IGNORED

Trust your ears

9 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Any and each object, or thought, or feeling appears in our subjective knowing only. There is no other way for us to know it. As such perception is subjective.

Does that mean that objective reality doesn't exist and we shouldn't attempt to know or understand it? You can sit forever in Plato's cave and assume that the shadows you perceive represent the best reality you can hope for, and that you'll never be able to break the chains. Or you can try to break out into the light and work towards seeing the world the way it really is. Your choice.

33 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Exactly. The mind adapts objects according to pre-embedded concepts and habits. This is called an illusion.

At least attempt to struggle to free yourself from the chains. You may be able to see the light. Of course, if you’ve already given up, there is no chance, you’ll see everything as shadows.

11 minutes ago, March Audio said:

I actually think that anotherspin and Summit don't exist.  They are just an illusion.  My mind sort of has pre embedded expectations of stupid stuff on forums. As such can safely be ignored 🤪

Ha! Agreed. It wasn’t me talking. I was channeling Plato, as AnotherSpin apparently asked to talk to him.

3 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

You can give any characteristics you want, no problem. Am I correct in assuming that you can not demonstrate how objects can exist without you knowing about it?

Ive demonstrated it perfectly to myself. Since you only exist in my imagination, I have no inclination to demonstrate it to you ;)

16 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

You have not, it is not possible. But, no worry, I've stopped arguing within my head, and I care even less about arguing with anyone else. Have a nice day.

How do you know it’s not possible? Have you been to my mind? Anything’s possible here, I think on the scale of infinitely many universes and can see all reality as it really is. Prove that this is not true. You can’t do it, because you gave up too early.

10 minutes ago, idiot_savant said:

@pkane2001 - funnily enough, I was collating evidence and proof he was funny, but I accidentally triggered my infinite improbability drive and all was lost…

your friendly neighbourhood idiot 

They don’t make these drives like they used to! Not recoverable, is it?

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

Do I assume correctly that you are referring to this? Harman's How to Listen

Toole published his first speaker research in 1985-6 (years before joining Harman) that indicated that certain measurements of loudspeakers correlated extremely well with subjective preferences of "advanced" listeners. The subjects were given minimal instructions and were not trained before taking the test, AFAIK. For those early studies, they were chosen from among musicians,  sound-recording engineers, and audiophiles.

He later expanded the audience to include students and other "civilians" as well as trained individuals. The result was that with training, the subjects were able to make more consistent choices. Untrained individuals often ranked the same loudspeaker high and then low in the same categories but in different tests, producing less consistent results. 

21 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Before joining Harmon, Floyd Toole was Senior Research Officer of the Acoustics and Signal Processing Group at Canada's National Research Council, where he used the facility's anechoic chamber to measure speakers.

Correct. At Harman he built more elaborate test facilities and ran larger scale studies, but the results of his initial research at NRC withstood the test of time.