IGNORED

Tutorial for Setting up XXhighend

Note: Keep this thread only for discussing different settings and computer hardware and DAC buffer/filter configurations, and preferably avoid any technical/performance discussion. Opinions/impressions of filter choices may be fine.

The choice of filters recommended above are in relation to usage with XXhighend and not related to any global preference for all scenarios.

Thanks for this @manueljenkin.  One thing I’m not clear on is that you are setting buffer size using the ASIO control panel for  your DAC, but AFAIK XXHE doesn’t use ASIO (On the other hand I’ve always wondered how you are supposed to know buffer size so it would be good to learn)

Manuel, thank you for this enormous effort.

I will try to jump in where it deems needed, and I will already do so because you asked me to. I will be happy to do so.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

45 minutes ago, Norton said:

Thanks for this @manueljenkin.  One thing I’m not clear on is that you are setting buffer size using the ASIO control panel for  your DAC, but AFAIK XXHE doesn’t use ASIO (On the other hand I’ve always wondered how you are supposed to know buffer size so it would be good to learn)

I don't think the control panel settings for the DAC works exclusive to asio. A buffer will be needed for asynchronous mode audio, be it asio, wasapi, kernel streaming or ALSA. So I think that should be fine.

I am unsure fully how USB audio protocol works but I believe there will be specific frames sent during enumeration (or before song playback) that can configure the settings for buffer, digital volume control, filter selection, clock select (if any, to match with sampling frequency multiple) etc. Buffer settings made in the dac control panel likely refers to the buffer size to be used in the dac (of course it'll be finite, some dacs will have only 1024, some dacs lesser, some 32768, etc). I am not sure if there are ways to bypass this and set the buffer size through specific playback software in windows. In Linux you can configure these buffer settings in ALSA and if you can handle alsa directly through software then you should be able to configure it on the fly. Maybe that's what kernel streaming does too, and if that's the case then the settings in the Dac control panel will not affect how xxhighend handles the data. However, it will be worthy to check settings to ensure that you don't insert a setting in xxhighend more than what the dac can take (Otherwise it cause buffer overrun I think). @PeterSt Does Kernel Streaming Buffer size set in xxhighend directly control the buffer size to be set in the DAC?

The settings for XXhighend refer to the size of the SFS that will be made in the RAM for playback. It will make a chunk that's of (Q1) x (xQ1) x (Device_buffer_size). The internal structure of this single SFS, I think it is a series of Q1 blocks each of size (xQ1) x (Device_buffer_size). @PeterSt can confirm and correct if there is any mistake.

The sequence I think follows this way: system storage (SSD/hdd/RAMdisk) -> RAM buffer (set in xxhighend settings) -> Dac buffer (set in dac control panel). 

5 minutes ago, manueljenkin said:

RAM buffer (set in xxhighend settings)

FYI: It is not a good idea to make up your own phenomena, like you do there. All these "buffers" (etc. etc.) already have been given names, and if you'd be able to scroll through ALL the Release Notes, you will see how it works and that the naming is correct and consistent.

Device Buffer Size indeed relates to USB *if* you would be using a USB interface. So for example, the USB Buffer Size can be 60MB (yea, you read right) or so. Notice though, that such buffers always resize on the side of the PC (never in the DAC - or they are not addressed by XXHighEnd anyway). This is more tricky when you use WASAPI, because that surely implies a buffer wich cooperates with the DAC (and Yes, Q1 works totally different for WASAPI opposed to for Kernel Streaming). The Device Buffer Size sits in the middle as a "shared" buffer. Anyway, it indeed always is part of the calculation of DevBufSize x Q1 x xQ1. Still Q1 on its own is special and its usage is not linear in WASAPI (it is for KS).

You don't need to know which is which, as you can't control sound with that. You can learn, however, which controls sound in which fashion. It is also good to know that whatever buffer involved, they oscillate with each other. Oscillation can imply a fixed resonance, or a slowly shifting one (program a synthesizer and you know what I'm talking about - tune two oscillators against each other).

XXHighEnd (developer)

9 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

FYI: It is not a good idea to make up your own phenomena, like you do there. All these "buffers" (etc. etc.) already have been given names, and if you'd be able to scroll through ALL the Release Notes, you will see how it works and that the naming is correct and consistent.

