IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

Despite finding a near-completely-faithful porting of all the issues/bugs I had with Audirvana 3.5 into Studio, and working around various library-related issues (Studio wanting to import my 3.5 library, and totally pooching it ... requiring deleting the entire library and rebuilding from scratch) ... I have to pressing questions ...

1. WTF is it doing that it is taking HOURS to do its "Analyzing audio files ..." thing, and what is the end result of that?

2. How does Studio behave in the face of not having an internet connection?

My primary use-case for 3.5 was using my laptop in offline scenarios.  Roon works for 30 days without a connection, with no issues.  What does Studio do?  I'll test it myself when this "analysis" thing finishes (if it ever does), but interested if someone knows the score as things stand ...

16 minutes ago, Jud said:

For my own part, I would like to see whether this would be recognized as a difference by my backup program and result in new uploads of those files. I haven't tested yet. (If so, I wonder if there's a way to tell various backup apps to ignore these changes?)

It will.

If you're lucky, and your backup solution is smart enough, it may only backup the changed blocks rather than the entire file, but it'll be backing up something for every touched file.  File backup systems generally aren't built to be conditional on what has changed, beyond block-level change-detection and deduplication.

8 minutes ago, Jud said:

Would you happen to know if there are ways to ignore this particular change in rclone and Chronosync, the two backup apps I use most often?

Not "out of the box".

It might be possible to use the "External Script" rule-type in Chronosync's inclusion/exclusion rules (Rules | Advanced) to do it, but there would be limitations.  Mostly because your custom script can't see the existing backed-up file to do a comparison against.  Which means all you could do is, for example, say "exclude if this tag is present", rather than "exclude if this tag was newly added", and even then it's fiddly and involved to do.

13 minutes ago, aaron8489 said:

However, there is a bunch of other info in this field such as dynamic range, peak level, ReplayGain, etc.  I certainly did not populate this field, so has Audirvana been writing to my files in 3.5 as well?

If it did, it's an optional thing ... I think you have to turn on volume leveling and/or initiate the "Albums Replay Gain analysis" process, as those tags are used for Replay Gain, and are not present in my files.

Roon is a very different situation.

You can only have one Core logged in at a time, but you can have any number of clients and end-points, all controlling and playing different things, in different places, at the same time.  Just has to be on the same network.

Once license covers all of the devices and users in my home simultaneously.

If I wanted to use Audirvana Studio for just TWO different users, suddenly Roon is cheaper (among other things).