IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
6 hours ago, feelingears said:

UPnP/DLNA has been cited as being inferior to other streams, and typically a reviewer of some hardware waves away the software issue by saying, "well I use Roon" so the rest of the review is based on that

… do you really trust reviewers so much …. ? Try it yourself … you could be surprised.

When I was using Audirvana a really big improvement in SQ was when UPNP was introduced giving the option to decouple the dac from the Mac/pc.

i have been using upnp for at least 5 years and never had any issue.

… and plus with AirPlay you loose HiRes.

Stefano

My audio system

@biosailor I’ve been using MPD/Upmpdcli till few months ago, don’t use Audirvana anymore as I prefer Minimserver as library server.

My setup was Minimserver/Bubbleupnpserver-> Lumïn app -> RoPieeeXL-MPD and everything worked without any issue.

Now I’m using HQPlayer Embedded taking advantage of its ability to use UPNP.

My current setup is

Minimserver/Bubbleupnpserver -> Lumïn app -> HQPlayer Embedded -> RoPieeeXL as NAA.

Cannot be sure but I suspect that the UPNP issues with Audirvana are on Audirvana side … RoPieeeXL is in my experience rock solid

Stefano

My audio system

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, steveoat said:

Stefano.  I checked and HQPe is in stop status.  Just tried audirvana again, and same issue.  By the way, I am having a similar issue with JPlay IOS.  HQPe is recognized but when I try to play something, I am getting a similar error.  What's weird is that I am having zero problems with Roon using HQPe

… last time I tried Audirvana (3.5, not Origin or Studio) with HQPe around one year ago and it worked …

About JPlay it works fine with these settings 

74CC1456-DBE4-4E35-B84E-56AE89053497.jpeg

Stefano

My audio system

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, davide256 said:

With Audirvarna/HQPe up-sampling  DSD 64 works fine but for DSD128/256  I have to lower the oversampling and modulator settings to avoid

frequent pauses vs what works fine using Linn UPnP control point for HQPe.

The first thing that comes to mind is that Audirvana transcode to wav before sending the file to UPNP renderer then there could be a throughput issue depending on which kind of Ethernet cable you’re using (cat5/6/6a).

Second thing is where Audirvana is running on (Windows or macOS) and what cpu is on that pc.

Third, Audirvana is quite heavy on cpu and takes a long time indexing the library, was this process ended before you tried to play to HQPe?

Finally, what pc are you running HQPe on and are you using HQPlayer OS or Ubuntu/HQPlayer?

I’ve tried in the past this configuration running Audirvana (3.5.x) on my MacBook Pro i7/16GB ram late 2011 and didn’t find any issue with HQPe, it works fine like using Minimserver/Bubbleupnpserver -> Linn/Lumïn app -> HQPe

Stefano

My audio system

24 minutes ago, davide256 said:

The HQPe OS machine is admittedly a little under-powered, an 11i3 NUC

I run HQPe OS on a very similar pc, its a Nuc10i3 with 16GB ram and I can do

• DSD128 with ECV2 modulators using poly-sinc-gauss-long (1x) and poly-sinc-hires-lp (Nx)
  • up to DSD512 with same filters but ASDM5/7 modulators 

I fired up just few minutes ago Audirvana 3.5 on my MacBook and it is playing now without any issue a 24/48 album to HQPe which is upsampling to DSD512/ASDM5 with the filters I described above. My archive is on thunderbolt connected hdd to the MacBook.

As you have the archive on a nas there could be a throughput issue as Audirvana need to get the file and then send it to HQPe.

Can you try to copy a single album on the same pc where Audirvana is running and see if the issue is still there or not?

… still playing without issues … its the third track …

Stefano

My audio system

6 hours ago, davide256 said:

still can't do poly-sinc-gauss-xla

with any modulator at 128 or faster but can now do all the modulators

with poly-sinc-gauss or poly-sinc-gaus-hires-xx and have been able to do DSD256 with Mojo using the  DSD256 modulators

Gauss-xla is quite heavy anyway I can use it as 1x filter up to DSD128 with ASDM7ECV2.

You can try the -2s family filters, they are lighter than corrispondent filters not ending with -2s, using them I can do DSD256 using ASDM5/7EC.

If you’re not interested in Tidal/Qobuz streaming you could have a look to

• Audirvana Origin - lifetime fee and no annual subscription 
  • JRiver Mediacenter - lifetime fee - runs on Windows/macOS/Linux ( Ubuntu, Debian)

Stefano

My audio system