Device Buffer Size indeed relates to USB *if* you would be using a USB interface. So for example, the USB Buffer Size can be 60MB (yea, you read right) or so. Notice though, that such buffers always resize on the side of the PC (never in the DAC - or they are not addressed by XXHighEnd anyway). This is more tricky when you use WASAPI, because that surely implies a buffer wich cooperates with the DAC (and Yes, Q1 works totally different for WASAPI opposed to for Kernel Streaming). The Device Buffer Size sits in the middle as a "shared" buffer. Anyway, it indeed always is part of the calculation of DevBufSize x Q1 x xQ1. Still Q1 on its own is special and its usage is not linear in WASAPI (it is for KS).

You don't need to know which is which, as you can't control sound with that. You can learn, however, which controls sound in which fashion. It is also good to know that whatever buffer involved, they oscillate with each other. Oscillation can imply a fixed resonance, or a slowly shifting one (program a synthesizer and you know what I'm talking about - tune two oscillators against each other).

Thank you Peter. I'll correct it in subsequent posts. I'm still learning the intrinsics with respect to buffer management choices.

18 hours ago, manueljenkin said:

WARNING: This tool will require changes to the windows registry (automated) and can sometimes cause instability issues. Use it at your own risk.

Although I an sure that this may happen, I never had a single report from anyone *that* this happens. However, there is a crucial prerequisite: Use the Windows version which XXHighEnd anticipates. This is never beyond W10 version 14393.0. Versions prior to that are always named an anticipated (for W10) but it is useless to name them now because they sound worse anyway.

Moral: Don't attempt any newer version than 14393.0 (and also not an other 14393.x).

The Minimized OS which XXHighEnd is capable to make in real time, explicitly anticipates prior Registry hacks or Changes and it will always revert back to those when you go back from Minimized OS to Normal OS. However, because the self-changes in the Registry are not anticipated on, you may be ensured that the consistent result of what XXHE creates, is not by any standard form. What I am saying is that all XXHE users can communicate with each other over settings, which will not be possible if one has some special hack applied which obviously the others don't know of. And really, nothing is needed because all what's in XXHE is all what can be done (OK, as far as I can tell). An extreme example: Using a "core" Server version is also not needed because in MinOS and Unattended playback, all what is there "is" a Server version (without OS UI etc.). But when Playback stops all reverts to normal (within MinOS which is still that and nothing like Normal OS).

14393.0 can be obtained though me, if needed (sales phasure com).

None of the versions officially supported show stability issues of any kind and you can even do normal office work. However, always *know* that Driver Installation of whatever kind, can only happen in Normal OS mode.

Might one work in MinOS for office work, you will see that your laptop is 10 times faster.

As Manuel advises, it is NOT a good idea to do office work on the Audio PC as such, because it will interfere with stable sound. But that is another matter ... (you will be making your OS thicker again by unnecessary (for audio) installs.

XXHighEnd (developer)

6 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Although I an sure that this may happen, I never had a single report from anyone *that* this happens. However, there is a crucial prerequisite: Use the Windows version which XXHighEnd anticipates. This is never beyond W10 version 14393.0. Versions prior to that are always named an anticipated (for W10) but it is useless to name them now because they sound worse anyway.

Moral: Don't attempt any newer version than 14393.0 (and also not an other 14393.x).

The Minimized OS which XXHighEnd is capable to make in real time, explicitly anticipates prior Registry hacks or Changes and it will always revert back to those when you go back from Minimized OS to Normal OS. However, because the self-changes in the Registry are not anticipated on, you may be ensured that the consistent result of what XXHE creates, is not by any standard form. What I am saying is that all XXHE users can communicate with each other over settings, which will not be possible if one has some special hack applied which obviously the others don't know of. And really, nothing is needed because all what's in XXHE is all what can be done (OK, as far as I can tell). An extreme example: Using a "core" Server version is also not needed because in MinOS and Unattended playback, all what is there "is" a Server version (without OS UI etc.). But when Playback stops all reverts to normal (within MinOS which is still that and nothing like Normal OS).

14393.0 can be obtained though me, if needed (sales phasure com).

Thank you Peter. I made this thread to help first time users who are trying out the demo. Asking to change OS build will be a little too much to give a try for the tool. If they are convinced (which I feel they will), then they can look further into the posts to see which build is most optimal for which xxhighend version.

18 hours ago, manueljenkin said:

After confirming proper playback in normal mode, try Turning ON Unattended Playback (Red) for even lower noise playback.

