IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

12 hours ago, Gilles said:

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro running A3.5 and High Sierra, can't run a more recent OS on this computer.

I listened to the Facebook Live and did not hear how long they will support 3.5 and which is the oldest OS they will support.

Audirvana's website has also not been updated with their new offering.

Does anyone has a clue?

i've got a 2009 MBP running Catalina.Its pretty straightforward with a software programme that does it all for you.

I have to say I'm loving the new look and the installation went without a hitch except for a whole day of analysing. One problem I do have is the inability to use more than 1 computer. I have AS installed on my listening system as well as in my studio where I use it to reference tracks. AS says I have to disable one to use the other. I never use them at the same time and for close to NZ$100 I hope this changes or its back to 3.5 for me.

33 minutes ago, Torq said:

Roon is a very different situation.

You can only have one Core logged in at a time, but you can have any number of clients and end-points, all controlling and playing different things, in different places, at the same time.  Just has to be on the same network.

Once license covers all of the devices and users in my home simultaneously.

If I wanted to use Audirvana Studio for just TWO different users, suddenly Roon is cheaper (among other things).

Exactly my sentiments. I’m a composer/sound designer and I use a lot of software. This is a first for me where I have to jump through this hoop. 

25 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, it's only using both simultaneously that is prohibited. So a bit of a pain, but not impossible: To switch you go to your account page.

Indeed that is a pain. It seems I have to operate both computers as I have to disable one first then log in and enable the other. It can’t be done from just one machine. 

35 minutes ago, bbosler said:

I don't know if both have to be on (unlike Roon where you can de-authorize a core from any other core ), but if they do you can easily control one computer from another with screen sharing on a Mac or a  VNC program like TeamViewer on any computer. I know not the seamless solution you are looking for, but you can do it from one machine. 

Heya bbosler, thanks for your suggestions. I hope there’s a change to this as I would like to just be able to open the app and start listening without having to do anything like going through an authorisation process and keying in usernames and passwords.  Surely it’s not to much to expect to be able to have the software on 2 computers whilst only using 1 at a time. Anyway sorry for griping and I’ll stop right here. 

Hi all. So Today AS won’t start at all. Says Code Signature Invalid under report. Termination Reason: Namespace Codesigning Code 0x1. 
Also trustd has been running at 100% CPU. I just deleted it and restarted so it could fix itself but it hasn’t. The joys of new software. It’s back to 3.5 for me. 

Well at least you all can get AS to work. It won’t even launch for me after the first initial run with the track analysis.  Codesigning error. I’m on a 2009 MBP with Catalina. 3.5 runs perfectly except for the Tidal glitch but that’s another story. 

3 hours ago, bbosler said:

don't you have to hack the computer to run Catalina?

It seems to irritate people when I say this, but I don't understand how anyone can expect good results limping along with a 12 year old computer. Geekbench  results for a 2009 mac are around 400 single core and multicore 600, a Mac Mini M1 is 1700 and 7400. Time to move on.

I just put together a little video for my son with FinalCut Pro on this machine. Surely it

can play some music. I have newer Macs but this is the machine that I use to play music and host my Plex server. It works with everything I need except AS which worked on absolutely fine for 1 day. 

57 minutes ago, bbosler said:

You are oversimplifying it. You may accuse me of making it too complicated, but the simple fact is that horse power or the fact that other software runs fine is not the issue. Pure Music runs beautifully on these older Minis using a few % of the CPU.  It won't run at all on a Mini with Big Sur. It isn't horsepower, it is the operating system so you run Pure Music on Mojave, which means you can't use a Mini M1 because Mojave won't run on an M1.

So I'm saying, perhaps some of the issues people are having is trying to use 2021 software on a 2011 machine. Perhaps so, perhaps not this time, but as Apple migrates everything to the M1 machines the old Intels will eventually be left behind. As is a lot of "current" Apple software has to run in a translator to function on an M1. Developers are left with the choice of optimizing their software to run on M1 or Intel... it can't do both.

I'll drop it since this seems  off topic,,, but maybe not if some of the issues here are being caused by some incompatibility that isn't obvious. Makes you wonder why somebody has stuttering on a 2013 mac when running advanced processing? Defect in the software or some issue with running 2021 software on an 8 year old machine?

Hope it all works out for you... see ya

Maybe I wasn’t clear before but AS did I run on this machine perfectly for a day. Now it won’t even launch so there is a problem somewhere. AS is able it run on High Sierra which this MBP natively supports so it’s got nothing to do with hardware. 

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Any config changes between the first and second times?

After I installed AS the trustd process started using 100% CPU non stop. I fixed that by deleting 3 files in the Keychain folder which gets replaced immediately by the OS. After that AS won’t launch anymore. I don’t know if they’re related but oh well. 3.5 and all the other programs on this machine work no problem.