IGNORED

DIY Ethernet Cable

The problem is to match the characteristic impedance of 100 Ohm.

Therefore I ordered single twisted pair with exactly 100 Ohm.

I have also produced a DIY cable with solid twisted pair 23AWG copper from a horizontal cat 6 cable with the same result.

Best resolution and details.

I'm glad not to be alone with this phenomenon - in most forums, I'm being labeled as crazy 

If you combine this kind of cable with Ethernet Isolator you get incredible details, separation and 3D holographic.

2 minutes ago, TomJ said:

I'm glad not to be alone with this phenomenon - in most forums, I'm being labeled as crazy

You are getting push back because you aren't willing to admit that expectation bias may be at work. I did a blind test with someone that had a cryo-treated, Telegartner terminated, cable, vs $12 cable from Amazon using their Tidal account. What the cable owner didn't realize is that Tidal will cache entire tracks. He had 300Mbit internet service. He put on his favorite piano track that was ~11 minutes long. I waited 30 seconds and pulled the cable out and showed him that the entire song was stored locally and that you could even pause/play/ff/rr.  Many have no idea how data works.

Once they they couldn't see what was going on, they went from 100% 'correct' sighted listening, to only getting their $500 custom cable correct 40% of the time.

See this video as an example of how it might be done:

2 minutes ago, plissken said:

You are getting push back because you aren't willing to admit that expectation bias may be at work. I did a blind test with someone that had a cryo-treated, Telegartner terminated, cable, vs $12 cable from Amazon using their Tidal account. What the cable owner didn't realize is that Tidal will cache entire tracks. He had 300Mbit internet service. He put on his favorite piano track that was ~11 minutes long. I waited 30 seconds and pulled the cable out and showed him that the entire song was stored locally and that you could even pause/play/ff/rr.  Many have no idea how data works.

Once they they couldn't see what was going on, they went from 100% 'correct' sighted listening, to only getting their $500 custom cable correct 40% of the time.

See this video as an example of how it might be done:

I changed the ethernet cable while music playing. of course there is buffer and computer stıoes some of data. when I play a few songs from a minute ago I started to recognize positive differences. just a vocal and violin will be enough to understand whats happening. 

3 minutes ago, recepky said:

where do you find 100 ohm twisted pairs?

which ethernet isolator do you use?

should I place the isolator just before the computer or just after the switch?

Its this cable: https://www.gore.com/resources/shielded-twisted-pair-cables-aircraft-drawing-dxn2602

Its hard to get, because it is for military use.

I used this Isolator: https://www.amazon.de/DeLock-62619-DrNetzteilucker-grau/dp/B00WZ3QHVQ

There are also medical grade isolators on the market which some use, but these are not on the level regarding filtering as the Delock.

Meanwhile i built myself an own Isolator out of ethernet magnetics.

The Isolator should be placed just before the end device (Streaming bridge or computer).

9 minutes ago, plissken said:

As I said already, its not about the data integrity and jitter of ethernet signal, but about noise.

But this discussion is senseless. 

5 minutes ago, recepky said:

I changed the ethernet cable while music playing. of course there is buffer and computer stıoes some of data. when I play a few songs from a minute ago I started to recognize positive differences. just a vocal and violin will be enough to understand whats happening. 

Can you reword this if possible? I don't want to assume that you are saying that the buffered data is somehow different depending on the cable that was used to fill the buffer.

7 minutes ago, TomJ said:

As I said already, its not about the data integrity and jitter of ethernet signal, but about noise.

But this discussion is senseless. 

No the discussion isn't senseless. Noise is an immutable, objective, verifiable property.

Extrapolating this further: Noise can only be present when the cable it inserted correct?  Ergo if I have a properly designed system, using a service like Tidal, then at the very least, someone should be able to tell when the cable is connected/disconnected while playback occurs regardless of the amount of buffering.

Taking it even one step further: This should also affect playback of files on local storage? Since it is noise creeping into the system regardless of music sourced over the wire or even direct attached storage?

6 minutes ago, plissken said:

Can you reword this if possible? I don't want to assume that you are saying that the buffered data is somehow different depending on the cable that was used to fill the buffer.

I really can not explain whats happening by engineering aspects. If somebody has curiosity He must be try it by himself to hear. In the world of audiophile anything can be true or false depending on your system speakers ears etc. 

1 minute ago, recepky said:

I really can not explain whats happening by engineering aspects. If somebody has curiosity He must be try it by himself to hear. In the world of audiophile anything can be true or false depending on your system speakers ears etc. 

I have tried a few permutations:

EtherRegen vs my Aruba 2530, a $330 WW Starlight 12' Ethernet Cable vs ~300' generic Hypertek Cat5E.  I even posted a view tracks captured to my ADC where I plugged and unplugged the network cable during playback, posted links to the files at AS and no one could pick when any of the changes were made. Not the # of changes or when the change was made.

5 minutes ago, plissken said:

I have tried a few permutations:

EtherRegen vs my Aruba 2530, a $330 WW Starlight 12' Ethernet Cable vs ~300' generic Hypertek Cat5E.  I even posted a view tracks captured to my ADC where I plugged and unplugged the network cable during playback, posted links to the files at AS and no one could pick when any of the changes were made. Not the # of changes or when the change was made

So why are you using a 200$ switch, when a 20$ Netgear will also do the job?

17 minutes ago, TomJ said:

So why are you using a 200$ switch, when a 20$ Netgear will also do the job?

I'm a dual CCNP (Route/Switch and Collaboration) and ACEP. I have a rack full of lab gear: Aruba 2530's, Aruba 3810's, Aruba Mobility Controller 7210, Aruba Mobility Master 1K, Cisco Nexus 4K's, Cisco 3850X, 2960's, 2630's, ASA's, Cisco Wireless Controller, Fortigate FW's. So all in my rack I have about $100,000 retail worth of lab gear.  I'm able to purchase not for resale at significant discounts due to partner status with various vendors. I run Eve-NG also but sometimes you just need real gear.

Servers are HPE Proliant Gen7/Gen8 360DL's and 380 with 120GB RAM and 32 core XEON with SSD RAID5. Crapload of broadcom NIC's.

For my home network (production) it's a $60 ebay Netgear GSM7352S v2. It's a fully managed L3 switch and it's the one I did a 3 part tutorial series on subnet design for home use that I posted at AS. It also has SFP and SFP+.

Server is a Dell R620 with 64GB RAM and 4 port nic with two ports running a VM of PFSense for firewall.

Outside of all the networking I'm a DIY speaker builder and been doing that just as long as I have been doing the tech stuff. My first speaker build was some Karlson 1/4 wave folded horns with a Crown stack to drive them.

On 6/1/2021 at 6:03 PM, recepky said:

no each twisted pair is seperate from each other. 4 pairs. each pair has own shield.

Each twisted pair of Belden cable is bonded. The individual twisted pairs of Cat7 are foil shielded to minimize crosstalk.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

8 hours ago, jabbr said:

Each twisted pair of Belden cable is bonded. The individual twisted pairs of Cat7 are foil shielded to minimize crosstalk.

Then I have fake belden cable or I need cut longer jacket and inspect the cable. This evening I will try to make it