IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

Is that true, that Audirvana replaces my tag info (I assume it doesn’t overwrite, just uses its own in the app).  That’s one of my biggest issues with Roon.  At least with Roon, you can override it’s tag info with your own.  Unfortunately, this could be a deal breaker for me.

I can’t seem to be able to create smart playlists in Audirvana Studio. When I click on the funnel icon, the icon with the plus sign to “Add rule” is grayed out. The Add Filter function works, but not smart playlists. I am using an M1 Mac mini.

Does anyone know how to "ungray" the Add Rule icon?

I compared my backup files (cloned with Carbon Copy Cloner) with the files that have been imported into Studio.  I have not done a backup since I started Studio, so the backup files do not include the MusicBrainz tag information.  However, there is a bunch of other info in this field such as dynamic range, peak level, ReplayGain, etc.  I certainly did not populate this field, so has Audirvana been writing to my files in 3.5 as well?

On the whole, I don't think it's worthwhile to compare AS to Roon.  However, I agree with Gonzbull on the use of two computers.  On Roon, I can have the core on one computer and then use any other computer as a remote device.  It's actually not a remote because it's the exact same interface as on the core.  I'm not sure why AS can't emulate that.

Overriding user entered display info from another source is one of my biggest problems with Roon.  However, Roon allows this to be somewhat mitigated (but not completely) by allowing a user to override the data that Roon displays with the user's own data.  If AS is going to go tho Roon route with displaying Musicbrainz info, they should at least have the same option that Roon has.  

I don't really know what they are trying to accomplish with using Musicbrainz data.  I believe most people that have music files learned long ago how to edit and maintain their own metadata.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 4:02 PM, Rugby said:

Not quite True.  IN Roon, you can force your content to be UNIDENTIFIED.  In this case, it will use only your file data. period.  Now, it won't do other stuff that requires it to be Identified. 

In the past, even if an opera recording was unidentified, the titles of the acts/scenes were not always the same as my meta-data.  I think this was changed in 1.8, though, so you are probably correct.

After waiting two days for the analysis (w/o metadata) to complete, I clicked on "Artists" under local.  After about 10 minutes with the spinning wheel of fate, the artists finally came up (I am using a Mac Mini with M1). Then, I tried to scroll down a page, and the spinning wheel was back.  After another ten minutes, I gave up.  I don't have a huge local library (about 100,000 tracks).

I was really looking forward to Studio as an alternative to Roon, but Roon is so far ahead of Studio, I can't see subscribing.  I have used Audirvana for at least 5 years and find the sound to be somewhat better than what I get from Roon, but not that much.  I actually think Audirvana was best before 3.5 (when it was more like JRiver in format and simplicity), but at least 3.5 is usable.

I hope these issues can be worked out.  I'd hate to see Audirvana fail.  Competition is good.