't have many albums, but most of them are "originals" with a lot of previously unavailable tracks.

my blog

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adding to my last posts. It's nice to see with these two last examples, that behind these small labels are passionate collectors bringing valuable recordings back to digital formats. There is still out there a huge stock of recordings which are either only available on rare LPs or stored away on tape in archives and have never been released. 

 

On the other hand, there are so many dubious labels available on streaming services, that simply repackage existing recordings, often with poor copies, and no editorial content.

 

I wish Qobuz had some kind of "label rating".  At least an "ignore" button for labels would be nice. 

my blog

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hopkins said:

Adding to my last posts. It's nice to see with these two last examples, that behind these small labels are passionate collectors bringing valuable recordings back to digital formats. There is still out there a huge stock of recordings which are either only available on rare LPs or stored away on tape in archives and have never been released. 

 

On the other hand, there are so many dubious labels available on streaming services, that simply repackage existing recordings, often with poor copies, and no editorial content.

 

I wish Qobuz had some kind of "label rating".  At least an "ignore" button for labels would be nice. 

 

Yes, Qobuz holds dubious labels. Is that a bad thing or a good thing? For example, the Florestan Trio recorded a wonderful performance of Schubert's piano trios for Hyperion. For some reason the Hyperion content is not available on Qobuz. But there is this recording, under some obscure label without original cover. Seems better this way than none at all?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

 

Yes, Qobuz holds dubious labels. Is that a bad thing or a good thing? For example, the Florestan Trio recorded a wonderful performance of Schubert's piano trios for Hyperion. For some reason the Hyperion content is not available on Qobuz. But there is this recording, under some obscure label without original cover. Seems better this way than none at all?

 

Its a good thing to have background information on these labels, then you can decide for yourself.

my blog

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To illustrate my point, I found also an interesting recording that only seems to be available on LP: https://play.qobuz.com/album/xfflybbm694oc.  The original LP here: https://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Hodges-And-His-Friends-At-Buckminster-Square/release/7927537

 

The label, Squatty Roo Records, seems dodgy. Makes me wonder whether the "crap" sound is the result of the poor quality of their work, or whether the original tape is that bad.

 

my blog

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Contrary to a recent post.  It is our nature to actively and enthusiastically seek out and promote what we enjoy. 

 

One of the bigger lessons in streaming/sales availability is if you find something out of the ordinary available, BUY!  Two seconds later it could revert forever back into unattainability in any format.  Of course listen first to assure quality.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2021 at 10:41 PM, AnotherSpin said:

 

 For some reason the Hyperion content is not available on Qobuz.

Hyperion don't offer streaming with any of the services, and are a purchase only label. Nothing to do with Qobuz. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Hyperion don't offer streaming with any of the services, and are a purchase only label. Nothing to do with Qobuz. 

 

Did I say it has anything to do with Qobuz?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rando said:

Contrary to a recent post.  It is our nature to actively and enthusiastically seek out and promote what we enjoy. 

 

One of the bigger lessons in streaming/sales availability is if you find something out of the ordinary available, BUY!  Two seconds later it could revert forever back into unattainability in any format.  Of course listen first to assure quality.    

 

What you choose to do (stream or buy) is not really the point of the thread. 

my blog

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are old!  OK, I am too, haha.

 

More seriously, labels are kind of yesterday's curators, and are hugely expensive for artists.  Streaming is tough enough, but many labels take the majority of the royalties.  A much better deal for many artists today is to release independently, and rely on word of mouth, playlists, and recommendations from the streaming services themselves.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

 

Did I say it has anything to do with Qobuz?

 

Nope, but you did say 'for some reason' so clarifying that it isn't Qobuz. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

You guys are old!  OK, I am too, haha.

 

More seriously, labels are kind of yesterday's curators, and are hugely expensive for artists.  Streaming is tough enough, but many labels take the majority of the royalties.  A much better deal for many artists today is to release independently, and rely on word of mouth, playlists, and recommendations from the streaming services themselves.

 

 

Point taken, but I listen mostly to yesterday's music 😁

 

For "new" music you don't face the problem of having to sort through many "re-issues", many of which have dubious contents, no documentation whatsoever, and probably pay no royalties either. 

 

 

my blog

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

Nope, but you did say 'for some reason' so clarifying that it isn't Qobuz. 

 

This fact has long been known, and has been mentioned here on the forum more than once. Hyperion does not want to make its archives available for streaming, and it is certainly not because of Qobuz. I don't quite understand what your comment was about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's another interesting label, Reservoir Musichttps://play.qobuz.com/label/192609 

 

You can read about it here: https://www.stereophile.com/content/reservoir-story

The article has some interesting bits about the founder's association with Rudy Van Gelder, and some discussions about the "Gelder" sound.

Read about this myself on another forum specialized in Jazz.

my blog

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Another interesting label - Drive Archive:   https://play.qobuz.com/label/138254

There are a number of relatively rare recordings (some may have been reissued since). A few good ones:

 

- Coleman Hawkins 1955 session:  https://play.qobuz.com/album/hn8065sjci15b

- Jack Teagarden 1954 session (with Lucky Thompson) : https://play.qobuz.com/album/hhfs64uo1ibjb

- Don Redman 1957 session (with Coleman Hawkins on a few tracks): https://play.qobuz.com/album/iyxpai55kq7nb

- Sarah Vaughan 1940s Musicraft recordings: https://play.qobuz.com/album/z2urffdvx8iac

my blog

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Favourite labels I’ve largely “discovered” via Qobuz or Tidal are Exton (virtually impossible to buy for sensible money in UK), CPO and Onyx.  Qobuz favourites that predate streaming would include Chandos, Lyrita and Dutton.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

This has been mentioned before, but it should also be noted that some labels that are not included in Qobuz are still selectively represented under no-name releases. For example, a wonderful recording of Schubert's piano trio performed by the Florestan Trio (originally on Hyperion). Of course, I'd prefer the original edition, but if that's not possible yet...

 

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 16.58.18.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Music distribution through streaming services is 

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

This has been mentioned before, but it should also be noted that some labels that are not included in Qobuz are still selectively represented under no-name releases. For example, a wonderful recording of Schubert's piano trio performed by the Florestan Trio (originally on Hyperion). Of course, I'd prefer the original edition, but if that's not possible yet...

 

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 16.58.18.png

 

I looked it up and the label for this album is "Reader's Digest Music" ! 

 

https://play.qobuz.com/label/5675

 

I was not aware that the Reader's Digest was still in existence.  https://www.readersdigest.co.uk/about-us

 

 

my blog

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...