IGNORED

Phasure NOS1 vs. Pacific Microsonics Model Two

upsample everything to 32/384 (whether via player on-the-fly or via Saracon/Philips/Korg/etc)? What would the computer interface actually be then (i.e does it require a pc with some PCI extender?)

I've been searching Peter's web forum and have read your other comments there (nice and thorough, thanks), but there doesn't seem to be an introduction or basic description of the DAC...only that it sounds great and is unique. The external pic (Sonicweld-like photo)looks quite interesting, but again, no real understanding of where the music files reside, etc

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=642.0;attach=1984;image

Windows pc's or can the newly vaunted Alix and other MDP Linux boxes produce a PCI extender capability....I assume a MAC can't. Also, I realize that the players mentioned, especially Peter's, are Windows-based, but if one were to take the upconvert seriously and do it with Audiogate or Saracon, etc (i.e offline) then we could use any of the chosen OS's players capable of 24/384k right? The downside with offline upconversion.....gonna need to invest in storage. :)

(however, the self-congrat comment is too over the top and not warranted IMo). I think readers of this thread ought to know what the investment is like; they've been told what the return is likely to be. BTW, the latest price I have seen is about $3900 US. The dimensions are not on the website bu the picture I posted above shows the unique footprint, not exactly "rack mountable". :)

Barrows, I always look forward to your posts and your logical approach, and agree about 99.8% of the time. However, if I understand your last statement correctly (and I probably don't) I will argue that not all asynchronous signal paths are inherently therefore better than a PM Model 2. Heck, we have asynch USB DACs at the $1k level; they are decent but not state of the art just because of asynch operation.

upconversion? And I was quite happy with your answer; I am no longer thinking offline upconversion makes sense for those reasons. What is this last post about?? I have no issues with you....I simply said I think asking about size, weight, cost and warranty are good questions, and his calling your posts self-congratulatory are not needed here. What's wrong with that? (Wow, this is getting a bit testy.)

• 2 weeks later...

do the classic "ipod cost of goods" argument. Well, now that you have...it's obvious you know very little about the concept of "cost of goods". In Apple's case, or in the case of any large manufacturer who has committed the resources to large scale manufacturing the economy of (huge) scale is involved, and any tear down of an iPod does not reveal the R&D, the intellectual capital, the cost of physical plant, payroll, marketing, inventory deval, etc. C'mon, really....you think because an ipod's innerds cost $130 and they sell it for $299 that they make $169 pure bottom line profit on each ipod?

Peter, I am interested to know how many you think you can build for resale; meaning, if one of us was quite interested what would the lead time reasonably be (not counting shipping).