IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

Will Studio incorporate an EQ or do we need to use a host program? This is for Mac. I'm searching for programs now.

While I'm not crazy about a subscription, I understand the need to have continuing revenue stream, especially in a niche market like hi-end audio. $70 is not too much for my music and I already have my music sorted the way I like on Audirvana. However, I do feel like I'm getting nickel & dimed to death with everyone going that route. I could use MS Office on my Mac and Acrobat, but I'm not going to do the subscription thing for as much as I'd use it. Pages/Numbers and PDFpro usually will meet my needs. I'm trying to figure out how to drop DirecTV and still get my auto racing programs without a bunch of other subscriptions adding up Directs costs.... Feels like it never ends.

Server: Mac Mini 3.2GHz-i7, 512Gb - 16Gb macOS 13.x & Audirvana Origin  DAC: Benchmark DAC3B  Linestage: Benchmark LA4  Amp: Benchmark AHB2 x2  Speakers: Revel F328Be

When you're racing... it's Life. Anything that happens before or after, it's just waiting.
- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

51 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:

Audirvana does a great job of hosting Audio Unit (AU) plugins, the Mac specific format (rather than VST format typically used in Windows).

There are a dizzying array of options, from free to huge bucks.  I have several that I have used over the years, but have been using these for quite some time and like them:

https://ddmf.eu/iieqpro-equalizer-plugin/  (min phase)

https://ddmf.eu/lp10-linear-phase-equalizer-plugin/  (linear phase)

Bill

I've been eyeballing Fab Filter https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q-3-equalizer-plug-in. It looks like a powerful program that is not too difficult to use. But it's not cheap either... so still looking. I've been messing around with REW, and while it doesn't offer any export to AU, it at least gives an idea on what needs to be addressed and how much. Plus, the price is more than fair!

Server: Mac Mini 3.2GHz-i7, 512Gb - 16Gb macOS 13.x & Audirvana Origin  DAC: Benchmark DAC3B  Linestage: Benchmark LA4  Amp: Benchmark AHB2 x2  Speakers: Revel F328Be

When you're racing... it's Life. Anything that happens before or after, it's just waiting.
- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

3 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:

Fab Filter is somewhat of a "gold standard;" you couldn't go wrong there.  But yes, expensive.  I have resisted "splurging" on it.

Bill

Nice to know and understand that.  👍

- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

So, when it is "analyzing" and updating data, does it return data to an albums official data? The way I sort my music is by genre, the by Artist (Last Name/First Name) and then by Release Year, not by reissue year. With classical it is by Composer and Title, year had to be deleted. So, if Studio is going to revert to First Name/Last name and change date info, then I won't be adopting Studio.

- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

RE: the it sounds better than v.3.5 comments. The description of 3.5 and of Studio is that it is bit perfect, if so, how/why did the sound change?? Unless one or both are altering the source data, then the sound should be the same. If they are altering the source data with an algorithm or built-in audio unit to "improve the sound" then they are not bit-perfect and stating so is dishonest.  So what is going on? Is the data being altered or is it just hopeful anticipation convincing one that the sound has improved?

- Steve McQueen, Le Mans