Jump to content

Recommended Posts

As a dual CCNP and ACEP (Cisco and HPE Aruba) I know a ton about networking and structured cabling.

 

Unfortunately when I tell you that the people making these recommendations have no idea what they are talking about it starts up a pages long thread were engineering outfits like Texas Instruments and Siemons, with heavily instrumented papers, showing what is going on with Data cabling are somehow ignored.

 

My advice is get UTP CAT5e from Panduit or Tripplite and to ignore the people giving you this advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

'Unfortunately when I tell you that the people making these recommendations have now idea what they are talking about it starts up a pages long thread were engineering outfits like Texas Instruments Siemons with heavily instrumented papers showing what is going on with Data cabling are somehow ignored.' 

 

I wholeheartedly agree with @plissken

 

or ask Belden themselves. Galen Garis is now retired from Belden but had a hand in the design of nearly all Belden cables including Ethernet over the past 35 years. He's quite accessible on PS Audio forum if you'd like to learn from the horse's mouth.

 

P.S. I don't hold any certifications, those on my staff do, but I manage a large corporate Cisco network with HP Aruba wireless. We use and recommend Belden bonded cables. They resist change keeping the pairs in perfect position. The installers don't like the extra work to terminate but when you build a network to last 30 years+ it matters. Plenum cables have PTFE by code. If it burns you don't want the toxic PVC jacket getting into the HVAC system. The data doesn't care about the insulation type.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I anyone wants to make their own state of the art Ethernet cables, then Belden REVConnect is as good as you (or anyone for that matter) can do. The only copper cables that are better than these are the ones they are smoking 🤷‍♂️

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We just completed a large conference center build with REVConnect. With Covid I've never been to the site but I can see the lack of errors with the system ;).

 

I know the installers really liked the speed or time savings terminating them. That's how Belden sold it as a time saver. Time is money in the structure cable game. I believe one need a tool though which unless you need a bunch of cables I would just buy measured patch from Blue Jeans and call it a day.

 

I intended to mention to the OP, all he's done is completely violate the Ethernet spec and yet to its robustness it still works! At least over the short distances in a house or patch cable.

 

Don't use shielded cable unless you're in a noisy industrial environment. It's a waste otherwise and few it any home installations are going to be properly grounded network systems anyway. The shield only serves as a potential noise conduit between two devices.

 

I prefer bonded 5 (or 5e) UTP for home use with measurements to ensure it meets spec. A 'better' cable can do no better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lpost said:

I believe one need a tool though which unless you need a bunch of cables I would just buy measured patch from Blue Jeans and call it a day.

 

I know Tripplite guarantees their patch to pass ISO spec.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to know and have another source.  When I started in networking in the late 80s I had to deal with vampire taps (remember those?), 10base2 'cheapernet' and AppleTalk over 2 wire or was it 4 wire telephone line cord all in the same buildings, all 3 types! I still work for the same company all these years later. We've not gone beyond dual 10Gbit uplinks as we simply don't require it but it's nice to know 40G and 100G is now readily available and 400G is possible. With the exception of upsampling 192k-24bit PCM to even higher rates we still don't need more than 100Mb/s for audio and even most video.

 

Oh how things have improved and in many ways become must simpler.

 

It seems about every 10 years we replace our network core because they approach EOL. End of the month a pair of Nexus 7k are being replaced with a pair of 9606R. The Nexus replaced a pair of Cat6513 with 13 years service and before that a 10M Cisco router running in bridge mode! Silliness.

 

Be safe out there and don't hack Ethernet cables for no good reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lpost said:

I intended to mention to the OP, all he's done is completely violate the Ethernet spec and yet to its robustness it still works! At least over the short distances in a house or patch cable.

 

Need to mention that if you force your interface to 100Mbit you are only on two pair... No need for modifying the cable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lpost said:

We just completed a large conference center build with REVConnect. With Covid I've never been to the site but I can see the lack of errors with the system ;).

 

I know the installers really liked the speed or time savings terminating them. That's how Belden sold it as a time saver. Time is money in the structure cable game. I believe one need a tool though which unless you need a bunch of cables I would just buy measured patch from Blue Jeans and call it a day.

 

 

I use BJC and don't argue with that advice. I've personally migrated to fiberoptic ... for the sake of disussion, when making your own  Ethernet cables, Belden bonded is the way to go -- you ***can't*** roll your own cable that comes close, and if you don't understand it, then let's just forget talking (not you @lpost but anyone reading). If anyone is concerned about RF/EMI then it should be obvious that fiberoptic has an inherent benefit, yet for the sake of discussion here, the termination is the "weak area" of Ethernet cables ... so you have to untwist carefully etc ... fine for 1Gbe but 10Gbe is much more sensitive to impedance mismatch at the connector. REVConnect is a brilliant solution. and yeah it's quick too.