This is correct. Notice, however, that Unattended Playback shuts off all the Services and processes it can, according to your own settings (in the [S] tab). Now, in Normal OS this takes a relative ages to do because so many Services etc. still run there and they all need to be shut down and be confirmed that they have been shut down indeed before playback commences.

In MinOS most of these services have been shut down natively at boot, and thus now don't take time to shut down. Except for a first time per listening session, it now takes 1-2 seconds only (depending on your settings of what to shut down).

image_2021-05-11_085531.png.65ba4a66b3d0a41b3a0e9aa11f63c9a4.png

Warning : MinOS is only available with a licensed version (72 euros).

And yes, only yesterday I learned that Manuel's observations of XXHighEnd sounding "a best" came from an unlicensed version. Hence most of the SQ improvements can't even be done there.

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

This is correct. Notice, however, that Unattended Playback shuts off all the Services and processes it can, according to your own settings (in the [S] tab). Now, in Normal OS this takes a relative ages to do because so many Services etc. still run there and they all need to be shut down and be confirmed that they have been shut down indeed before playback commences.

In MinOS most of these services have been shut down natively at boot, and thus now don't take time to shut down. Except for a first time per listening session, it now takes 1-2 seconds only (depending on your settings of what to shut down).

image_2021-05-11_085531.png.65ba4a66b3d0a41b3a0e9aa11f63c9a4.png

Warning : MinOS is only available with a licensed version (72 euros).

And yes, only yesterday I learned that Manuel's observations of XXHighEnd sounding "a best" came from an unlicensed version. Hence most of the SQ improvements can't even be done there.

It sounded fantastic even without MinOS. I can only wonder how much better it can get 🤩😍. I'll be sure to try the full version on optimal windows 10 build and update in my other thread.

7 minutes ago, manueljenkin said:

Thank you Peter. I made this thread to help first time users who are trying out the demo. Asking to change OS build will be a little too much to give a try for the tool.

Thank you. Yes.

But it will be more frustrated to end up in a black screen without possibility to escape from that, only because you applied something which apparently was not allowed.  So because you (Manuel) got this working so nicely, you may be the one who knows what to do and what not to do. You should list that.

Notice that this could already be as easy as not going to MinOS, which you can't anyway without license. I really can't tell.

Not using Unattended (where the UI is removed) could also help, but again, I don't know. So hopefully you do ?

XXHighEnd (developer)

6 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Thank you. Yes.

But it will be more frustrated to end up in a black screen without possibility to escape from that, only because you applied something which apparently was not allowed.  So because you (Manuel) got this working so nicely, you may be the one who knows what to do and what not to do. You should list that.

Notice that this could already be as easy as not going to MinOS, which you can't anyway without license. I really can't tell.

Not using Unattended (where the UI is removed) could also help, but again, I don't know. So hopefully you do ?

I just followed the steps I described in the first post of this thread. It has worked well for me and I've tried it again after formatting my system and worked fine again. I also have others who got it running following this method with unattended playback working. I'm not sure what version of windows 10 build each one of us are running but all of them are likely to be above 14393.0

The only glitch I experienced was it removed my windows wallpaper but it's a non issue for me.

image_2021-05-11_090556.thumb.png.eec5a30621449e6218320522ec999a40.png

What you see here is the special "Explorer" made for music files, from version 2.11. I never even explained it over at Phasure and I think I may grab the opportunity to do so over here at A/S, later. For now, however, two things are good to know:

The button where the green arrow points at, has a small icon in the top-right. This means it can be right-clicked and new functionality appears. In this case that will be normal Windows Explorer. And because people might be more convenient with that one ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

Manuel

Great work. I haven't used XXHE for some time now, but this covers all the bases for getting started.

I did find Peter's work provided some very good results, but always found it a bit finicky to get right and a dedicated computer is pretty much eesential given the extent of modifications required.

I have wondered often about revisiting, (haven't used XXHE since before migrating to Windows 10) but not sure if my license would still be valid.

A lot of effort went into your tutorial above, I hope someone finds it helpful.

Mark

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

Mark, if you have a license for 2.xx (introduced in 2015) this would still be valid. And as always, you can re-obtain a Code as much as you want (the license money being refunded right away, or given by other (email) means) without paying.

Peter

Hi Peter

Many thanks for confirming. I'll follow up on the advice at some point.

Regards

Mark

• 1 year later...