IGNORED

Very Disappointed with Tekton Double Impacts

Shouldn't be difficult moving Tektons used even if selling pricewise for same or more because of the delay in manufacturing. Some guys are still waiting for their orders after having been pre-paid for nearly 9 months. 

I do know a reviewer that recently purchased Double Impacts and from his observation they didn't sound great in his room. Mind you, he experimented w/ distance between the D.I.'s and noted how sensitive they were in this regard. He also stated that "most" speakers didn't sound good in his room and he could get the same kinda fidelity from a pair of Klipsch book shelves. 

I own the Tekton Design Ulfberhts and the sound signature I note about these in particular is that they don't exaggerate the bottom end. When listening to replication vs a live concert the kinda bass most listeners want is exaggerated and not accurate to live concert. Most want the kinda exaggeration that is not there without a separate subwoofer. When listening to percussions for example in a live concert the kick drum doesn't send shock waves as well as sternum shots to the listener.... I however, really enjoy this over exaggeration of low frequencies and added two more Tekton Design 4-10s which in my 20x20 ft listening room can now achieve 130+ spl. 

Lastly, upstream component selection was something I didn't put much emphasis on before owning Tektons. Sub-par amplification which sounded good w/ other speakers resulted in Tektons bitching and moaning about the working relationship w/ the gear upstream. I take it that this occurred because of the ohm load the Tektons placed on my then Emotiva XPA Gen 3 amp in which I then upgraded to a DR3 only to describe the fidelity likened to spreading cold butter over toast. It wasn't until I upgraded to Parasound's Halo line of amplification before I changed that to warm butter over soft bread. I'm not too sure about the ohm load of the D.I.s but w/ the Ulfberhts the ohm load dips down to 2.3 ohms .... makes me think that a high current amp is best suited to drive such speakers:

spacer.png

Above shows a 2.3 ohm load dip between 100-108hz. 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Sony 65 inch OLED A8G, Sony 4k Blue Ray X700

Parasound Halo A31 Amplifier

Tekton Ulfberht Speakers w/ Be high frequency upgrade [4 ohms ea.]
Two Tekton Active [300 watts rms] 4-10 Subwoofers

16 minutes ago, PhilBarone said:

Just one question, where do I go about selling them? 

I see a lot of people have move Tektons quick on the FB group Tekton Worldwide Owners.... 
Lots of established Tekton owners wishing to upgrade or they know someone that has demoed their systems and wish to acquire Tektons. 

If I were you I'd advertise them as pick up now, brand new speakers and include "avoid the long wait time". I'd list the speakers for what you paid or a couple of hundred dollars more because of avoiding long delays. Some people want their speakers right now and don't want to wait for months...

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

6 hours ago, mfsoa said:

IIRC the Tekton speaker's sensitivity never measures anywhere close to what the mfgr states. 98 dB sensitivity be damned, these speakers loved (needed?) the hundreds of watts of Class D power and grip we fed them.

People keep parroting this but I wonder how many have tested the manufacturer's sensitivity rating for themselves? Since there's no industry standard I'd think the first thing to verify is the method used by the manufacturer. A lot of people point to an Impact Monitor speaker review performed by Stereophile which deviated from manufacturer methods - not that I have a problem w/ that. 

Simple sensitivity test performed on Tekton Ulfs: https://www.disqus.social/2020/06/tekton-design-ulfberht-speaker.html

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

2 hours ago, PhilBarone said:

I haven't seen an objective review on the Tekton's yet probably because people like Steve Guttenberg would't get anymore stuff from the manufacturers if they were to be honest and I find it incredibly dishonest myself.  I never would have bought these speakers had him and another chucklehead said that the speakers were worth much more.  The young kid that does the reviews on YouTube actually said that people were trading in their 30 thousand dollar speakers and I bought it hook line and sinker.   Such BS. 

Thank you, I'll be taking your advice. Phil

Terry London from Home Theater Review: "I personally know three other professional reviewers who have put their reference speakers (which average $30,000/pair) in the closet and replaced them with Tekton Design Double Impacts." - source: https://hometheaterreview.com/tekton-design-ulfberht-floorstanding-speaker-reviewed/

Personally, if one were to add up the costs of making the D.I.s w/ speakers, cabinets, and crossovers as well as shipping - well, I've come to the conclusion that there really isn't as much profit made by Tekton as other company's gear. The only sacrifice I think people which purchase Tekton make is letting go of furniture grade finishing. Given the psycho acoustical effects that many audio enthusiasts experience that's probably enough to lean away from Tekton. At least for me, I was in the market and about to pull the trigger on the really cool curved furniture pieces called Klipsch Palladiums before I purchased Tekton. Either which way I was not able to audition either so I was at the mercy of honest reviewers. 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

16 minutes ago, PhilBarone said:

My friend used to write for an audio magazine and he tells me flat out not to believe them, at all.  I'd like to meet the people that traded in their 30K speakers for the DI's.  

I don't mean to stir up stuff Phil or be offensive. I've read your listing on FB  to sell your Tektons and found it to be as questionable as allegedly dishonest reviewers... . 
Don't get me wrong, I realize it wouldn't help you selling your D.I.s if you posted that they sounded like crap in your listing. All I am saying is that not all reviewers make something from reviewing gear by the manufacturer. However, if we are going to speculate about everybody's motive or intent it probably be most consistent to exhibit the same optimism towards anyone including ourselves that lists their gear to sell. 
I know one particular reviewer that buys his own gear unaided financially by audio companies and then sells his reviews to a major publication. Matter of fact he recently purchased D.I.s and wrote a review which is awaiting publication now. 
I'll be sure to post a link here to that review when it is published. 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i