IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

Playing with the latest 1.7 version, I noticed that my system is still crashing and that there is some kind of blurring in the right channel, so now and then. In the past I have send the crash information to Audirvana on there request and did some beta testing, but I never received an answer.

On 9/25/2021 at 9:13 AM, jos said:

Hi Jud, thanks for your compassion! I remember (slightly) that I have done this before, but I can try it again. I'm afraid doing this to lose my favorite tracks, or will they persist? I remember that I have to delete certain files, but cannot remember where and how. I also noticed that my CPU load is very high, almost to 100% when I maximize to 44.1/16. With this resolution there are no problems, so perhaps I have to buy a new computer to make 192/24 possible. I am using an iMac late 2013 with SSD en 16GB. For the rest: I am quite happy with AS now, especially the bigger font is nice to have with my eyes!

I reported the high CPU usage on the AS support site and hopefully they will give me some good advice.

• 4 weeks later...

was about to post a picture... you delete your post, so you found where to stop shuffle

was about to post this if you see that this button was on there 😀

308534560_ScreenShot2021-06-27at9_25_28PM.jpg.9b4252a8a816882a9d4274e4beccea52.jpg

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

3 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

was about to post a picture... you delete your post, so you found where to stop shuffle

was about to post this if you see that this button was on there 😀

I was going to post the photo but it's on my remote audio server so I would have to log out....

I now see there is that shuffle button on the top AND the bottom with the play button(s).

Thanks for checking in and sorry for the trouble as I see no delete post option.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I'm still having problems with AS, but fortunately, I got the attention from Audirvana Support. 😇 Testing beta-versions is part of the job now, but sadly, AS is still crashing, stuttering seems to be less of a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jos said:

Tomorrow there will be a new AS version (1.8) that will solve my problems (and perhaps yours too), they say. Thumbs Up for Damien, Antoine and all the others involved!

Thanks to you, @jos for doing the work of testing for the benefit of all of us.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, Mercman said:

I wish Damien would provide a decent iOS remote. Navigating a large local library with the Remote app is torture. I had to go back to Roon even though AS sounds better. 

I can understand your wish but most important in the first place, is a totally flawless working app for all of us, and then, later on, they can add functionality to the remote. In my opinion this is the right way of working, from a logistical point of view if recourses are limited.

3 minutes ago, jos said:

I can understand your wish but most important in the first place, is a totally flawless working app for all of us, and then..., later on...the remote. In my opinion this is the right way of working, from a logistical point of view.

True, the app is far from flawless. The random disconnects of Studio with the opticalRendu is also very frustrating for me. 

But the Remote app is not just a pretty addition to the mix. Why sell people a service that is so severely flawed and expect squeals of delight from the user??

Steve Plaskin

16 minutes ago, Mercman said:

True, the app is far from flawless. The random disconnects of Studio with the opticalRendu is also very frustrating for me. 

But the Remote app is not just a pretty addition to the mix. Why sell people a service that is so severely flawed and expect squeals of delight from the user??

I pity you, that is very frustrating indeed! I assume you did report this on the AS website. I did had some connection problems with the UltraRendu in the past too, so I replaced it with a much cheaper device, the Yamaha NP-S303 and I did't had any problem with the former version of AS anymore. My problems started with new AS. I am sure the remote will grow in time...

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is important as you've rightly identified. 

Roon has grip on this area of the hobby and needs more competition. The better Audirvana Studio gets, the better off we all are and it will make all apps in competition better. 

Fully agreed. That’s exactly why we need to support Audirvana.

3 hours ago, Mercman said:

The fact that DLNA is not as robust a format as Roon's RAAT comes with its consequences.

You’ll find I think pretty uniformly that AS uses standards-compliant rather than proprietary methods, even when this causes grief (for example metadata tagging versus iTunes’ proprietary method, UPnP/DLNA vs. RAAT or NAA). I assume standards compliance is something Damien feels is quite important. (I do too - making something different may work better for users of a particular product in the near term, but it further fragments the space and puts no pressure on other vendors to comply so we get maximum interoperability.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So it appears AS if rife with problems, but somehow sounds better than Audirvāna 3.5.50, correct? Roon sounds worse and by some peoples description much worse. Just curious though has anyone here compared the two Audirvana players to HQ Player and if so what was the verdict? 

I'm still one A 3.5.50 and have few if any issues but common sense dictates its only a matter of time this player will become obsolete, sadly. Thanks

4 hours ago, routlaw said:

So it appears AS if rife with problems, but somehow sounds better than Audirvāna 3.5.50, correct? Roon sounds worse and by some peoples description much worse. Just curious though has anyone here compared the two Audirvana players to HQ Player and if so what was the verdict? 

I'm still one A 3.5.50 and have few if any issues but common sense dictates its only a matter of time this player will become obsolete, sadly. Thanks

I think “rife with problems” is a bit strong, but yes, 3.5.x versions were less ambitious and the code base had been worked on far longer, so at least currently it has fewer bugs to work out.

I personally like the sound quality of Audirvāna (particularly Studio with r8brain) very much. I also have HQPlayer since I run a couple of Linux distributions on my computer. Whether you wind up preferring Studio or HQPlayer with your ears on your system is of course purely up to you.

On 11/10/2021 at 3:32 AM, Mercman said:

I wish Damien would provide a decent iOS remote. Navigating a large local library with the Remote app is torture. I had to go back to Roon even though AS sounds better. 

On 11/10/2021 at 6:33 AM, jos said:

I can understand your wish but most important in the first place, is a totally flawless working app for all of us, and then, later on, they can add functionality to the remote. In my opinion this is the right way of working, from a logistical point of view if recourses are limited.

I have been running a 1.8.1 test version for over 5 hours (optical Ethernet feeding copper Ethernet feeding microRendu using UPnP/DLNA), and it has been absolutely rock solid for me.

I think additional feature improvements for the remote are imminent as well.

7 hours ago, Jud said:

I have been running a 1.8.1 test version for over 5 hours (optical Ethernet feeding copper Ethernet feeding microRendu using UPnP/DLNA), and it has been absolutely rock solid for me.

How is the microRendu in combination with Audirvana Studio? Does it work reliably in conjunction with AS? 
I am thinking of replacing my Raspberry Pi 4 with a microRendu or an UltraRendu. Would you say a Rendu improves the sound over a Raspberry Pi running RopieeeXL?

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Br

7 hours ago, Jud said:

Jud,

Since you are using r8brain often, have you experienced issues with upsampling to DSD512? It seems DSD256 was sort of stable in the past (DSD512 almost always crashed after a few seconds) but 1.8 rendered it useless. Upsampling to any PCM rate is fine, while even DSD64 won't work. It will load the track fine but playback will never start. Running AS on Mac Mini M1 (8GB ram) and streaming to a Lumin.