IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

Quick summary of several weeks of frequent usage:

- Overall, the software works well and is mostly stable (on a Mac)

- A lot of minor UI quirks that I'm not really happy about, but hope for future fixes

- Good to finally have the iOS remote apps, which overall work quite well

- SQ is better than ever, particularly since I upgraded my Macbook to the M1 processor

56 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

SQ is better than ever, particularly since I upgraded my Macbook to the M1 processor

This in particular is important to me, and I agree. Listening with the Windows version now; looking forward to getting a new MacBook Pro when Apple puts out the new line and listening to the MacOS version.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, Musicophile said:

I noticed an improvement switching from my old 2017 intel MacBook Pro to a new M1 MacBook Air. 

Now, I obviously didn't do any A/B. And obviously a lot of other things (USB ports, etc.) could have changed between the two machines. 

And it could easily be just expectation bias. 

Well, you answered your own comment with more detailed thought. Your 2017 could have been creating more problems with other programs running or any number of factors with the USB ports being used, etc.

But the upside is you're happier with the new setup using Audirvana Studio so that's cool.

(As an aside, I'm using a 2011 Mac Mini dedicated for my music system and it's great.)

On 6/28/2021 at 2:32 PM, bnbayer said:

Yes, that's my concern. They've announced a price of USD $69.99, but this Canadian price is actually 25% higher - about USD $86.33 -  They appear to be using an exchange rate that is nearly 20 years old.  (https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/daily-exchange-rates/)

Of course, there is no reason for them to even consider the exchange rate. Just make all sales in US Dollars, and let the credit card take care of exchange. Audirvana get their money in US$, and users pay the credit card in their local currency.

(If they are charging tax, they are also wrong. Downloads from foreign companies do not attract tax or duties in Canada.)

Agree completely...have sent an email asking them about this, asking for an explanation for this difference.  Ah, the French...reminds of my days when owning my Devialet monos.  (which sounded fantastic)

Just slightly different and unexplainable.

Question regarding Podcasts....happy to have this feature but, as a novice with A+ (have 3.5 and earlier iterations but moved to ROON a many years ago) not sure how to add Podcasts to the Podcast menu among other UI frustrations. 

Have searched for some favorites and they are showing in the search window but I cannot find a link to move/add/save to any menu on the left side panel.  Any advice would be welcome.  

Is the side listed Podcast menu intended to be the listing location for saved favorites and, if so, how do we build up a list on the Podcast page?

I tried the new version, out of curiosity concerning Qobuz integration. Navigation features on Qobuz collection are nice. Small improvement would be to navigate on labels as well. Also, as pointed out by someone else earlier, the search function results do not clearly distinguish the source (Qobuz vs Local).  

On 7/25/2021 at 9:05 PM, Musicophile said:

Would love to be able to filter research results to local files only. Don't think it's possible at this point.

... can't search local files only in AS? 😳

🙄

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

12 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

I haven’t found a way yet

I wasn't, obviously, blaming it on you 😉

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, bnbayer said:

I haven't had a response to an email (to contact@...) about the pricing. I will subscribe at the announced price, but not for $20 USD higher, which is what they are charging for Canada.

I’m with you on this one. Same problem with an inflated subscription price in Australia.

Mark

47 minutes ago, twist222 said:

I’m with you on this one. Same problem with an inflated subscription price in Australia.

Mark

Sent the same query a few days ago without reply….suspect they may be revisiting this odd pricing regime but who knows.

still find the UI quite buggy but the sound quality is the best so still on the fence about purchase

9 hours ago, wdw said:

Sent the same query a few days ago without reply….suspect they may be revisiting this odd pricing regime but who knows.

still find the UI quite buggy but the sound quality is the best so still on the fence about purchase

Update from A+

Hello Warren,

Your point is obviously a good one, and surprisingly, you are the first one to raise it. So we rechecked our pricing in CAD and you are correct, this is a mistake initially due to a conversion from the European price that included sales tax, of course not intentional believe me. So thanks to you, we are immediately adjusting our CAD price to 89,99 CAD (sales tax excluded) for the yearly subscription.

Can you check in your account if you have the proper price?

Musically yours,

A U D I R V Ā N A    

terrible Audirvana Studio trial's start: it hanged at "Start synching..." local music files, I guess. so I had to force quit (macOS)

my playlist and Qobuz account were there (not sure if all of my playlists)

but on relaunch... both disappeared 🙄

tried uninstalling everything (but the app itself) to no avail

how the... hell do I reset AS and make it start fresh so it re-imports my Plus 3.5 library and "settings/data"?

btw Damien... what about making it so preferences are saved (*written to preferences file*!) when closing preferences instead of when quitting the app? this "issue" (ok: it only is an issue if/when the app crashes) is there since... forever

btw... privileged access for 3.5 owners ends July 31: why? 😶

(given all the bugs/quirks and the long time it took for Remote to be released)

headphones system:

9 hours ago, wdw said:

Your point is obviously a good one, and surprisingly, you are the first one to raise it.

I got the same email today. (I wonder how many of us were "the first one to raise it"?) In any case, we're now at a reasonable exchange rate, at least for today (since rates constantly change).

I'm on the fence as well: I hate the UI, and have lots of issues with the remote, which is the main way I deal with A+. None of the new features are relevant as I don't stream... But the sound really is a big improvement, so it might be worth the upgrade (now CAD 64.99) to see if we really do get regular fixes from the subscription model.