 

*** of course if you are smoking your own hand rolled cables and listening to Pink Floyd, its all good too!

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lpost said:

Good to know and have another source.  When I started in networking in the late 80s I had to deal with vampire taps (remember those?), 10base2 'cheapernet' and AppleTalk over 2 wire or was it 4 wire telephone line cord all in the same buildings, all 3 types! I still work for the same company all these years later. We've not gone beyond dual 10Gbit uplinks as we simply don't require it but it's nice to know 40G and 100G is now readily available and 400G is possible. With the exception of upsampling 192k-24bit PCM to even higher rates we still don't need more than 100Mb/s for audio and even most video.

 

Oh how things have improved and in many ways become must simpler.

 

It seems about every 10 years we replace our network core because they approach EOL. End of the month a pair of Nexus 7k are being replaced with a pair of 9606R. The Nexus replaced a pair of Cat6513 with 13 years service and before that a 10M Cisco router running in bridge mode! Silliness.

 

Be safe out there and don't hack Ethernet cables for no good reason.

 

Yep, thinnet over RG59. I also did Appletalk and hand crimped many 110 ohm resistor into an RJ11 for appletalk termination.

 

Novell, Banyan Vines, DECNet, LanTastic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried FO in my setup a number of times, as I have access to many flavors of patch and SFP. Depending on the implementation, I've found the PCI-e NIC to make more noise than the fiber link removed. Not needing the RF immunity I didn't hunt for 'better cards' or transceivers and remain completely happy with copper.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

thanks for your recommendations.

 

But regarding Ethernet cable and sound I think it is not about data integrity.

I was longtime a believer that if once the data arrives without error caused by jitter or something else, the sound could bot be effected.

But I learned that Ethernet cable can for sure effect the sound, maybe in the same way or  maybe more than analoge cable.

I think it depends on geometry and material. But this is very cloudy and one is groping in the dark. Maybe it has something to do how the cable handles the frequencies and produces itself HF noise which affect then the process aof converting digital to analog in the DAC.

 

I think ethernet engineers cant help here - they will think I'm crazy. 

All I can say is, that the stripped 2x2 TP cable without isolation are the most resolving i heard so far.

If you have an old patchcord, just give it a try - remove the overall isolation and cut the unused wires.

 

As I know the isolation (e.g. PTFE) of the wire in the analoge sector makes a difference, maybe this is also valid for Ethernet cable.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, plissken said:

Novell, Banyan Vines, DECNet, LanTastic.

Wow, I haven't thought about some of these names in years. Novell 2.15c, ah the good ol' days. Novell's directory from 1995 still beats MS AD 2019 in features but that war has long since been lost. Reminds me of Beta vs. VHS. The better doesn't always win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TomJ said:

I think cant help here - they will think I'm crazy. 

All I can say is, that the stripped 2x2 TP cable without isolation are the most resolving i heard so far.

If you have an old patchcord, just give it a try - remove the overall isolation and cut the unused wires.

 

As I know the isolation (e.g. PTFE) of the wire in the analoge sector makes a difference, maybe this is also valid for Ethernet cable.

 

 

 

 

Enjoy the experimentation, it's a hobby and since it's low voltage no one dies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lpost said:

Enjoy the experimentation, it's a hobby and since it's low voltage no one dies.

Yes, thats what I will do.

Problem with Belden Plenum cable is, I have to order it in the US with high shipping cost.

Meanwhile I have also an offer for Gore Ethernet cable made for airforce use - but 150€ per meter.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lpost said:

but I manage a large corporate Cisco network with HP Aruba wireless.

 

Are you getting hammered by the chip shortage yet? We are having issues with anything with an SFP cage. We are forecasted out till June now on some SKU's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, got lucky and managed to get the Cisco order fulfilled without issue. Lead time was 3 months but I didn't care at all. I expect the shortages will get worse.

 

Last year, cable was in short supply. Belden nearly screwed us saying they couldn't supply more than have the bonded pair they had committed to provide. In the end, they 'found' it. Almost had a half and half install.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Belden Bonded technology, there is a good demonstration how this improves the impedance stability on youtube: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lpost said:

That is Galen Garis, the man.

Ok, will register on PS Audio and try to contact the master....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...