IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

44 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Personally, I have no issue with the subscription model. It really isn’t that much. I have been using A+ since about 2013 and have really enjoyed it. I really don’t stream much and use it to play my local files. I will check out the trial version for a month. If it sounds better, I am in. The SQ is all that interests me. 

With the Kernel Streaming option for Win 10 users it may sound very good but as I remember from my JPlay days it was very difficult to get working and keep working. Hopefully they have that ironed out. I don't know about the Mac OS version. Please let us know what you think.

56 minutes ago, Jud said:

Roon lifetime $500.  HQPlayer license $245. That's about 11 years' subscription for those upgrading from 3.5, several years longer if HQPlayer undergoes a version upgrade in the next 11 years (reasonable possibility). And if Roon eliminates the lifetime subscription (which most products do after an initial period to build up capital), Audirvana is always less.

I think Roon/HQP remains the gold standard and will cost more gold as well. :)

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The Berkeley internally upsamples to I believe either 8fs or 16fs. There's no way to get around that. I think using one filter on the outside and a different filter on the inside is a bridge too far for me :~)

Chris, Try poly-sinc hb before the Berkeley. I have an old ML390S that can only take 48/24 max in my BR system. I use the hb filter in front of it to raise or lower everything from Roon to 48/24 and it sounds great. All the other filters messed up the sound because the 390S takes everything to 8fs internally and it of course uses its own filter to do that. Fun experiment.